This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNG Post Patch: first account

trolling the Hiddenpower forums and I come across this account of post patch ranger performance:
    http://www.hiddenpowerls.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1080

Thanks Yyg!

Re: RNG Post Patch: first account

Good in a way.. and bad in a way... Now it'll take a bit more skill to play RNG so it'll weed a few of the sheep out, but ammo will still cost an arm and a leg....
    (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
    sigpic

Comment

Still updating....but I logged off with RNG job and ready to head out to lufaise to do some testing on the gigantbugards.

That thread didn't fully test out all weapons though. Patch notes only states that each ranged weapon has its own ideal range to shoot and deal max damage. So I can assume that a bow's ideal damage is from a good distance away.

Anyone that could log on and is a RNG did a thorough test of other ranged weapons yet? How's the change to gun and xbow?

Originally posted by ruffrydasean
      Good in a way.. and bad in a way... Now it'll take a bit more skill to play RNG so it'll weed a few of the sheep out, but ammo will still cost an arm and a leg....
      Yes, I'm glad it will take more skill to play this job. The change seems to have also made blast arrow/shot and arching/heavy slightly more useful. Blast is a short ranged attack so I'm guessing it didn't suffer a damage cut at point-blank range while arching's dmg is not as high damage as sidewinder so it won't pull hate and make mobs run rampant as much.

Anyway, @600 files to download....and it doesn't seem to download any faster so it will take a couple more hours before I can finally get online to test for myself.
      75 Bst / 75 Whm / 75 Brd / 75 RNG/ 70 Mnk
      Livejournal: xythalia.livejournal.com

Comment

I've noticed mostly people testing bow, and haven't seen ANYONE test gun/crossbow yet. One thing that truly sucks, is if RNGs have to stand far away to do their max damage...it's going to affect BRDs and THFs who party with them. Personally, I'm in a static with a RNG who I skillchain with, and I rely on him "pulling the hate" to do my maximum damage. Now, either his damage will be gimped by having to stand close so he can be trick partner, or mine will be gimped by only getting TA+WS from now on. Eh, either way...anxious to see what the deal is. Static on schedule to party tonight if anyone can get the patch downloaded...lol

Double Post Edited:
        Bah, I just read a couple more accounts of this damage change. I thought maybe different weapons may have a different "spectrum" of damage so to speak, i.e. guns still do good damage point blank, while crossbows mid range, bows long range. HOWEVER, it seems this is not the case from these other accounts I have read. In conclusion, it seems that SE doesnt really want RNG to party with melee who need to SATA in order to skillchain with them(DRK, THF, etc). Quite dissapointing, it looks as if even on TW mobs damage can be reduced by about 30% if you are not in "optimal" range. I thought maybe SE was targeting "arrow burn" type parties, and sought to limit these. However, I dont see how this update could do anything but make arrow burn parties more abundant, especially cause of how RNG + THF(/THF) combos in party seem to clash ><. Here I was this whole time, thinking this update may bring back "balanced" parties, heh. In addition to the ATK vs DEF change also for ranged attacks, this update is NOT looking good for RNGs. Sorry guys
        Last edited by ibroyles; 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Typho - Elvaan - San d'Oria - Rank 10 - Titan

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

Well, I'm @ work atm but I intend to do some research after I get home tonight. I'll post on here after i get some results.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
          SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

Congratulations /thf dd's. You're incessant whining has taken away your best trick partner.

Has anyone found anything about how much our dmg is nerfed versus higher lvl mobs? I'm at work and this is about the only forum I can get to load.
            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

"incessant whining?" Excuse me, but that's a pretty fucking broad generalization. Kinda similar to the well known generalization of "all RNGs are cocky pricks," HUH?

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Caspian
                Congratulations /thf dd's. You're incessant whining has taken away your best trick partner.

Has anyone found anything about how much our dmg is nerfed versus higher lvl mobs? I'm at work and this is about the only forum I can get to load.
                hahaha Careful whatcha ask for. Not pointing any fingers, *cough* DRG and DRK *cough*

Originally posted by ibroyles
                "incessant whining?" Excuse me, but that's a pretty fucking broad generalization. Kinda similar to the well known generalization of "all RNGs are cocky pricks," HUH?
                And I'm not cocky!

