Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hmm . . . shouldn't "lolPUP" have been dead for 3 months already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm . . . shouldn't "lolPUP" have been dead for 3 months already?

I mean, they didn't exactly get that A skill, but even with B+, alongside the already relatively impressive "whatever you want" the automaton can put out . . . where's the "lolMNK" already?!
    Last edited by TheGrandMom; 06-15-2010, 09:02 PM. Reason: Edit per OP request
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Re: Hmm . . . shouldn't lolPUP have been dead for 3 months already?

Why YM, are you stirring the pot?
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
      Why YM, are you stirring the pot?
      because some new ingredients where added, and needed to be stirred in ^.^
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
        because some new ingredients where added, and needed to be stirred in ^.^
        . . . that's actually very well-said.

I mean, when I heard that Puppetmaster was getting a freaking Combat Skill upgrade over at Vanafest, I expected some sort of new reverence for the job to start happening somehow . . . I don't see it yet. Heck, it's as if nothing has happened, in spite of how huge gigantinormus an update C to B+ actually is. I mean, heck, even pre-update, a properly geared Puppet + Master combined were already capable of out-parsing a few of the more "established" damage dealers, so . . .

Just go ahead and try to tell me that's not the least bit unjust or uncalled for. Come on. No respect.

ADD: Mod request: Could you please put the "lolPUP" in the title of the thread in quotes? Thanks in advance.
        Last edited by Yellow Mage; 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: Yes. I had to make up a word just to try and describe its size.
        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
        Matthew 16:15

Comment

It's still there for the same reason Dancers and Beastmasters get funny looks: No one but the people who play it properly understand what it has to offer.

The playerbase is ignorant of what a Pup can do. Hell, I'm ignorant of what a Pup can do even after poking around in some stickied threads in various forums. The closest I got to a nutshell explanation of the job was "it can do everything". That's all well and good, but if the playerbase doesn't understand how to utilize that then the job is going to have a stigma attached to it. From what I hear Pup is a complex job, so explaining it to others might be difficult. Rather than spend the time to figure it out most players will just move on to something with a clear goal. White Mage heals, Paladin tanks, Monk punches things in the face. Pup? What's a Pup do? Oh they're one of those weird classes that we can't rely on to consistently fill a role since each player's going to do it differently; Let's grab another <insert job here>.

Please, educate the masses so they can make use of Pup players.
          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
          Name: Drjones
          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Re: Hmm . . . shouldn't &quot;lolPUP&quot; have been dead for 3 months already?

If I had a bunch of money to throw into making my automaton worth anything I'd totally level PUP. These days (or at least, the days when I was still playing regularly), solo play was totally my way to go. But I just don't have that kind of gil. Interesting changes, though. The playerbase as per usual can't be helped.

Comment

I personally have never heard much lolPUP to begin with, outside of playing around with friends. I would say it's because I have shown them what PUP's are capable of, and they are impressed. Even before the update I worked hard at it, carefully explaining what can be done in what situation, and being versatile enough to be used in many situations while realizing my limits and what can't be done.

I can't say I'm not LFP for days on end before I even get a nibble of a party, but my LS tends to accept me as a DD when we do ls parties, so it's not that big of a deal.
              Kindadarii (Bahamut)
              90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
              70.3 + 2 Woodworking
              52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Yeah, I friggin love pup, I wish they got more love for endgame, and hopefully they'll see a few changes soon, but from teh situations I was in, my auto just took to much dmg from AoE's. Most Endgame things all use some sort of AoE TP move, and this was the biggest stigma. If they reduced the re-cast on Deploy to 5 minutes, you might (big Might there) see it used more often, but that 20 min re-cast when you catch a bad break just kills.

Full skilled merited automaton just has so much pontential and pup/sch or pup/whm can fill those niche support roll's quite well, more so soon, with the level cap increase.

With the ACP body, Head, legs augmented with pet dmg (which has been another thing I think you'll see with the community, get to this point in a second) you can get some pretty decent (if not capped) acc numbers on HNM's/event mobs

But yeah, the player base has gotten some experience under it's belt for the most part. Most players have 2-3 jobs @ 75 and those 3 augment pieces are pretty damn good for other jobs also, so strictly dedicating a piece of armor for your PUP almost makes it not worthwhile.
                Most of the folks in my LS don't trash talk PUP's anymore, but at the same time, they don't bring them to events either, because there's usually not enough free slots left. When your 22 maning dyna-xarc for the DL clear, you sort of need every job to be something that it does best, and filling a hybrid: DD/Support/Healer/Nuker dosen't quite jive for effiecency. If we had 2 full alliances, yeah we'd probably have some room to bring a pup or two, but i think we only have 2-3 people in the LS with it leveled, 1 is one of our main WHM's, the other is a RDM, or COR. I have it @ 75 on my mule, with all attachments and 6/6 relic, but /shrug Pup's not something you can really dualbox, and be of much help to the LS.

