• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akashimo
    replied
    Re: rdm as DD?

Originally posted by Spinnthrift View Post
    Just a question for all these 'exceptional' Rdm who don't need staves and like to melee in exp... where's your mistletein (sp?) and nmn shield for your enfeebles or do they also go by the wayside?
    You mean Misericorde and Numinous Shield?

Leave a comment:

• Spinnthrift
    replied

Just a question for all these 'exceptional' Rdm who don't need staves and like to melee in exp... where's your mistletein (sp?) and nmn shield for your enfeebles or do they also go by the wayside?

Leave a comment:

• Akashimo
    replied

An exceptional rdm would open a sc then start casting the mb spell ;3
    Go go rdm Evis mb Blizz 3 for 700~ ;3
    Last edited by Akashimo; 01-15-2008, 07:23 AM. Reason: a to an

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Main healing is always optional; decline party invitations unless you get a healer with it, or go static with a WHM.

I'll say this for those RDMs who wish to melee; with a WHM in party, the odds of being productive with a sword improve dramatically, since the burden of curing should be lowered by Flash and higher tier regens, and with the WHM easily picking up most of the leftover cures.

A good WHM in party definitely lessens the amount of cure casting needed. That'd be more time for swords, though it still won't solve the problem of TP saving when elmental staves and INT/MND wands are needed to land spells.

There was time (before my RDM's training time) when RDMs supposedly rested while WHM had MP and was curing, for the purpose of building MP to magic bursts. That required skillchains, of course, which are pretty rare these days.

However--not that I would bet money on it--Skillchain may be making a (minor) comeback.

I had one Troll exp/merit party with SC+MB; shockingly enough, it was a melee who suggested it to the BLM leader, as a dragged out Troll fight often involved too many Diamonhides for chaining. Tons of fun--and a few skill ups for my RDM.

More recently, my SCH actually landed in a ~Lv.30 JP party the other day, and the party leader actually asked "What should we do for renkei?" (In Japanese.)

I was stunned. ._. New-ish people, asking for SC instead of PL?! Took me a bit to shake off the paralysis, but I did find them two SC's they could use:

Double Trust > (SATA) Fast Blade :: Distortion
    Tachi Enpi > Blade: Retsu :: Distortion

Some of the members were obviously new and rather unskilled. (I think the THF messed up SATA more than succeeded--brought back fond memory of my own noob THF days.) Still, we had quite a few Distortions, and nearly as many MBs.

Fun fun fun!

No offense to the melee happy RDMs, but I think MB is more interesting than swinging swords.

MB is something that requires good concentration and fairly precise timing for a few seconds, then I can slip back into the more mundane non-stop buff/enfeeb casting mode, unlike the constant distraction that is switching between melee and spell gear.

Plus, at pre-staves levels, a Distortion MB window at the start of the fight was a great way to make sure Paralyze lands!
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 01-15-2008, 04:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Electricity Gone Human
    replied

Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
    IceMage appears to have dove into the dark side of mage jobs....
    *forms a picket to encourages mages returning to the light side*
    I don't really mind caster RDM as long as I'm not main healing to the point where I should be playing more as a support mage.
    Last edited by Electricity Gone Human; 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Originally posted by BurningPanther View Post
    • RDM is last job to ever worry about AoE. Between Stoneskin, Phalanx, Protect/Shell, Bar-spells, Aquaveil, and optional shadows(Blink or Utsusemi), I /rofl everytime someone asks me to stay back for my safety. As if.
      Odds are any AoE strong enough to tear through the RDM's defenses has already killed everyone else, so the RDM's frontline position is both moot and well-earned at that point.
    The condition I set was being able to keep up these buffs. If a RDM can't, and is eating AoE damage, then he fails.

You've completely misunderstood what I wrote.

• If I drop Refresh for more than ten seconds... yay me, I'm human. Something went wrong. I have to Cure-bomb the tank. I had to solo a link. I had to go to beat the Jehovah's Witnesses with a baseball bat. Shit happens. Refreshes will be missed. Sometimes intentionally.
    Read what I wrote again; did it say drop Refresh once and you're out?

