Gonna be a Refresh Whore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be a Refresh Whore.

After getting bored of campaign battle after campaign battle for EXP on BLM, I decided I would take a break and level a new job. At first I thought Scholar, but then the dreaded memories of Valkurm and Qufim flooded into my head... so I decided to take up a job I already had past those levels. Eventually, I decided on RDM, which I earlier took up to sub for BLM.

Now, I've read the stickies and such, but I was wondering if there was anything I may need to know from other RDMs that may prove useful in my quest to experience the other side of the refresh chain.
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: Gonna be a Refresh Whore.

Don't be afraid to cure, but don't overlook Regen. And, seeing you were BLM, do remember RDM nuking is more like microwave defrost, when not on MB.

Once you hit 40, try to use up MP to match Convert window. (Leave a margin of safety, of course). Refresh yourself first once you have the spell at Lv.41. You won't do anyone any good unless you have MP.

Blind is the most under-rated enfeeb, followed by Paralyze. Slow is universally appreciated when people notice it. The harder the critter hits, the more those enfeebs will save MP. (Kurayami: Ni beats Blind, but RDM with INT gear should be able to match and maybe exceed Kurayami: Ichi.)
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
      And, seeing you were BLM, do remember RDM nuking is more like microwave defrost, when not on MB.
      Quoted for hilarity (and truth).
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

I see... I will keep that in mind.
        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
        More Sig:

Comment

Don't neglect your other MP users. Naturally you're gonna give the heavy MP users (WHM, SMN, and BLM) and PLDs Refresh, but don't forget your DRKs and BLUs. It still amazes me when I'm meriting and BLUs /bow when I Refresh them regularly. It can only mean that some RDMs ignore them. Shame on them!

Even if you can't get to your DRK every cycle, (depending how full your plate is, keeping a 5/6 or 6/6 Refresh cycle isn't easy) he/shee will be grateful that you tried.

Also, never underestimate the power of Dia.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Also get some sword fun out of the way while you can because once you hit 51 its frowned upon unless your not in the back with your staves ^^
            62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

Well I do have some leaping boots sitting around... maybe if I grab a cheap sword I can get a few shots in. I do know the importance of staves though...

Also, I know how strong Dia(and other DoTs) are. Especially Poison II.
              More Sig:

Comment

Some people will tell you how long refresh lasts and watch the clock and what not. Personally I've found it to be a distraction and it required me to take my eyes off the chat log. Just refresh yourself at the beginning of a cycle. When it wears of you, you know it's time to start another go.

Also, you can cast 2 spells waiting for Refreshes recast. So you could do:

Refresh yourself
                Cast paralyze
                cast slow
                Refresh Tank
                Cast Dia
                cast Blind
                Refresh WHM

and so on.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Although our nukes are like "microwave defrost" (love that), I found that in a quite a few of the parties I was in on my way up that I could toss a few nukes out--tossing out 1 or 1/2 nukes per mob in some cases. The Haste/Refresh cycle later on is probably the most boring--you bugdet your mp to be able to haste/refresh an entire group usually by yourself. Usually it's 1 Refresh and 4 Hastes, but there's not a lot of mp over in these groups to allow for extra stuff. RDM Melee skill kinda peaks around level 30 when they get Centurion's sword. That and a Rice Dumpling can make for some interesting fun. I only got to do it solo generally--too much resting in pt.

Comment

Hey, if you can get your melees to actually skillchain, you can MB for pretty good damage. I was in a party in CN back in my mid-thirties with a BLM that I was almost out-damaging on MB.

Of course, that does start to wane fairly quickly, but it was cool while it lasted.
                    sigpic
                    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Get used to main healing, a few RDMs will say its not what the job is meant to do, but RDM does a pretty damn good job of it, I feel a I could do a better job on RDM then WHM, till I got Cure V and Regen 3...
                      Also dont be afraid to be prissy about PTs, cuz the PT needs you more then you need them quite frankly, I always tried to be nice regardless of how the PT was and I soon found out that voicing your opinion can do a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprian View Post
                        Also dont be afraid to be prissy about PTs, cuz the PT needs you more then you need them quite frankly
                        Guess again. A party can get EXP just fine without a RDM, and definitely without you specifically. I'd like to see you as a solo RDM do that. Each individual needs the party more then the party needs them.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

While it is nice to think of ourselves as irreplacable, Think again. RDM/WHM is an awesome asset to a pty but with all the jobs out there, more and more you begin to see untraditional ptys pop up and tend to be very successful. On the other side of that argument, by all means express your opinon in a pty, just don't be a dick about it.

Case in point I was in a pty not to long ago in Kuftal tunnel fighting Crabs. I was main healer as always and had a 4/6 Refesh cycle and a 3/6 haste cycle going. All the while I was debuffing and curing. On a few occasions every couple of fights Iwould get the infamous /p Dispel Please in my Chat window. Well at this point I was frustrated so istopped to explain that , on ocassion I missed a few dispel but mostly for the reason of either keeping up my cycles or having to save someones ass from dieing. After explaining that I had no inquires into the Dispel issue. I did dispel as often as I could and was able to keep up all the cycles. So in that instance it was some what of an annoyance but we got through it and we ended up with a great pty and alot of EXP.

And as a last note when I told Leader that I needed to go, he had no problems replacing me. He wound up getting a DNC/WHM which IMO was a wierd combo but hey I guess it worked for him. Granted there was alot of support there in that pty. We had SMN/WHM and BRD/ WHM in the pty.

But anyways just my two cents in the fact that we are by no means irreplacable, but definately a sought after Job. Just don't get to much of a big head about it. Humility is key to Being a good RDM in my opinon.
                          Dahc Ramuh server
                          San D'Oria Rank 6
                          RDM 68 WHM 38 BLM 22 PLD 35 SAM 15 NIN 15 WAR 10 BST 34 THF 15 MNK 10 SMN 10 DRK 10 DRG 14 BRD 15 PUP 12 COR 10 RNG 10 BLU 19 DNC 20 SCH 15

Comment

My advice on refresh whoring is stickied. I hope it's useful. -- Pteryx

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprian View Post
                              Also dont be afraid to be prissy about PTs, cuz the PT needs you more then you need them quite frankly, I always tried to be nice regardless of how the PT was and I soon found out that voicing your opinion can do a lot.
                              OMG, please don't listen to this piece of advice. There are far too many rdms with their heads suck up their prissy little arses as it is. Don't lose friends or ruin your rep, just play the game and have fun without the attitude.
                              Originally posted by Feba
                              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                              Originally posted by DakAttack
                              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X