Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Pup good as first main job for new beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Pup good as first main job for new beginner?

I am on the decision part right now whether take a new job or one of those old jobs. I am not a new player, just a returning player who lost his account from inactiveness. (last was 75 brd 65 whm (approx) and every sub beyond 30).

I want to know whether pup is an expensive job as compare to corsair. Since there isn't alot information on what does the automatic part's cost beside the 16 part that cost 116k (which is cheap). Automation oil cost (which is still relatively cheaper) and what else?

I personally enjoy partying more then soloing (that is why i love brd) but i am not sure how well does pup get group / perform in group. Soloing ability (could they chain ?)

also, is the quest hard for a level 30 whm to do as flag quest? (i am assuming it like corsair)

Could anyone enlighten me with their knowledge in mechanic?

to summerize:

1. pup is expensive?

2. group friendly? solo chainable?

3. flag quest easy?

4. Does your automatic have lazy beam? (i really want that...)
    -add later-

Re: is Pup good as first main job for new beginner?

Doesn't answer every question, but should give you some ideas: Which Job Should I Play?

Edit:
    If you don't want to read the whole thing, just glance through the first post, and search for ((Puppetmaster)).
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

First things first: Automaton, not Automatic.

Next: compared to COR, it's extremly inexpensive. Any/All costs are one-time: once you get them, you have them, like spells and such for other jobs.

It is both group friendly and (I've heard) soloable/duoable with a BST.

The flag quest is.. easy enough, though high-level help is recommended. The COR quest is a degree harder, I believe.

you're 4th question confuses the hell out of me.

COR is very expensive, much like a ranger: Cards and Bullets are rather expensive.
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

i think he meant to say 'does your automaton have laser beam'
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Flash is kinda close to a laser beam? No?

- Mugaku

Comment

Depends on the type of "Flash" that you're referring to.

If you mean the flash that I do frequently on my white mage, then it's very close to my other favorite act: mooning people.

If you mean the "other" kind of flash (that is, a brilliant burst of light), then no, not really, since a "laser" is a "concentrated burst of light", as opposed to a "brilliant" burst of light.

There is a difference... though both will likely blind you.

And the laser will, too.
            Kindadarii (Bahamut)
            70.3 + 2 Woodworking
            52.2 Synergy

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfZeal View Post
              If you mean the "other" kind of flash (that is, a brilliant burst of light), then no, not really, since a "laser" is a "concentrated burst of light", as opposed to a "brilliant" burst of light.
              Actually, LASER is "coherent" light, in terms of wavelength, phase, and polarization.

I'm no expert in this subject, so I just picture it as a parade of photons marching in unison along a straight line, to a single (dull) drum rhythm. >_>;

- Mugaku

Comment

ok i was a lv 70 smn, lv 60 blm and now i am on hades with a lv 32 pup, which its a blast. I never has so much fun with a job; the best thing about it is its party and solo play. Sometimes there is not a tank or whm seeking so what i do is use my cure bot AKA Storm walker and let it cure me. i was soloing leeches in qufim island which were tough Vt and getting 150-200 with no band. Also i have convert which my auto never runs out of mp.

If u like h2h and pets this is the job for you. Now there are very few pups out there. On quez i rember about 6-10 at most. Hades has alot more, So if u would like some advice in game and your on hades Please hit me up. My name is Gale on hades.

Now the job was rushed so its not anywhere near perfect but slowly its getting stronger and better.

By the way i was Out DDing most DDs at lv 10-32 so far. My Mage frame is doing a good 107-130 thunders every 17 secs on mobs that we are fighting; on top of the dmg i do with h2h and weapon skills.

A side note i also need to retreat my pet alot because i find myself pulling hate from a pld and nin tanks.

Comment

I would love to get more info on it, guides doesn't usually write down little things and they assuming you could try it out. (i prefer plan ahead more, knowing which job and start saving).