And, if you have have be on your toe to handle emergencies like links, wouldn't it make more sense to rest for MP than melee if you're not casting spells? (I'd thought that would be common sense.)

• Of course I'm gonna run out of MP! Refresh only returns so much mana, even with Morrigan's robe and Duelist's chapeau! Convert is still on an 8+ minute timer even after merits! "I just finally ran dry! Woe is me! I guess I'm not fit for the front line! I guess I better go to the back line, where I can do the same, eventually!"
      It's the perpetuation of that ridiculous myth(the one assuming we are an endless wellspring of mana), that gets us in trouble nowadays.
    In a well functioning merit party, I often go from Convert to Convert with no rest, and with just one or two short MP rest for the most part if I do rest. No, I'm not a perfect player with great gear--not even one piece of Auto Refresh.

Not a one time fluke, either.

A good merit party does not stop for my MP, because there is no reason to--I do my best to make sure my MP last from Convert to Convert.

• This one is extremely subjective. You can be a stellar back line caster and still get bitched at because you didn't cast what and when someone thinks you should, let alone front line. I've been right about my priorities and sense of timing more than anyone else in any party or alliance has been mine.
      This is simply where you use your best judgment.
    If you only trust your judgment, how would you know if you're wrong? Other people yelling at you is an indication that you may not be doing as well as you thought.

For me, 90% of the time when party members is asking/reminding/demanding something, it did turn out I was not doing something as well as I should. (There are idiots who demand Haste when I'm bleeding MP from curing him and other idiots up front, but that's actually pretty rare.)

Your overbearing assessment on good front line performance is not only dreamed, but more than a little obtuse and misleading.
    Wyvern has small but consistent damage capability compared to most other "pets". And, it's mostly melee'ing.

Why would asking a RDM to fufill mage duty and do at least as much damage as a (lowly) wyvern's output be "misleading"?

I was thinking if a RDM does less than that, he might as well not bother. If he does more, then, yes, he would be helping with the kill speed significantly enough to warren a spot up front. Hardly unreasonable.

Edit:

And what's this about dropping Cures on yourself?
    ... No one should have to explain this...

Anyway, as Icemage says, MP you used to cure yourself is MP you're not using to Haste/Refresh/Enfeeb, or, cure other people.

Heck, even after Convert, I don't cure myself to full, preferring to slowly Regen and/or Drain my way back to full HP before Convert comes up again.
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 01-14-2008, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Icemage
    replied

I would say, on average, that I have about 200-300MP left during a decent Convert cycle (8:20) if nothing horrible happens during that cycle. Enough for me to toss out at least one Blizzard III and still have enough to cast a last minute Haste or Refresh.

I keep:
    - Refresh on myself and any other casters on at all times (usually there's at least one aside from myself, be it a BRD/WHM or something else).
    - Haste on all melees at all times (usually 3).
    - Protectra II/Shellra II on entire party every 30 minutes
    - Reraise on myself once per hour
    - Regen on all melees at all times unless they're full
    - Stoneskin on myself before Convert (once every 8:20)

I'm on call at any time to cast Gravity, Erase, Poisona, Paralyna, Blindna, Silena, Dispel, Silence, Sleep, or Sleep II. I also like dropping Dia II on particularly difficult enemies like Skoffin or Mamool Ja Lurkers. Cures are always the highest priority. I keep all melees out of yellow or lower HP at all times.

On average, this sees me casting one spell roughly every five to ten seconds, and the trick is sliding in the big expenses (Reraise, Protectra II, Shellra II, Blizzard III) in between the budget for all the rest of the regular cycle. There is literally no time where I can sit down and rest - as soon as one spell is done, I'm already mentally preparing my next two or three spells, and will only interrupt them if something of high priority arises (melee taking damage, Wind Wall/Protect, Warm-Up, etc.).

If I can do it and still have MP to spare, so can someone else. And when a melee-focused RDM can say they can break 25K+/hr in XP consistently the way my parties normally do, then perhaps we can talk about the performance tradeoffs.

