Perfection or Vanity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfection or Vanity?

A popular suggestion for new Puppetmasters is to choose the Sharpshot frame as their first. This makes sense-- leveling the "Ranged" combat skill can be a pain, especially if it's way behind to begin with. As a level 30 PUP, I love this frame for the damage output, the evasion... it's simply a joy having a dependable partner. However, I can't help but notice the vanity in enjoying the Sharpshot frame when the final Heads available are both magic-oriented.

So, after I've enjoyed my frame of choice for most of my PUP career, I now have to shift my focus to skilling-up the Automaton's magic skill? And don't tell me I should spend equal time with each frame to be versatile. While that may seem like sound advice, it's ultimately impractical. Who has time for that?! I've been in several parties as a Puppetmaster so far, and no one has demanded that I switch frames, nor been disappointed with my damage output.

The game is clearly [and quietly] constraining you into developing your puppet a certain way. If this is the case, why even give us the Sharpshot frame to begin with? I haven't encountered many PUPs on my server (Siren), but every Level 40+ PUP I've seen is using either the Soulsoother or the Spiritreaver head on the Stormwalker body. Whether this is a novelty factor or due to its usefulness, I don't know... Would one look ridiculous using the Sharpshot frame post level 40? Is Sharpshot a dead-end?

Am I missing something here? I'm not trying to start an argument here-- I just want answers, advice, etc.

Re: Perfection or Vanity?

It's been a long while since I played on pup and I'm only lvl 20. But if I remember correctly the automaton itself can increase it's skills whilst you use it as a subjob. I may be completely wrong if it's been changed but if you have other jobs levelled try to /pup and go farm without TH or some Fov. It may take some time but I'm sure you'll get the skills up.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
      Is Sharpshot a dead-end?
      I'm not that high level a PUP, but I don't think it is; it's just that you don't need a new head for Sharpshot because the Sharpshot head works fine. Different puppet configurations are good for different purposes.

ISTM that if there's anything that becomes unused at higher levels it's Valoredge, but maybe people use it to solo or something? More input from higher level PUPs would be useful.
      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Sharpshot is still functional at 80, but with the recent buffs to the defensive side of pup, valoredge has it's use's also. And it's not just pup's that go the way of magic in the later levels, Alot of high level mobs would be ridiculus without magic dmg, in general. it's why BLM's and SCH's stay gangfully employed. It just so happens that with the right attachments/maneuver combo's the endgame pup can deal crazy dmg with no hate gain, using their black mage frame, with merited magic skill.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
          it's why BLM's and SCH's stay gangfully employed.
          Gainfully. (Means "profitably", in the sense of being productive. I think?)

Though, with this economy, maybe gang membership is the only employment option for some...
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

There is no such thing as a "Dead End" with PUP.

The reason you see most high level PUPs with Soulsoother or Spiritreaver heads is because, when soloing, survivability is dependent on the puppet; there is no way I could even survive collibri without SOMETHING healing me. Likewise, if you need to kill something quick that's not magic-resistant, Spiritreaver is a one-shot machine.

When you get into party play though, that turns around completely. While cast-for-cast the Spiritreaver can keep up with a fully geared black mage, the long casting timer annihilates the DPS. The Sharpshot has always parsed on the high end of the DPS and thus makes a nice alternative.
            Kindadarii (Bahamut)
            90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
            70.3 + 2 Woodworking
            52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Hopefully a week isn’t to much of a necro...but I wanted throw in my 2 cents.

I do love the BLM frame. I’ve been working on H2H trials to bump up its MAB and Macc. Sometimes though I find it tough to manage. Especially when working with other Pups. If your puppet is about to cast and someone messes up hate (causing the mob to move), its can get hard deactivating in time. And we all know what happens when your puppet gets hit as you deactive… (We die a little inside for about 19 minutes).

I’ve recently fallen in love with the Rng frame and have been using it over mage frames in Abyssea parties where i can. Just before the update I got Armor Piercer which was doing some pretty nice damage. Generally when soloing with Rng frame, I can’t fight anything too tough so I use it for Magian trials a lot. With Tactical Swap (a god sent) EP/DC mobs simply do not last when you fire off back to back APs. I had a bird trial and hitting 2 APs for 1400+ each…was a good feeling.

If your /dnc (and get lucky with a few extra hits), you can reverse flourish to fire off a Stringing pummel too (or WS of your choice). AP -> AP -> SP = <fun>

Even with AF+1 hands and Buff+1 collar I still find myself overloading on mage more than I’d like. And an overloaded BLM frame is noticeable. With Blm I usually focus on 2 maneuvers…and a rare 3rd (Water, Ice, Dark). Where as with Rng, I can switch between 5 (Fire, Earth, Wind, Thunder, Light) and still perform well.

My only problem with Rng is skilling. Skilling it is friggen hard imo and I’m trying so badly to get it capped. I’m at 276/293 (I think, pumped 1 merit in it as well). Do any of you vet pups have it capped that can offer some advice? Abyssea is the only thing I’ve noticed so far that gives the best results…but I mostly get asked to switch to Blm for Azure or Whm for cures…
              99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
              -Farsha (90) Completed!!
              -Verth (90) Completed!!
              -Guttler (95) Completed!
              -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
              -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
              -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Forget the attachment names, but once you get the condeser? I think, it makes it easy to keep from overloading. You basically throw up a water maneuver, then can safetly put up 3 ice, without the fear of overloading.

Comment

I wouldn't say without fear. However, it does help. Basically, the first time you overload, you should ease off just a tad. If you start wasting a water maneuver every 20 seconds, then you're likely to overload on water.

I've found keeping up 3 different maneuvers won't overload at all. On mage frames I tend to do light/dark/ice, valoredge fire/light/earth and sharpshot wind/fire/light. If you use just two (IE, light/dark/light then dark/light/dark on a mage frame) you can hold off overloads for a while, but not indefinitely like you can with 3.

As for capping... I had it capped before the level increase (capped at 75), and I did it in on steelshells just like most people skill up their weapons. In fact, I remember I capped melee there too.
                  Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                  90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                  70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                  52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

I have all attachments. Any one serious about mage pup should have the big 3 imo (Ice maker, Condenser, Tranquilizer). I even think you can throw Magic Channeler on there along with Loudspeaker.

But when you deactivate/activate, you have decent to high burden iirc. That’s usually where my overloads (from a water maneuver) happen. Or when my water maneuver is removed by my first ice, I try throwing up another and get overloaded. And when your in the heat of battle...you cant always just wait 20 seconds before using your first manny. I think it happens less than I complain about but still…it happens.

I like nuking with 3 ices, and if that doesn’t always happen then 2 ice/1water.

But back to the point though…I don’t overload very often at all on Rng. Which is another reason I like it. I always try and have a Wind up to boost Scope a little. Then I swap around with Fire/Thunder/Light and the occasional Earth. Skillling is my only problem with it. Mage is easy to skill, fight something tough and have it cure the hell out of you. Rng you pretty much need a party becase if you're soloing, it's going to constantly steal hate from you (if not tank) and drop like it's hot. I'm 80 now and think i'm capped if i synced down to 75. its that 76-80 area i'm having trouble with regaridng skill ups.

Long story short (imo): Rng frame is not dead…it’s alive and kicking. Its much easier to maintain in parites vs solo
                    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                    -Verth (90) Completed!!
                    -Guttler (95) Completed!
                    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Working...
                    X