RDM 51 need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDM 51 need some advice

Well it has been a while since i played RDM, mostly due to lack of funds to purchase good gear. So far I have 3 elemental staffs that i have macroed in to my spells. but when it come down to gear, I get alot of questions as to why my gear sucks. Well my answer is usually cause I have no gil. Now by no means will i stoop to RTM to get the quick fix for this, but on the other hand I want to lvl my rdm badly. I currently have the RDM AF feet and leg, recently beet miser murphy but that is as far as I have gotten on AF gear. I was hoping that since i play healr most often that waiting to get to the level where i can wear my AF gear will save on having to purchase Armor and then I can focus on getting accessories. Now here is my problem , I rarely have over 10k gil , I have lvled my Woodworking to lvl 21, and I have a tough time farming. I usually go to ghelsba outpost to log for elm logs to make my gil, not a fool proof system btw some days i get none. So was wondering if there are any other RDMs out there with good advice on a couple of things:

1 good location for farming with 51/25 RDM/WHM
    2 what accessory gear should I be wearing
    3 are there any BCNM or NM that drop items that I can use for RDM
    4 any good help that will get me gil

As for my gear this is my current line up

Main:
    Fencing Degen
    Yew wand +1
    Ice Staff
    Wind Staff
    Light Staff
    Secondary:
    Targe
    Head:
    none
    Neck:
    Holy Phial
    Earring Left:
    Onyx
    Earring Right
    Onyx
    Body:
    Iron Scale Mail
    Hand:
    Iron Finger Gauntlet
    Ring Left:
    Mana Ring
    Ring Right:
    Tourmaline Ring
    Back:
    Red Cape
    Waist:
    Mowashb sash
    Legs:
    Iron scaleCruises
    Feet:
    Mage's sandals

Any and all advice is welcome as well as any critisism ----- got thickskin I can handle it
    Dahc Ramuh server
    San D'Oria Rank 6
    RDM 68 WHM 38 BLM 22 PLD 35 SAM 15 NIN 15 WAR 10 BST 34 THF 15 MNK 10 SMN 10 DRK 10 DRG 14 BRD 15 PUP 12 COR 10 RNG 10 BLU 19 DNC 20 SCH 15

Re: RDM 51 need some advice

You need to take the time to gather gil. If you have /BLM or /NIN ready, you can try BS40 Under Observation. RDM/WHM may work as well, but I'm not as sure.

I often walk away from parties with 2-3 stacks of crystals. Selling those usually pays for food and then some. Check the How to make money as a newbie more more ideas.

Dark Staff for hMP, Sleep, Aspir, and Drain. Earth Staff for Slow. You absolutely should have them.

You really should have a MND gear subset (for Slow, Paralyze, Silence, Stoneskin) and an MP subset (for convert) by now, and macroed in situationally. INT subset is optional, but good to have.

Magic Cuisses (Lv.48) is ~7k on my server, and that's INT+3 and MND+3 right there. Tourmaline Ring is worthless. Get a pair of MND+ rings, and one more MP ring (such as Electrum Ring; HP-20 MP+20 at ~5k.) INT rings for Sleep, Poison, etc. would be nice, too.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

^

I sincerely doubt he's had the funds to level Ninja if he's struggling to keep up with the (relatively inexpensive) costs of Red Mage.

As for synthcrafting, I wouldn't expect to make any money at crafting until at least level 50 or so. For relatively quick and consistent money without needing tons of skill, go develop your Fishing skills instead.

Icemage

Comment

Back in those days, when lightning crystals used to sell for like 5k

I always farm at a place where NO ONE actually goes to (if you have chains of promathia).

go to Carpenter's Landing from Jugner forest and fight lightning clusters. it was easy getting those.

BUT If you're trying to make quick gil, then I wouldn't suggest seeing them as 1.7k in AH in jeuno for 1 stack of lightning clusters.

what I did to earn gil is to do Teleporting services (unless you have the scrolls and level 36+ white mage)

it would be good to tele for quick gil lol

one time I was teleing a party of people who were 65+, one person gave me 50k, and that's good service lol

Comment

Get a Dark Staff. Really. For partying, yes you can wear all your AF, though hands and feet are very good candidates for other gear.

For parties, focus on having mage gear that boost MP, INT, MND and hMP. Leave the heavier armor for soloing. There is also Crow gear that has Enmity- on it. At least get something on your head.

You're entering the long stretch of resists. Having MND gear for MND spells, INT for INT spells and the right Elemental staves all macroed for the right spells will make your life a whole lot easier.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I actually never macroed before because it was confusing,

although I was able to put in SATA macros for thief lol.

but if I come back into playing I'll try to use macros although I can do without

Comment

Originally posted by Radiuz View Post
              but if I come back into playing I'll try to use macros although I can do without
              Not playing optimally you can't. You will find the need to switch 5 or more pieces of gear for spells. There is no way you can switch the gear and find the right spell faster then I can hit ALT-X then CTRL-Y.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                Not playing optimally you can't. You will find the need to switch 5 or more pieces of gear for spells. There is no way you can switch the gear and find the right spell faster then I can hit ALT-X then CTRL-Y.