Icemage

Leave a comment:

• Akashimo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Icemage
    replied

No, not really. They're pretty unreasonable, actually.
    Actually his list IS reasonable, because it IS possible to do everything he lists - and more.

RDM is last job to ever worry about AoE. Between Stoneskin, Phalanx, Protect/Shell, Bar-spells, Aquaveil, and optional shadows(Blink or Utsusemi), I /rofl everytime someone asks me to stay back for my safety. As if.

Odds are any AoE strong enough to tear through the RDM's defenses has already killed everyone else, so the RDM's frontline position is both moot and well-earned at that point.
    I don't think anyone's saying you're going to just die if you run to toward a monster - unless it's a Goblin or a Bomb or something, but if I have the option of either taking hits to my Stoneskin or not taking hits and not having to spend MP to recast it and/or heal myself afterwards, I'll always pick not taking the damage.

My only caveat to your demand: "if you can't keep at least two protective buffs on yourself(re: Stoneskin/Phalanx), you should move to the black line."

And what's this about dropping Cures on yourself? That's the whole effing point! That's freaking magic of RDM! When he gets hit, you don't have to waste mana covering him! He does it himself! If I get hit, I better damn well Cure myself and then get right back at it!
    Yes, but that takes away MP than you could be spending on more useful things - like keeping your party alive.

If I drop Refresh for more than ten seconds... yay me, I'm human. Something went wrong. I have to Cure-bomb the tank. I had to solo a link. I had to go to beat the Jehovah's Witnesses with a baseball bat. Shit happens. Refreshes will be missed. Sometimes intentionally.
    Funny, I don't generally miss refreshes. Sometimes it happens, but very, very rarely. As in Refresh being down for a total of 60 seconds in a 2 hour XP session. Practice it enough and it becomes fairly second nature.

Of course I'm gonna run out of MP! Refresh only returns so much mana, even with Morrigan's robe and Duelist's chapeau! Convert is still on an 8+ minute timer even after merits! "I just finally ran dry! Woe is me! I guess I'm not fit for the front line! I guess I better go to the back line, where I can do the same, eventually!"

It's the perpetuation of that ridiculous myth(the one assuming we are an endless wellspring of mana), that gets us in trouble nowadays.
    This is an incorrect assumption. We don't have "endless" mana, but it is certainly possible to get awfully darned close.

I do no resting when playing RDM in merit parties. I'm casting spells 100% of the time, and yet I don't run out of MP in my merit parties that get effectively infinite XP chains.

I'll take a screenshot of an XP chain next time I'm in a party and show you.

This is the one part I might actually agree with. If your Enfeebling spells aren't landing, you have bigger issues than wanting to front line. However, if you're maybe 1-2 on MAcc, it can possibly be an issue compensated for by armor and accessories, not necessarily needing wands and staves. Anything more than 1-3, and I'd have to agree that it might be better to concentrate on the casting.
    No one cares much about whether Slow or Paralyze land on first try, but failing Silence or Sleep is going to cost you. Even with Silence, I have the worst time trying to nail down Mamool Ja Blusterers even with a staff and 3 levels of Wind Accuracy merits plus 8 levels of Enfeebling merits. There's no way a sword-wielding RDM is going to do any better than I am, and my hit rate isn't much better than maybe 60% as it is, which means even despite all I can do, Banishga III or the odd tier III elemental -ga still manages to land on my party from time to time - but a good solid number of them don't because I'm watching for exactly that.

Your overbearing assessment on good front line performance is not only dreamed, but more than a little obtuse and misleading.
    He's not wrong. It IS possible to do everything he's saying, and then some.

You say that caster-advocates are delusional because they aspire to be perfect casters with effectively limitless MP.

I'm telling you that this is a worthy goal, and completely possible - I do it every single time I go out for a merit party.

Icemage

Leave a comment:

• Celeal
    replied

Originally posted by Celeal
    From a DD stand point of view, RDM's melee dmg output only fits in support damage

This reminds me of something I've been wondering. Exactly how does one tier damage?

When referring to RDM damage dealing, we are often berated, or dismissed, as even our best output "pales to a dedicated DD." But compared to whom?

