X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elemental Staves and farming

Originally posted by NuLLiFy
    I'm kinda in a dilemna here. My brother wants his dark and light staff back so that puts me back at 0 of the elemental staves. Those two are the most important I hear so farming for those will be a real pain. Light is 350k and Dark 150k. I really don't see how I'm supposed to make that much money. I'm always floating around 10k-50k. Any ideas on farming or staves I could skip for the time being. Ice is only 20k so I guess I should pick one up now? I would have to farm for a year at this rate before I can level "effeciently" again.
    It's very easy for a guy your level to make money. Just do what others have said and work your way up through thf. You can make a lot simply from all the crystals and drops you get on your way up. The best place to level and make money at the same time is Sarutabaruta. After you get to level 3 or 4 you'll be set to take on Carrion Crows. The main things they drop are Bird Feathers, Bird Eggs and Fire Crystals. The important thing is, no matter how much exp you get from them, you stay with crows until lvl 9 or 10.

Why do I say that? That's because they become pretty easy kills fairly quickly and you got a shot at a fire crystal each time. This is hands down the best way to get fire crystals and you can sell your stacks of crystals and feathers on the AH. A good place to start is around the tower at the southeastern corner of East Sarutabaruta. There are plenty of crows, goblins, and crawlers there, though I wouldn't touch the crawlers until I had gained a few levels. If you actually enter the Horutoru Ruins, you'll find loads of bats and goblins. Here you can load up on bat wings, wind crystals, fire crystals, and wild onions until you get sick of them. Those are all pretty good sellers as well. Or once you hit level 10 you can go after giant bees which will drop chips and honey. It's extremely easy to make money if you know where to look and focus on killing lots of weak enemies rather than getting exp. As long as you focus on the number of enemies you kill instead of large amounts of exp you'll have plenty of cash before you know it. Leveling up is just a bonus.

After you get thf to 15 then you can take rdm anywhere and pretty much rake it in. Go after slimes in Korrokola Tunnel for slime oils. They sell for a pretty penny. Take down some giants in Delkfutt's tower. You get high gil drops as well as gigas items. Or go mow down cralwers and goobue in Rolanberry or leeches in Pashow. Go after treants, tigers, or farm beetles for jaws in Jugner Forest. Hunt elementals whenever the weather appears in Qufim, Pashow, Tahrongi, and Jugner for decent gil. You're at a high enough level where you can easily make 40K an hour if not more. Seriously all it takes is very little effort. You can have the money you need for your staves in a couple of days time of serious famring once you get thf to 15, and really by the time you get thf to 15 you should have plenty of cash.
    My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
    Originally posted by Balfree
    Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by Chirasi

With your own Refresh/Convert, I don't think Dark Staff is that important to RDM compare to BLM/SMN/WHM.
      I found that I rarely use a Dark Staff on my rdm. I'm usually very busy during a fight so there is no resting. Then after the fight if I sit, it never fails to happen that its time to start the refresh chain over! So back up and then another mob is in camp.....wash, rinse, repeat!
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
        I found that I rarely use a Dark Staff on my rdm. I'm usually very busy during a fight so there is no resting. Then after the fight if I sit, it never fails to happen that its time to start the refresh chain over! So back up and then another mob is in camp.....wash, rinse, repeat!
        Exactly. So I think for RDM without staff, get Ice Staff/Light Staff is better than Dark staff for exp PT.

Comment

RDM's use of Dark Staff is really for only for Sleep/Sleep II. I'll agree with the above posts and say Ice Staff is a better investment if you have to choose. With Refresh, opportunities to rest are so rare in typical parties that Dark Staff's primary bonus (+10 hmp) is mostly negated.

Icemage

Comment

I'll agree as well. I rarely get to rest in any exp party and the first staff I got was Ice. Followed by Dark and then Light and then Earth. The general order of selection varies but I think most rdms opt for the Ice Staff first.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I did get a Wind Staff last of all. Don't want people thinking I exp without one ><
            Last edited by nanatsu; 09-23-2005, 12:25 AM.
            My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Well I seem to have plenty of time to get a few ticks during the fight or after (YES, keeping people refreshed/hasted/etc.) and my dark staff really helps with the little time I can squeeze in some ticks of mp.

Comment

Originally posted by Keji
                Well I seem to have plenty of time to get a few ticks during the fight or after (YES, keeping people refreshed/hasted/etc.) and my dark staff really helps with the little time I can squeeze in some ticks of mp.
                Get wind first hands down. Gravity is our most useful debuff because we're the only job that can do it. Other jobs have much more potent forms of our other debuffs (slow:elegy, paralyze:ninjitsu). After that get a Dark Staff if you want for resting. Like you said it really does help on the few times you get to rest during PTing.

