Ahhh my joy toy story, worth a quick read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhh my joy toy story, worth a quick read

Well wanted to say this is my first time really posting, this is the only Website my work doesn't filter, and it's actually became one of my favorite *lot's of silly drama, which is fun to read about*. I've been playing since 2004 on the Phoenix server, with some sporadic breaks in between and I finally got my Red to 75 about 3 weeks ago. I've sense gotten some merits and have just been helping people out with area's i can walk around in without aggro . Anyways the story. (Please forgive me if I butcher any words)

It started about 4-5 weeks ago when i had saved up, and finally bought my freaking E-sword. I loved it, it was great...and it was slow. I read the post's here about joyeuse and about Blau Dolch and about the other weapons and how they all compare and decided that when i dinged 75 and when my new Dynamis LS *LandofDreams FTW!* did a stint of Northland zones, I'd man up and camp Charybdis. ^^

So I (75rdm/37blm) head to Sea Serpeant's Groto, with my Gold Beastcoin and determination *to all who seek their joyeuse you'll need that last thing more than the first*! Before i went to the zone I decided it was time to get the Map, so I killed some crabs, and got the chest key, and went and grabed the map *fairly easy to get, nobody has to much of a use for SSG chest's or coffers*.

After I aquired my map (made the rest of trip a tad easier) I headed to the spawn room.
    At this point, I knew I had no chance of solo killing it...well maybe some small chance, but not much, being an elvaan RDM is always tough on the Nuke/Sleep Technique, so I hung out and checked the vibe, (yeah, there's a vibe to that place, if you've camped it you know), and saw who else was camping it. There were about 4 others in the room, one thf/nin, a nin/thf, and 2 others, both with the thf/nin. The Nin/thf never moved and the other 3 where actively camping. I am a nice guy, the kind of guy that if he get's out claimed on a NM will heal/haste/protect/shell the guy that beat me. It's just how I am. So i'm conversing with the 3 in /tell's and just learning about the spawn times and discussing knowledge about charby and what not, and it get's late so I leave my toon logged in to get ToD. Guy's name was Wolfheart(75thf/nin I believe *what up WH ) and I came back the next morning and checked it before work. The 3 where still camping it. Sent 'em a Good Luck, and went to work.

So I come back that night around 4-5pm CST, and check my log and see that Charby was defeated by Wolfheart aprox. 9hrs prior, or just around 8-9 ish AM after i went to work. "Cool" I say to myself, his window is open again, and I have all night. I sent WH a tell and he confirms my ToD and says a couple of his friends are coming to camp it, another RDM and a Nin/war. I ask them if they wanna team up, cause WH dosen't wanna camp it against them, they being LS buddies and what not, and they say sure, the more the safer I imagine. Well 5-6 hours go by and there have been some people that poped in for an hour or 2 at a time, but no real hardcore campers, except for a Japanesse 75ninja/dancer named SoS. (if someone ever translates this for that guy i hope he understands what he did...read on to find out what i mean)

It get's to be around 11pm CST, and the other RDM (tabii hope you get your sword soon) has been gone around 1-2 hrs, and the Ninja that was with her says he has to go also. So i think, well i'll leave him logged in again and get ToD again. I get up, get ready for bed, take contacts out, let my boxer (dog) out to use the lawn, and comeback to check FFxiah.com to see if any of my stuff sold. of course i can't just not check the game so I tab back and it's just me, SoS, and that first nin/thf, that hasn't really moved but a couple times in 2 days. I look around to see if any of the spawns are up, or dead, and Charybdis spawns about 20' in front of me on the near side of the ramp to the door.