My average damage obviously pales before WAR, MNK, DRK, DRG has been known to keep up with Theives and PLDs, barring Weapon Skill numbers.

So what are we comparing it to? If we're constantly gonna be compared to the likes of the former four, then we should just hang up the chapeaus and rapiers.
    Sorry for the late reply ( I was away )

I know each player's have different expectation of a DD. I will give my 2 gil~

For example:
    • If the DD is responsible for planting Hate on Tank (Trick Attack), I expect that, as soon as his Trick Attack timer is ready, his TP is 100+. And his WS must NOT sux.
    • If the DD can deal spike damage: If the mob needs to die now, the mob dies now. (What I mean is timing, for keeping exp. chain alive)
    • If the DD role is major DoT of the party, I expect high accuracy and each attack dmg is good and consistent. (according to the dmg formula)
    • If the DD is a dead-weight to the party (MP-stink or lack damage output, etc), he fails.
    Anything else, I consider as support damage.

There is nothing wrong with support damage. I am okay with that. If I am building a party and fill in jobs that comes with support damage, I expect them to share other role(s) as well.
    Last edited by Celeal; 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

That last bullet statement. Its gonna happen no matter what.
    Nope. Most parties hate to bug the RDM, unless the RDM is seriously messing up. (Like I did when fighting unexpected monster with self buffs I wasn't familiar with, so wasn't dispelling. >_>; In my defense I was busy trying to keep people alive, but not using Dispel when I should is a mark against me.)

10sec haste/refresh one; There are times when even on back lines its gonna happen, either due to sleep/pulling or recovering from massasive spike dmg.
    If the camp is dangerous there could be emergencies, it makes even more sense to get out of the front line to make sure you have MP reserve, no?

You'e bashing one thing rdms want to do, which is the one job wars only do.
    I thought what every RDM wants to do is to be an asset to the party?

In any case, I've melee'ed in a few exp parties before. (Surprised?) A particular one comes to mind: there was a great tank, another RDM, and bunch of Colibri which we were afraid to cast spells on. (Both of us forgot we can erase or -na whatever enfeebles we use.) We got bored, and started using our swords. >_>

Obviously, all the mage stuff were well covered (to the point of overlapping Cure, Refresh, and Haste), sans the enfeebs.

If I do that party over again, I'd rather enfeeble then erase/na than bring more gears for melee'ing; the combined output of the RDMs were laughable. (Then again, I'd also get rid of the other RDM, and add a different job. My RDM in party is good enough. >_> <_<; )

Leave a comment:

• BurningPanther
    replied

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
    Are those demands to a DD RDM reasonable?
    No, not really. They're pretty unreasonable, actually.
    Your demands sound about as reasonable expecting a NIN to keep up shadows perfectly(as in "no damage") while holding hate absolutely(as in "Curaga 4 goes unnoticed") throughout a session, or a WHM to keep all six members in the yellow while removing status ailments the same second the are afflicted, or a BRD to to keep songs on melee and mages perpetually while pulling.
    Now that I think of it, I just demanded less of the jobs I mentioned in the situations I just mentioned, which still turn out to be unreal.
    What you're asking for is RDM Jesus Christ in the Garden of Eden, Vana'diel edition. Moreover, you know it's an unreal expectation. So what are you playing at?
    • RDM is last job to ever worry about AoE. Between Stoneskin, Phalanx, Protect/Shell, Bar-spells, Aquaveil, and optional shadows(Blink or Utsusemi), I /rofl everytime someone asks me to stay back for my safety. As if.
      My only caveat to your demand: "if you can't keep at least two protective buffs on yourself(re: Stoneskin/Phalanx), you should move to the black line."
      And what's this about dropping Cures on yourself? That's the whole effing point! That's freaking magic of RDM! When he gets hit, you don't have to waste mana covering him! He does it himself! If I get hit, I better damn well Cure myself and then get right back at it!
    • If I drop Refresh for more than ten seconds... yay me, I'm human. Something went wrong. I have to Cure-bomb the tank. I had to solo a link. I had to go to beat the Jehovah's Witnesses with a baseball bat. Shit happens. Refreshes will be missed. Sometimes intentionally.
    • Of course I'm gonna run out of MP! Refresh only returns so much mana, even with Morrigan's robe and Duelist's chapeau! Convert is still on an 8+ minute timer even after merits! "I just finally ran dry! Woe is me! I guess I'm not fit for the front line! I guess I better go to the back line, where I can do the same, eventually!"
    • This is the one part I might actually agree with. If your Enfeebling spells aren't landing, you have bigger issues than wanting to front line. However, if you're maybe 1-2 on MAcc, it can possibly be an issue compensated for by armor and accessories, not necessarily needing wands and staves. Anything more than 1-3, and I'd have to agree that it might be better to concentrate on the casting.
    • This one is extremely subjective. You can be a stellar back line caster and still get bitched at because you didn't cast what and when someone thinks you should, let alone front line. I've been right about my priorities and sense of timing more than anyone else in any party or alliance has been mine.
      This is simply where you use your best judgment.