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

I ment activate, re-cast on activate to 5 minutes

Comment

I have become a huge pup fan and I did get a lot of lolpup from my limbus shell at first. Then one week (both days) we had enough people for 1 zone but not 2. I wow’d some of them with both my blm and whm frames. I had an accidental Magic Burst for 2k+. I was nuking for pretty good numbers on blm frame, then on a other run we had a party wipe (cept me) and I was holding a weapon NM for a good 4-5 minutes while people were getting up (/nin and whm frame). After that, I’ve pretty much been able to go pup the majority of the runs. I’m certainly no THF or NIN but with evasion merited along with some nice evasion/haste gear I can usually keep constant shadows up.

After the update I joined a new Dynamis LS. They had a pup already so they weren’t as lolpup as others. But I realized pup can do very well in there as well. When we don’t have enough blms, I helped nuke statues. When we did, I used my rng frame. Stringing pummels averaged ~600 (some 200 some 900) along with ~450 Armor Piercers (rng frame WS). I’ve never had a brd in my party so I can only assume those Stringing pummels would be a little higher. I seem to only do well in the cities though…when fighting Demons in Icelands I struggle (is that normal?).

In Sky, we go with 2xBsts, thf & 2-3xpup for Diorite farming. We pretty much wipe the Uli room clean. A Bst and a pup make short work of Despot too. I have not tried pup on any of the sky gods but I heard nuking is not that great. I did however have a Pup (w/ whm frame) run around with me while I kited Kirin on Bst. Kept my HPs up during o’shit moments.

But yeah, the player base has gotten some experience under it's belt for the most part. Most players have 2-3 jobs @ 75 and those 3 augment pieces are pretty damn good for other jobs also, so strictly dedicating a piece of armor for your PUP almost makes it not worthwhile.
                  I currently have 5 75s at the moment. Luckily my 2 favorite are Bst and Pup, which you may notice both can wear the same pieces. I just got Blm to 75 for fun and I’m pretty much retiring my Brd. So I’m one of the fortunate ones that can put use those augments for my pets.

Not trying to derail or anything but these add-ons (ACP, MKE & ASA), though shitting in design, have been a godsend to the pet community. And though painfully annoying, some of the Magian weapons for pet jobs look pretty damn fantastic.
                  -Bsts can get some good axes for their pets with +Acc, +Atk, -PDT. My Bst current has Pet: -22% PDT with most of these new pieces.
                  -Smns can get -4 perp cost for specific avatars
                  -Pups can get +MAB or +Mag Acc (The h2h for your melee frames might be good, but probably hurt you (the pup))

I ment activate, re-cast on activate to 5 minutes
                  TBH, either/or would be awesome. 20 minutes sucks because there’s a lot of events that only give you 30-60 time limits…and if you mess up early you’re screwed.
                  99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                  -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                  -Verth (90) Completed!!
                  -Guttler (95) Completed!
                  -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                  -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                  -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

My spotlight to fame as far as anti-lolPUP was actually the Nyzul static I managed to get into. While I was asked to go bard every boss floor, which I didn't mind too much, I was 'allowed' to go PUP the rest of the time; after restarting numerous times to floor 1 because of drops/adds to the static, that was a lot of climbing.

In any case, I could not only do decent damage both main and with the puppet, but when we neared the completion objective for a floor, I could leave my puppet on the last mob (or second to last, depending on how far away the rune was) while I run back to the Rune of Transfer. By the time I get there, or was close, the objective was completed and we would immediately head up. Nothing was sacrificed as far as party roles, and we made a lot of time by being able to fly up the floors. By the time I hit floor 60 I had my Inferno Claws and being able to solo and close a light skillchain with my whm puppet, I was able to have Stringing Pummel by the time I hit floor 80.

I think the climbing made a big impact on those who were in the group, most of whom are also in the shell I later joined and am currently in.
                    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Didn’t want to start a new thread nor did I want to necro an older one.

I know its VERY early still but…if anyone is leveling or has been leveling pup past 75, did we get access to Thunder IV?

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                      -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                      -Verth (90) Completed!!
                      -Guttler (95) Completed!
                      -Aegis just started

Comment

Saw it floating around somewhere, but yes, Pups get Thunder IV.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

THere we go, found it: Thunder IV&#33;&#33; - Killing Ifrit - a Final Fantasy community
                        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                        Name: Drjones
                        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

/em hugs Cidbahamut

Thanks Cid ^^

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                          -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                          -Verth (90) Completed!!
                          -Guttler (95) Completed!
                          -Aegis just started

Comment

Working...
                          X