16 magic merits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 magic merits

So now that we can put 16 merits into magic skill what else will you be meriting?
    I'm going with 8 enfeebling, 8 dark magic myself.

Re: 16 magic merits

I think I'm going for full enhancing, some enf, and some dark.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Now that I've learned how to kite, I've developed a new appreciation for unresisted Binds. That in addition to that thread on alla a while back showing that enfeebling magic skill actually does have an effect on debuff potency as well as accuracy make full merits in enfeebling a pretty easy choice.

I already have Duelist's Gloves, so provided I can get my hands on a Merciful Cape I shouldn't have too hard of a time hitting my target of 300 for enhancing skill without meriting it, that number being the last attainable breakpoint for Phalanx II. Squeezing another point out of Phalanx I and Enspell would be kindof nice, but I rarely rely on those spells in tense situations so I don't feel it's really worth the effort.

My target for dark magic skill is 211, since that's the last attainable skill level that Bio II sees any benefit. Same comment for Drain and Aspir accuracy as for Enspell and Phalanx: nice but not really a big deal. Again, that number is pretty easy to obtain through equipment alone, though I might consider putting one merit in until I get a Merciful Cape so I can break that barrier with just Dark Torque + Dark Earring. The only reason I might ever consider meriting dark magic further would be to push Bio III into the hypothetical 9dmg/tick bracket.

Elemental magic skill is a little tempting. I do get resisted a lot more than I'd like by IT+ mobs, but I figure anything hard that I solo is going to be determined more by endurance than damage output and anything I fight in a group isn't going to go down noticably faster because of more accurate rdm nukage.

So, not seeing that much benefit from meriting those other three skills in the context of the equipment I have access to, I think I'll hold off on my remaining magic skill merits for blu or smn, since those skills seem to provide more tangible benefits to their respective jobs.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
        So now that we can put 16 merits into magic skill what else will you be meriting?
        HP/MP like I had originally planned.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Go for full MP!

In my case I find myself using Barspells, Enspells, Phalanx, Stoneskin (and Drain/Aspir/Stun) waaay more often than I get my Enfs resisted.

But then again I haven't looked on numbers regarding Enf. skill vs Benefit; so I dunno if those 8-16 skill points will make much of a difference (specially once I get Duelist's Chapeau).

If I don't go crazy and dump all my merits on Dark instead 50/50 with Enf. skill that is.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
            Go for full MP!
            Geared up and going /blm I have 50MP less then I do HP, so I was going to bring that up even and then boost them together for easy no special gear converts.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I've already got full Enfeebling, now it's a coin toss to see if I go for full Enhancing or Elemental...

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                My target for dark magic skill is 211, since that's the last attainable skill level that Bio II sees any benefit.
                Bio II can be pushed up to 8dmg/tic with 290+ dark magic skill.

Question: Is the max that we can merit one magic type going to remain at 8 or can we do something like Elem. lvl 12, Enfeeb. lvl 4?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cotners View Post
                  Bio II can be pushed up to 8dmg/tic with 290+ dark magic skill.
                  Yeah, but that number is only achievable for blms and drks. A rdm with all possible +dark skill gear and full merits has 268 max, including triggered Diabolos' Ring and Inferno Sabots +1. So even on darksday new moon, we can't break out of the 211-268 skill 6dmg/tick tier.

-- edit --

Sorry, was only counting 6 dark magic skill merits. The actual max number is 272 max for a rdm. So on one day per Vana'diel month we can break into the 7dmg/tick bracket. >.>
                  Last edited by Taskmage; 05-30-2007, 10:54 AM.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Question: Is the max that we can merit one magic type going to remain at 8 or can we do something like Elem. lvl 12, Enfeeb. lvl 4?
                    The official announcement states:
                    "Magic Skills" maximum total ability increases:
                    8 > 16

*The maximum limit for each of the abilities within these categories will remain unchanged.
                    So it sounds like you'll still only be able to pump Elemental skill up by 8 upgrades.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

boohoo. Still, Elem skill +16 and Enfeeb skill +16 is gonna rock... That'll put my enfeebling at 276! Not bad for a blm.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        Geared up and going /blm I have 50MP less then I do HP, so I was going to bring that up even and then boost them together for easy no special gear converts.
                        Oh true you are a taru, for some reason I thought you were elvaan.
                        sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                          Oh true you are a taru, for some reason I thought you were elvaan.
                          Eww, god no.

loose

Comment

boohoo. Still, Elem skill +16 and Enfeeb skill +16 is gonna rock...
                            I don't understand; I thought the limit is 8 per magic skill, and will remain at 8?
                            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Nah, up to 8 merit levels, or +16 skill.
                              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X