After that it's pretty much up to you. Probably Earth and Ice for Slow and Paralyze.

Comment

I already have wind ice dark light

Comment

Originally posted by Tan'o
                    Get wind first hands down. Gravity is our most useful debuff because we're the only job that can do it. Other jobs have much more potent forms of our other debuffs (slow:elegy, paralyze:ninjitsu). After that get a Dark Staff if you want for resting. Like you said it really does help on the few times you get to rest during PTing.

After that it's pretty much up to you. Probably Earth and Ice for Slow and Paralyze.
                    Well, I agree with getting wind first (unless you rest a lot for dark), but not for gravity. For silence. WHM *can* silence, but their skill is lower and they don't have Warlock's Tabard (and other skill gear too at higher levels). Try a couple parties in Gustav (Doom Warlocks), Bibiki, King Ranperre's Tomb, or Ro'maeve Moongate with a RDM that doesn't have wind staff... it's much more hazardous than necessary. Even before then there are plenty of other places where the leveling targets include a few mages.

I bought Dark, Ice, Wind, Earth, Water, Fire & Thunder (at the same time), and I don't have Light yet (static with WHM); but with the benefit of hindsight I'd recommend Wind, Dark, Light (if you main heal fairly often), Ice, Earth, Water, Fire, Thunder, Light (if you rarely/never main heal). But any of them listed after Earth aren't really that useful until you have the corresponding III series nuke.
                    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Tan'o

You're not going to always be paired with a ninja and/or bard. Slow/Paralyze are still a RDM's most potent debuffs and if your nin can't stick them or is having trouble you need to apply them yourself. Silence is situational but still very important. You won't always have a mage mob to cast it on, but you'll always be using Slow/Paralyze no matter what. Gravity is a good spell to use, but if I had to choose between slow, paralyze, or gravity, you can bet I'd pick slow and paralyze over gravity. Just because no other job can use it doesn't mean it's the top spell of choice. If you left Gravity out of your enfeebling routine you could do just fine, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya
                        Well, I agree with getting wind first (unless you rest a lot for dark), but not for gravity. For silence. WHM *can* silence, but their skill is lower and they don't have Warlock's Tabard (and other skill gear too at higher levels). Try a couple parties in Gustav (Doom Warlocks), Bibiki, King Ranperre's Tomb, or Ro'maeve Moongate with a RDM that doesn't have wind staff... it's much more hazardous than necessary. Even before then there are plenty of other places where the leveling targets include a few mages.

I bought Dark, Ice, Wind, Earth, Water, Fire & Thunder (at the same time), and I don't have Light yet (static with WHM); but with the benefit of hindsight I'd recommend Wind, Dark, Light (if you main heal fairly often), Ice, Earth, Water, Fire, Thunder, Light (if you rarely/never main heal). But any of them listed after Earth aren't really that useful until you have the corresponding III series nuke.
                        Originally posted by nanatsu
                        You're not going to always be paired with a ninja and/or bard. Slow/Paralyze are still a RDM's most potent debuffs and if your nin can't stick them or is having trouble you need to apply them yourself. Silence is situational but still very important. You won't always have a mage mob to cast it on, but you'll always be using Slow/Paralyze no matter what. Gravity is a good spell to use, but if I had to choose between slow, paralyze, or gravity, you can bet I'd pick slow and paralyze over gravity. Just because no other job can use it doesn't mean it's the top spell of choice. If you left Gravity out of your enfeebling routine you could do just fine, trust me.
                        Silence has always been an easy spell to land, even without a wind staff, and its really short recast, especially with Fast Cast, make it much less of an instant priority. If there is a casting type, Silence will go first, then a Dispel, with my regular row of debuffs with a alternation of Silence (if it did not land) and Dispel. (aura weapons...orz)

I suppose now that we have sushi, gravity isn't that useful, but I'd still put it first because every little bonus to your accuracy helps and because Gravity's long recast time if it get's resisted (damn golems), then slow because at least it's percentage based in effect (PLD or NIN, doesn't matter), and finally paralyze because it has a random proc rate and length.

Comment

Well, the first staff I got was Ice, as I usually have the greatest trouble with Paralyze (and the +Int and +Elemental doesn't hurt either). Next I think I'm going to go for either Wind or Dark, depending on price. Dark is nice, but I honestly don't rest a whole lot (unless I'm in an obscure 2 Refresh party) so I'm thinking Wind for that ever useful Gravity, and Silence of course. I'm going to try to get a majority of the staves, as I just hit 60 and am ready for catching up on my subjobs and equip. Think I'm probably going to go Ice -> Wind -> Dark -> Earth, then the other 4 in whatever order.
                          RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
                          Bastok Rank 10 Completed
                          Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
                          Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
                          Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Working...
                          X