Chat filters for the red mage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat filters for the red mage

I was just wondering what chat filters do you guys use for when in a exp party. I was in my first party yesterday and with no chat filters; had a hard time seeing what enfeebles stuck/resisted/wore off.

So I put on some chat filters.(quite a bit actually; I could only see the damage the Mob was doing and I watch the HP of everyone through the party bar on the right, and special attacks done by the party) (ex:provoke, bio, etc.)

So can someone give me some tips on what chat filters to use?

and some tips on how to watch enfeebles would be nice.

level 14 RDM btw.
    Don't you just hate those people who name their characters after other games like Devil may Cry and animes like Trigun? ^^

Re: Chat filters for the red mage

I don't filter anything. I find that later on, it's important to see who hit what, for what damage, what hits missed, and what spells landed or missed. I was watching the Fenrir solo video, and I noticed the RDM featuring didn't filter the chat, he just changed the colors. Everything irrelevant to his spellcasting was dialed down in color, taking on a more shadowy tone. Of course, anything relating to him was of brighter color.

I suggest going into the Config setting and diddling with the chat colors until you find what you like.

Comment

I filter:
      Everything to do with Allies except damage taken.
      Everything to do with Others and NPCs.
      Attacks I evade.
      Attacks party members evade.
      Party's missed attacks.

Don't filter your missed attacks, or you won't be able to tell when your enfeebles get resisted.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post

Don't filter your missed attacks, or you won't be able to tell when your enfeebles get resisted.

Icemage
        You can tell if you're resisted if you don't get a message saying it stuck :p

Comment

Originally posted by elyssa View Post
          You can tell if you're resisted if you don't get a message saying it stuck :p
          Not true - missed enfeebles aren't always failed because you failed to land it - it might just have no effect. Casting Slow against an enemy with a Haste buff up will get filtered, but casting it again does nothing. Casting Paralyze on an enemy that already has a Paralyze effect up also will get filtered for the same reason.

It's never safe to assume that the spell failed due to resists.

Icemage
          Last edited by Icemage; 12-19-2006, 09:31 AM.

Comment

If I'm main healing, I often filter party damage, but I leave it on if I've got my parser running. One thing to note about filtering party damage is that it makes it difficult to throw Magic Bursts, but easier to see your buff-wears fly by if you've got a hectic Refresh/Haste cycle. If I've got damage codes on I sometimes maximize the log so I don't miss anything. I use the most transparent background so that I can still see what's going on even though it's a bit blurry.

Comment

well, I am in the dunes right now, so that should tell you that we dont do SC or magic burst :p

I'm looking at ice mages filters, those are looking good and I did notice I didnt see them get resisted, gotta change that

thanks everyone.
              Don't you just hate those people who name their characters after other games like Devil may Cry and animes like Trigun? ^^

Comment

I prefer to see my own miss/resist message.

I filter all damages except myself. I can heal fine just looking the health bar.

I can MB by timing the "*name* uses weapon skill" message. No need to see the damage unless you want it.
                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                  I prefer to see my own miss/resist message.

I filter all damages except myself. I can heal fine just looking the health bar.

I can MB by timing the "*name* uses weapon skill" message. No need to see the damage unless you want it.
                  I agree. I'm only concerned with enfeebling, if someone is being afflicted with some nasty debuff (therefore requiring an Erase) and that sort of thing. I don't care about monitoring my personal high Thunder II or whether or not I'm pwning that Ninja's Blade:Jin with my Banish II.

I don't understand how other RDMs can operate with nothing filtered. Sure, it's doable, but I rather spare the ensuing migraine with just a few filters.

Comment

Working...
                  X