Now you can imagine my surprise/excitment/annoyance/sadness all felt in about 3 seconds... Surprise that he spawned right then in front of me! Excitment that I was gonna get my sword! Annoyance that the rest of my trio had left already with no way to come back and my LS was all asleep or otherwise busy. Sadness that I know I'm gonna need some huge luck to get this weapon. Charby is sitting there unclaimed as I look at the nin/dnc and they look at me, and I look at them, and they start to approach it, but hesitate.... I send them a /tell saying in translator "Team up?" hoping that a chance is better than nothing.
    They send me back "Yes, Please!" and it's on!

I invite, the start to buff, and I see the nin/thf from before move for the first time in 4 hrs. He start's casing Ni on himself, and SoS does that dancer move, like provoke and beat's him to the claim by like 2 seconds

If you've ever fought Charybdis ya'll know how he attacks and how much HP it has, it's fast, and it has alot. 2-4 attacks every round, so 3second pause, 2-4 attacks, 3sec, 2-4attacks, etc. Has Job ability, Evasion up, Regen and cone area of affect Blind/dmg, along with AoE dmg, and Double attack single target dmg.

Now...I've heard about Dancers, partied with a few in the early 70's, and had seen some soloing in lufaise meadows and various other areas. I had never seen a Nin/dnc before this fight. If you ever want to be able to solo stuff in this game, there are many job combos that can accomplish different events, or NM's, but Personally you will want to be able to go nin/dnc. Why he invited me i'll never know, cause i think other than a few close calls, they would not have needed me. SoS was like an evading beast, Charyb couldn't touch him and when he did he had a shadow up, and when he didn't he had healing waltz ready. Truly a sight to behold, to watch a nin/dnc solo a IT NM and make it look easy.

So we (i use we lightly) kill it (i dot'd it and haste'd and healed most the fight with some Tier 3 nukes near the end) after about a 35-40 minute fight (note: it was rough in the begining for about 5-8 minutes until we settled into a grove, i had to convert to keep SoS alive, just to be safe.)and we cast lot's on the sword. I roll a 406, and he rolls a 710. "Crap, I should be upset, but that was one of the funniest things i've done In game in a LONG time", I say to myself. He thanks me and bows and salutes and hurrays and i wave and do the same. Very awesome guy, but just how awesome I had yet to find out...

Re: Ahhh my joy toy story, worth a quick read

Heart warming.

Is there a sequel?

Comment

I too will be camping this Nm for my RDM. and Ienjoyed your post bro. well told, and yes, I could imagine how well a nin/dnc could do with great acc gear GL in future

Comment

By the way any Phoenix server peeps, This is Martain, I just realized that I hadn't included my Character's Name anywhere, and also that my "quick read" got sorta long...i'm still excited about it... as you can tell....so to continue..

I come back that morning, ToD would have put the lottery spawn window open again in aprox 3 hrs, so I head to work, UNDAUNTED! (well maybe somewhat daunted...but determined) Work was work, *which is awesome when your EOD* and came back and saw he had been killed aprox 5 hours earlier

*if you don't know how to get ToD on something like that, leave your toon logged in, in the area the NM spawns, and when he pop's and someone claims him, you'll see when he was defeated. Now count backwards the number of CONQUEST Tallys that are showing in your window. It helps to remove your LS pearl, so as not to push the death message past your log memory. example 'charyb was defeated by wolfheart'
        1st Conquest result: Beatsmen on the rise
        2nd Conquest result: Beastmen on the rise
        3rd etc.

now if you have 3 conquests you know he was kille aprox 3-4 hours ago. say you see the 3rd one roll up, so that's 1hour from last one, 1hr from last one 1hr from last one, and NM died sometime before htat one, so 3-4 hours. Sorry i digressed...*

So a couple of my LS mates, Viserys and Velion WOOT woot!, also want the sword so I tell them ToD and they come with me this time, i'm stoked because i think we may have a chance, vel is a pally, and vis is another rdm. well aprox 2 hrs into camping 2 others show up a Nin/dnc and a RDM/blm. Nin/dnc was Corpsegrinder (what up CG, aka old man!) with his friend, A Rdm named Lubii. And about an hour after that… SoS shows up.

