/PUP skillchains for latent breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /PUP skillchains for latent breaking

I had noticed in the Unlocking a Myth template page, that PUP can Magic Mortar -> Dragon Kick to get Light skillchains to really speed up the process of breaking latents for weapon skill trials. Well, that's great when your main is PUP, but I want that for other jobs too.

Since PUP is (AFAIK) the only pet job that you can skillchain off of, I wanted to see if I could /PUP to break one. I'm trying to get Mystic Boon, and even with Runic Key, I still don't want to have to do all 250 WS if I have to.

The first problem is that /PUP is going to be a lot weaker because it's only at half level. You have to find mobs in the 56-58 or so level range for your brass buddy to even get TP. I chose Chamber Beetles in Garbaige Shitadel.

Then the trick is finding a WS you can chain off of at that level, and which he will even use. I wanted to try Chimera Ripper -> Brainshaker for fragmentation, but he only wanted to do String Clipper.

Then I tried the Sharpshot frame. Arcuballista -> Shining Strike = Fusion hell yeah. I'll take a level 2 chain any day.

Once I get my Werebuster broken, I've got the Sapara of Trials and Vorpal Sword to break next.
    Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
    99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
    F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
    >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Re: /PUP skillchains for latent breaking

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
    Since PUP is (AFAIK) the only pet job that you can skillchain off of
    People always seem to forget that Summoners' avatars can open (and close) skillchains--don't even need TP.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Poison nails opens distortion. Cheap & effective.
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

People always seem to forget that Summoners' avatars can open (and close) skillchains--don't even need TP.
        I was about to say you can use BPs as well. Not sure what matches with what but i used to SC with my Avatars a lot while farming back in the day.
        99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
        -Farsha (90) Completed!!
        -Verth (90) Completed!!
        -Guttler (95) Completed!
        -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
        -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
        -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

"As far as I know" meant I don't have SMN leveled much and haven't played it in a long time. Can't forget what you never knew.

>2012

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

It's just kinda sad that people never seem to remember SMN's SC potential. I was teaching SMNs in Garlaige Citadel and Crawlers' Nest how to skillchain long before 'PUP' was a part of FFXI terminology.

(Not sure I even had SMN unlocked back then. lol. Think my SMN is still 11.)

Still, using /PUP seem like a nifty way to speed up things. Wonder if Carby has enough accuracy from /SMN to open Distortion reliably at higher levels?

My own method is to beg a SAM friend for help instead. (I also offer Soboro-SAM service to friends, so it's all good.)

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
              Then the trick is finding a WS you can chain off of at that level, and which he will even use. I wanted to try Chimera Ripper -> Brainshaker for fragmentation, but he only wanted to do String Clipper.
              You have PUP at 86 and don't know about weaponskill priorities? Automaton Weapon Skills - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Even at 99 you wil still only be able to get the first weaponskills (Slapstick, Chimera Ripper, String Clipper, Arcuballista). However, in the case of Valoredge there's no reason NOT to be able to force the weaponskill you want. You'll be farming, so there's no reason to need something in the ammo slot, so you bring along your level 1 Animator (it's All Jobs, remember) and throw up the maneuvers you need. If you still don't have your level 1 Animator... why not? PUP as a low-level subjob is INCREDIBLE, there's no reason to toss it. Turbo you can toss when you get your +1, but the first you keep forever (or until all your subs are leveled, and even then keep it for the purposes you need it for right now).

Chimera Ripper opens Fragmentation and Gravitation, Arcuballista opens Fusion. If you keep up a fire maneuver for both cases it'll trigger the WS you want. Plus, Light Maneuvers for when it gets low on health would be useful too.
              Kindadarii (Bahamut)
              90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
              70.3 + 2 Woodworking
              52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                It's just kinda sad that people never seem to remember SMN's SC potential. I was teaching SMNs in Garlaige Citadel and Crawlers' Nest how to skillchain long before 'PUP' was a part of FFXI terminology.
                Again, hard to "remember" what I never learned. By the time I started playing, SMN was forced to stand in the back of the bus and do nothing but heal and buff. I soloed my level 32 except for one burn pt anyhow.

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
                You have PUP at 86 and don't know about weaponskill priorities?
                Sorry I didn't get the secret cheat sheet along with the action figure. But it doesn't really help because with PUP as a subjob, I don't have access to anything that starts L3 chains. All I've done is found the only one that starts L2 chains without having to remember to hit maneuvers all the time.
                Last edited by Elwynn; 12-17-2010, 03:55 PM.

>2012

Comment

Er, wasn't talking about you specifically, Elwynn, but about players (including SMN players) in general.

It was a wistful musing, not a dig.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                    My own method is to beg a SAM friend for help instead. (I also offer Soboro-SAM service to friends, so it's all good.)
                    I do this too, though it gets on my nerves fast as I tend to TP at least 3x as fast as my friends XD
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X