And for the record, I will agree that any RDM should be smart to avoid Silence AoE... but then I agree more that every mage should be smart to carry echo drops on them. In which case I say "go for it."
    Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
    This sounds like an intriguing idea: convert Fast Cast to Haste? This could definately give Red Mages more incentive to diversify and Melee occasionally.
    Also, Enspell II: imbue the weapon so it gives a boost to spells of a corresponding element: the "Sword Antenna" logic.
    I've been of the strong opinion(like "Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick to the face" strong), that the best combat related boosts RDM could possibly--and fittingly--receive, would be from passive-aggressive traits. Subtle Blow, Acc Bonus, Counter, Triple Attack(okay, the last one seems a stretch, but bear with me); traits that enhance the combat performance, in keeping with class lore(that of a "spellcasting fencer", light, lean, accurate attacks and parries), while taking care to avoid direct increases in damage(thusly not treading on dedicated DD's roles).

And you've already read my feelings on En-spells. Though the "Antenna" concept of a tier 2 sounds tasty.
    Last edited by BurningPanther; 01-14-2008, 06:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Akashimo
    replied

Itaza....I'm taking a note from BLM's book...
    /stab
    /ma Hadoken Itaza.
    /joy

Serious response.
    That last bullet statement. Its gonna happen no matter what.
    10sec haste/refresh one; There are times when even on back lines its gonna happen, either due to sleep/pulling or recovering from massasive spike dmg.

You'e bashing one thing rdms want to do, which is the one job wars only do.
    Wars: Tank, pull, DD, backup/duo tanking.
    Rdms: pull, support, dd

Notice, both been placed to do 1 thing generally. And when most times when asked to do another of the tasks possible, not prepared or willing.

>_>
    Akashimo's Red Mage Anger Skill rises to 210.

Leave a comment:

• Electricity Gone Human
    replied

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
    (Don't think I have to ask RDM to get away from monsters with silencega, I hope.)
    And why do you think we've grown to carry echo drops a lot now?

*gives the finger to that goddamn Heraldic Imp right behind me*

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Parse it.

Preferably, in a party with a Dragoon, so you can compare output; if you out damage the wyvern without dropping Haste, Refresh, and enfeebles, go for it--your melee'ing is an asset. Otherwise, aim for 10% of the total damage or higher.

However:
    • If you're getting hit by AoE to the point where stoneskin isn't absorbing most of the damage--if you or someone else has to keep dropping cures on you--go back to the back line.
    • If you drop Refresh or Haste for more than 10 seconds more than a couple of times, go back to the back line.
    • If the party has to stop killing stuff because you don't have MP, go to the back line.
    • If the enfeebles are not sticking, recast with the right staff or wand. If nothing sticks well without staff/wand, go to the back line.
    • If the party is screaming at you for Dispel, Silence, Haste, Refresh--doesn't matter how you think you're doing--get away from the front, and go to the back line and concentrate on the spells.

Are those demands to a DD RDM reasonable? Prove you can damage, and not drop mage duty--otherwise, get out of the front line, and concentrate on spells and MP from the back. (Don't think I have to ask RDM to get away from monsters with silencega, I hope.)
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X