That's BECAUSE my brother moved out and it was his account and I had no way playing ffxi but my mother ordered PS2 HDD with FFXI so in janurary I can start playing again.

do you have any idea how long I play a day?

I play about 20 hours+ a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                  Get a Dark Staff. Really. For partying, yes you can wear all your AF, though hands and feet are very good candidates for other gear.

For parties, focus on having mage gear that boost MP, INT, MND and hMP. Leave the heavier armor for soloing. There is also Crow gear that has Enmity- on it. At least get something on your head.

You're entering the long stretch of resists. Having MND gear for MND spells, INT for INT spells and the right Elemental staves all macroed for the right spells will make your life a whole lot easier.
                  Quoting to emphasize what he said. I use Light, Dark, Ice, Earth and Wind Staff for XP purposes on my 61RDM atm, Devotee's Mitts/some other gloves for MND/INT spells, MND/INT rings for the same purpose, +1INT earrings cause I haven't bought the MND ones yet >_>, and a few other things. With the exception of the staffs, Devotee's Mitts you should have already from leveling. It only costs 10k right now on Hades, good from level27 and at level61 I'm STILL switching it in for Cures and other MND based spells.

That's BECAUSE my brother moved out and it was his account and I had no way playing ffxi but my mother ordered PS2 HDD with FFXI so in janurary I can start playing again.

do you have any idea how long I play a day?

This...this makes no sense whatsoever to what he replied to you with.
                  Last edited by Clever Ninja; 12-11-2007, 07:00 AM. Reason: to not double post
                  Cleverness - Hades
                  75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                  DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

That's nice. In addition to believing you like to exaggerate, biology says there's no way you're faster then my two keystrokes.

loose

Comment

I never actually thought macros was that helpful, although I was thinking people in-game would complain because I dont use macros for upper 55's

and... " biology says there's no way you're faster then my two keystrokes." I have no idea what you mean.

Im not really that fast typing, and pressing macros.

Comment

Hello rdm!

Get rid of all that melee stuff! Sell it all and get clothing for your rdm that has stats that boost mnd - int - mana. Thats the first, then get the 8 different elemental staves, they will increase your spells acc and potency alot.

Make a macro set just for playing rdm in parties with. Make sure you have one macro bar just for the spells you have to use alot so they are only a button away instead of a bunch of menus and scrolling. Under you /ma commands in the next line /equip main <relative Staff> this way your spells will be a touch away and the proper staff will automatically equip for the spell.

I found it easier for 1 macro bar to be enfeebles and a nuke the other for party support spells, refresh - haste - curez - etc. This should fumble proof your casting.

/whm for an increase in party invites, if theres already a whm in party /blm. As main healer its way easier to /whm for Divine Seal + Curaga.
                        Apothecary Owner
                        Mithra
                        BLM 75
                        RDM 75

Comment

I never actually thought macros was that helpful, although I was thinking people in-game would complain because I dont use macros for upper 55's

and... " biology says there's no way you're faster then my two keystrokes." I have no idea what you mean.

Im not really that fast typing, and pressing macros.
                          I'm not really sure what the purpose of this is for or how it helps the OP. You're posts, in general, seem to be like the ramblings of a person who likes to talk just to hear their own voice and for no other purpose, or perhaps you're just trying to increase your post count so you can post a link to some horrible virus-infested gilseller website.

And to the OP.

The earrings definitely need an upgrade.

While this site is no longer maintained, here is a link that will help you:

http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/advanced.php

Since you're not terribly rich (judging from the requests for things that can help you make money), I won't reference anything terribly expensive.

You'll want the consider the following accessories--the starred items are must-have:

*Saintly Ring +1 x2
                          *Eremite's Ring +1 x2
                          *Electrum Ring (very cheap)
                          Antivenom Earring (You can get these from Assault if you don't want to buy)
                          Insomnia Earring (Also from Assault)
                          Moldavite Earring (You'll need help to camp Mysticmaker)

Earrings are terribly uninteresting unless you have some cash to burn. They're very expensive and have very small effects in general. You should hold off on earring upgrades until you have gotten the greater portion of your other gear. The exceptions are Antivenom and Insomnia which are very good items and well worth getting your hands on, especially the Anti-venom which has +1 hMP.

Comment

Solace Ring should be cheaper than Saintly Ring +1; even Turquoise Ring would be better than what he has now--which is no MND rings. Wisdom Ring (or Goshenite Ring) over Eremite's Ring +1, too; he doesn't need to blow what little gil he has on Lv.10 +1 rings.

Agreed on Antivenom Earring, and I also think the limited funds should be spent on other slots first as well. Moldavite Earring is a luxury these days, and the OP should worry about getting gil first instead of getting help for Moldavite.
                            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Just a note to the older players. You do need to take into consideration how much bag space he's got. From a rough glance, he's at least 31 pieces of gear that he's being told to carry. Breaking 40 slots is where the bag quest jumps in price so, with his cash woes, I'm assuming he's got 40 at best. That leaves 9 slots for food and pearls. So now he's down to 7 slots for sundries and loot, loot that he'll need to pay for (if only in part) all of the gear he'll need for swaps.

Macros and hotkey skills are one thing but you've got to factor the backpack logistics in as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X