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
                SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

I dont see how its a broad generalization. There was a lot of whining on some other DD's forums about how we were over powered and should be nerfed. A few of them came over here and started asking if rngs thought that rngs should be nerfed b/c it wasnt fair that we got more invites and did more dmg. "Incessant" may have been a little strong but there was definately a fair amount of whining. I'm sorry if I'm unhappy the thought the job that I love and pay through the nose for is suddenly crap against anything I might have hoped to fight at endgame. I dont know how much this is going to affect me at this point. I intend to go home and find out as soon as I can. Granted, its possible something will be figured out and I be able to dmg comparable to what I did pre-patch. I dont appreciate what is looking to be that I've now become SE's newest red-headed step child.

Comment

Heheh, that's why I mentioned that generalization in teh same vein of "/thf whiners." Don't be so quick to judge and lump all (insert job here) in the same category, it just makes people feel like shit. ESPECIALLY when I was actually HOPING RNG's didnt get nerfed by this update. Then I have somebody calling me a bitch for defending them? pssh

Comment

Well if being at a distance is what's needed only to get full damage still then, it just about doesn't effect me except by the fact it completly SKREWS my ability to solo. Well Promathia won't be a solo or RNG & WHM deal anymore now for me

Either way I'll have to see how severe it really is.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I apalogize for making it sound like everyone was doing it. As I recall it was only a few select ppl that seemed to cream their pants at the thought of rng's not doing as much dmg. I had hoped this update would make the rng a more skilled job to play and merely keep the arrow burn parties to a minimum and from getting the 300+ xp at a time like from the dahlmels in bibiki bay. Like I said hopefully something will be figured out and with some skill we can still play at the lvl we did pre-patch. One possibility for SATA is to let loose with something to steal hate, then immediately run at the mob to keep it from moving too much. This way the tank and thf would hardly have to move and (with a very skilled party) they could still pull off a good SATA.

In reference to the link neighbor posted, what was the dmg rng's used to do on fafnir? I know 30 is pitiful, but that was at point-blank. Was the ranged dmg much closer to pre-patch damage?

Comment

I apologize for my frustrated comments earlier in this posting. Sorry if I came off as harsh. This update just affects me as well, because I usually party with RNG to skillchain with. In all honesty, SATA is already seen as a pain by most parties to set up...we just don't need ANOTHER melee that clashes with THF. ESPECIALLY one of the best openers for THF's skillchain, sigh.

I agree that ANY melee that were complaining, are probably eating their words right now. Truth is, we NEED heavy damage dealers in this game. It's how XP has evolved and parties are built around this concept now. Sure, parties with ONLY heavy damage dealers(mana burn, arrow burn) are frustrating...but nerfing them and leaving NO heavy damage dealers. Or making them completely incompatible with existing melee DDs. I dont agree with that.

Comment

If you look at it though even an Arrow Burn will feel an effect from this especially with the Utsusemi change added to it. Now the RNG who is closest is just wasting money if he fires which means 1 of the 4-5 RNGs is out till the monster goes to another, and with Utsusemi taking hate away also the monster can start bouncing around (Still haven't heard how bad an effect the hate loss is yet).

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

I'm glad that this patch will hopefully get rid of a lot of the ppl lvling there 2nd and 3rd jobs as rng. Whether it will or not is remained to be seen, but it will hopefully curb a lot of the rank 10'ers flooding the market with rng's and in that respect, make playing rng more special. I'm not generalizing all hi-lvlers on multiple jobs, but there were a lot that did simply b/c having a job at 75 makes paying for rng much easier (dont think there should be a lot of argument on that). I also understand the plethora of rng's was getting out of hand and that it was a good idea of doing something to get the ratio's back in range. (note: i dont recall ever seeing a thread that rng's should be nerfed b/c there were getting to be so many of them, only that they did too much dmg and it wasnt fair). I realize that if you can farm up good money at 75 you should be allowed to spend it how you see fit, SE cant stop you from using it to lvl rng, and that changing how rng's deal dmg is pretty much the only way to get rid of some of the more lay-about rng's that just macro ctrl+d a lot and go watch tv. What does suck is like ibroyles said is that even at 50 and beyond its a pain in the ass to get a pt to set up SATA (when I still dont understand how it can be that hard) and now limiting trick partners even more is really crappy. What sucks is that we will still most likely be paying a fair amount of money to do dmg, only now that dmg will most likely barely be on par with any other DD, that used to be the bonus of being a rng, you pay a lot but you do a lot of dmg. It then became its own downfall. I still have faith that all this can be dealt with and aside from soloing (which I'm pretty well screwed now on) we can still be some kickass DD's.

Comment

Working...
                              X