Now I hadn’t expected to see him, having got his sword the day before, so I expected he was with some people who where around that I hadn’t seen in the past couple days. Well I threw him a {Hello!} and he shot back a "^^" and that was that.

So me and Vis and Vel are camping and suddenly Vis had to log for some RL stuff, and so it was just me and Vel…tough Charybdis fight but possibly doable, if the LS could send some more mate’s to help. So about 30 min’s later Vel has to go, and he logs, and it’s just me again. And I start talking to Corpsegrinder and he invites me to his and Tabii’s party. So I’m like sweet a nin/dnc and 2 rdm’s got this on lock!.

We’ll Tabii leaves and it’s just me and CG vs. SoS and those other 2 toons who hadn’t moved in 5 hrs. Or so I thought. We’ll It’s late, and I have to work early on Saturday morning, so I tell CG that I’m just going to stay logged in and he says he’ll do the same. I decide to turn my volume up and my Girlfriend is sitting across from the computer playing zoo tycoon on her laptop. I ask her to come wake me up if she hears something like this <call1> and see’s this name on the log screen: Charybdis.

Well I was probably down for 15 minutes, and I was tired so I feel asleep, but before I could get into it deep, I hear this quite whistle being repeated over and over. I come too and throw my shorts and a t-shirt on and come back to the computer to find my girlfriend wondering what the strange noise is, and charybdis sitting there un-claimed by either CG or SoS. She is such an awesome girl friend, and i'm sorta dumb because i told her if she saw Charybdis in the chat log to come get me, and she hadn't seen his name, so no fault of hers. His name didn't appear cause nobody had claimed him.

So I start furiously buffing CG and myself, and tell him to grab it! Which he does, and Sos grabs the link after about 1-2 minutes of fighting It’s pretty hectic, which it was with Sos except this was a bit more so…
        Now CG if you read this your still hot shizl in my book, but I sent SOS a tell when your HP went into the red, just cause, and low and behold he joined instantly. He had came back to help me get my joyeuse. I was stunned.
        So about 30 secs after I invite, CG goes down to a couple quick hits and a WS. And SOS start’s to tank it. He says "No {Cure} no {protect} haste plz" I proceed to haste him, and sit back a wait for CG’s weakness to go, as soon as he’s 100% he jumps back in, and the fight took maybe 20mins.
        It was awesome.
        For the record, CG had maybe +30-40 Evasion/Evasion skill gear, and SoS had +73-83 depending on night/day. Now CG hit faster and did probably 5 more dmg on avg. but I think if he had a chance to fall into his grove he would have had a harder time than SoS, simply because Charby could get to him more.

So I sat there, and DOT’d it, and enfeebled it, and buffed SoS and CG and they ate it alive, and both had their sword and soooo that’s how I got my Joyuese.

It was pretty crazy.
        It’s moments like this that have kept me coming back to FFXI and I hope it’s moments like this that other newer players get to experience. I made 4 new friends, 1 Japanesse, got my Joytoy and an awesome f’ing story that is way to deep to tell in game. Vel, and Vis were getting yours, and after we bust your Genaki Elmer, were getting you yours also. That zone is dank and dismal, but for some reason after my 72+hrs of hanging out there I kinda like it.

The next day, I put my E-sword up for sale on the AH, it sold in 4 hours, and I bought a Blau Dolch the same day. I have a pretty crazy dd setup for rdm, which I know is silly, but it’s great for helping out friends and farming and killing certain NM’s. I can’t wait to get some duelist gear from Dynamis.

If your on the Phoenix server give me a shout, I’m usually on, and will probably say something stupid and dumb but it’s just my way of friendly picking
        That’s my story, it was fun, and hope you don’t feel like 5 minutes of your life is wasted. But if you do, that’s cool, go sit on a table saw.
        OUT!
        Last edited by ShepardG; 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X