Also, about healing your automation, could you cast "cure" on it to heal it? or automation oil is a must? (does it also need battery?)

"the 4th is kinda a joke... laser beam ..i want one of those robot from sercet of mana 3 that shoot large beams."
                  -add later-

Comment

Next: compared to COR, it's extremly inexpensive. Any/All costs are one-time: once you get them, you have them, like spells and such for other jobs.
                    Wut?

As of right now PUP is very expensive, at least being a good PUP is. Most PUP suck, which is why they are branded with such a negative reputation.

Attachments like Attuner and Target Marker are drops from Pulling the Strings(lvl 60 ENM) which are pretty rare(very often PUPs will find no drop). There is 8 drops total, and on some servers they have no even appeared yet once. Attuner costed me 1,000,000 gil to get, in this deflation day and age. Target Marker has never appeared on my server's AH. Both are rather vital for PUP to be as good as other jobs.

Then you got the Ashu Talif Attachments, which are even rarer than the ones said above. You can farm them yourself with a group of 75s. You won't have level 75 if your first job is PUP.

SE said they would be increasing drop rates of the ENM attachments in the June Update, so that might help PUP some, but PUP is extremely expensive unless you want to be a lolPUP.
                    Read my blog.
                    ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                    Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                    Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

This is one reason why this game is not picking up again. Every classes is expensive. If you say pup is expensive, isn't brd expensive as well? being a good brd acquiring the max around charm and every instrument in the game.

I think this class is very good so far since farming is possible in this class, (as long i could solo EM even with the crappiest set up).
                      -add later-

Comment

The difference is you can be a naked bard and still get parties. Keep 2 songs on melee, and ballad on mages and noone will care. Pup invite rates are horrid to start with (think drg but slightly worse), and if you suck you simply will not get invited. Pup therefore have to go that extra mile to get invites.

Your personal choice to how you play, but bard is cheap compared to most other jobs.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                        "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

However, all of PUP's costs, from the new frames to the various attachments to the gear you personally wear, are all one-time costs. Once you buy that 1 mil attachment, you have it, and you don't need to spend it again ever.

This is unlike COR which will plow through bullets and cards, like a RNG goes through arrows.

Also, it is NOT necessary to have all 50 attachments. I would be willing to say that if you have at least 30-35 (which I do), you will be fine. Yes, those last 15-20 will make your puppet much better, but they aren't absolutely necessary.

And, in response to your question, the automaton cannot be the target of your (or your party's) spells, so no, you cannot cast Cure on it. If you want to directly effect healing, Automaton Oil would be the only way to do so, or the automaton itself can heal itself with cures, assuming certain conditions are met.
                          Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                          70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                          52.2 Synergy

Comment

Also, it is NOT necessary to have all 50 attachments. I would be willing to say that if you have at least 30-35 (which I do), you will be fine. Yes, those last 15-20 will make your puppet much better, but they aren't absolutely necessary.
                            A Corsair could only 1 shot a fight and feel less of a difference than a PUP would who lacks those attachments. Attuner and Target Marker are pretty much a must if you want to be strong.

Consumables make a job expensive yes, but don't discount 1-time purchases. Back when they costed A LOT and there wasn't much gear in the game like it, Scorp Harness and Haub made every job expensive and once you bought one, you pretty much had gear to 75... it was a one-time purchase.

Anyway, PUP isn't a good job to hit 75 first with.
                            Read my blog.
                            ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                            Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                            Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Originally posted by Kirsteena View Post
                              The difference is you can be a naked bard and still get parties.
                              They need to require BRD to obtain attachments to make their songs more potent then, because they clearly avoid buying the proper instruments and prefer thier gimpness.

Better yet, make a Bard frame of the automation that can do the buffs for the PT. Bards are pretty much robots anyway. Corsairs are outlaws, so the Empire wouldn't allow automations to have Corsair frames.

And then only outlaw PUPs would have Corsair automation frames.

Comment

Working...
                              X