Puppetmaster 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppetmaster 101

Ok this is not completely done and all credit goes to Banderdragon From Killing Ifrit & woever else added a little bit in, but ESPECIALY to Bander for putting this together ^^, I'm just bringing it over here so you guys can have this info too ^^:

You start on the Quest here.

When in Nashmau talk to Yoyoroon , he sells some Attachments (more on those to come).

Please look here if you still have questions. http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=18;mid=1156323870195543092;num=0;page=1

Your 'Maton and you.
    OK, now for attachments. Attachments are stackable, but you ONLY need one. Just having an attachment is not good enough, you need to have the attachments installed. You do this by trading the attachment to the female hume Tateeya. Trade the attachments one at a time and she will install them. Once installed you can use them forever. There is no cost for this service.

OK, how do you install the attachments? What you do is enter the game menu (on computer it is - or the middle mouse button). Select the Equipment option and for the 1st time you are given a choice between master and automaton, click the automaton. You are now looking at something similar to a standard gear grid with elements at the bottom. Each attachment has a element cost as denoted by symbols when you hold the selector on them. Part of a PUP's skill is mixing and matching attachments to suit the need since you can't use them all at the same time.

You can only change or add attachments when the maton is not out. You can ether zone into a town, or deactivate it. If the maton's HP is 100%, and ONLY 100% you can deactivate the maton and re-deploy it without having to wait the 20min recast time. The activate macro is /ja activate <me> and the deactivate macro is /pet deactivate <me>

You control your 'Maton's A.I. by the use of maneuvers. If you don't have your Animator equipped, you will not be able to use any maneuvers. You have a maneuver for each element. The element of the maneuver first off gives you maton +1 to the element that the maneuver was, I.E. fire maneuver gives +1 to STR. The elements also increase the likelihood of the use of specific abilities linked to attachments.
    The macro for a maneuver is /pet "Fire Maneuver" <me>. Please substitute fire for any other element you care to use.

Overload.....
    Overload happens when you get click happy. Any action you perform with your maton creates some load capacity. Actions include activating, deploying and the use of maneuvers. If you use the same elemental maneuver over and over you will overload. An overloaded maton will do nothing beyond mindlessly attacking till it is no longer overloaded.

>>Advanced Control<<
    You now know that you can deactivate then activate your maton at will as long as the maton is at 100% HP. This can be used to remove status effects like slow or paralyze. In addition this will refill your maton's MP pool. Two warnings... if your maton is not 100% HP then you will have to wait till activate timer is ready. Also, when you deactivate and activate your maton it wipes all maneuvers, and makes you very susceptible to overload. The latest patch has made this not really any different, but here it is. You can no longer abuse this in an unfair way. You have a 1 min recast timer on deactivate.

Level 1-10
    PUP level through 1-10 very fast assuming you have a few specific attachments. 1st off, get Shock Absorber, and Auto-Repair Kit. When you have Shock absorber equipped (note that it takes 1 earth slot) and you use earth maneuver, your maton will likely use Stoneskin. In addition, when you have auto-repair kit equipped (note that it takes 2 light slots) that the maton has more HP. In addition, with the auto-repair kit equipped and a light maneuver activated your maton has 1 regen per tick. The more light maneuvers active, the more HP per tick to a max of 3 per tick, beware of overload.

The way you make your maton attack is by deploying it at an enemy, the macro is /pet deploy <t>. You do not need to attack the same mob as your maton, and at this level and a little beyond I would send my maton after one DC, and I would jump another.

LEVEL 10:
    happy day, happy day. You are level 10 now. Go to Whitegate, talk to Ghatsad and he will give you the option for a new frame. You can choose between a ranger frame, a mage frame, or a melee frame. Once you choose your frame, he will tell you what items you need to bring him, then you need to wait till after JP midnight before your new maton is ready, you Can keep using you original frame.
    Choose the frame that most appeals to your play-style, I went with melee frame, and that allowed me to solo fairly well to 30.

level 11-20
    Gear worth looking into...
    Battle Gloves ~ I am still using these at level 60
    Garrison Tunic

At this point your probably getting into parties, and have no idea what's going on. The MOST useful think a PUP and their maton can add to a party is Flash using the flashbulb attachment. remember, you need to have a light maneuver up for it to flash. You need to start watching your maton's TP so he doesn't mess up a weapon skill. the macro for this is <pettp>. When the party members are starting a skillchain and your maton is close to, or over 100% tp, then you should pull your maton back with retrieve /pet retrieve <me>. By the same token, your maton is able to skillchain with you and with others. There is an attachment for TP control as well, Inhibitor which will make your maton wait on using it's weapon skill till someone else uses one.

At level 20, you get to talk to Ghatsad for another new frame.

At level 20 you should have some idea on how you want to play PUP. Don't be chest-fallen when you see your damage lag behind some of the other melees. Once you add your damage to the damage your maton does, you will be on par with them, and your spamming flash every 30 secs, got to love that.

Sub-Jobs: There is still a lively debate on this topic, so will just give a basic outline;
    Monk: Adds extra Hand-2-Hand bonus, and gives access to some specific gear.
    Wrestler's Mantle
    Cestus Belt
    Dark Knight: Early on gives attack bonus trait
    Thief: Gives evasion Bonus
    Warrior: Gives defense bonus early on
    Ninja: You eventually get blink
    Dragoon : Gives attack bonus and jump ~ Alisha added this
    Ranger: Gives accuracy bonus ~ Alisha added this
    Bard: Possible sub choice. See Suljin's post for rational
    White Mage: Still under intense debate. With all the cloth armor we were given, we can prob boost our MP to a decent (not great) amount. I have seen it work, have not tried it myself.
    KI's thread on this... Link here
    Alla's thread on this... http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=18;mid=1156369190195558799;num=9;page=1

Gear:
    Your going to be interested in Accuracy 1st, then Dex, then Attack, then STR. The reason for this is with our highest weapon skill at level C, you will have to overcome an accuracy loss. At the lower levels this is not a huge issue, but the higher your get, the more it hurts. Just keep an eye out for gear.

Frames:
    Stormwalker ~ mage
    YuriOtani wrote what i feel is the definitive control guide, please look here to see it. http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=18;mid=1153155423223029324;num=16;page=1

And a Spell Guide From Kinza:
    Mage Puppet Spell Guide

Sharpshot ~ Ranger
    This is the highest damage of the frames. Many people mix the Sharpshot body with Valoredge head to make the maton chase the mob rather then just sit back and shoot. This method allows for faster TP building.

Valoredge ~Melee
    This is used less as you get to be higher level. One thing to keep in mind is it build TP very fast. This being said if you are in a mage heavy party, you can skillchain with it fairly often to allow for the mages an additional magic burst.

Advanced maton control . . .
    One thing I have seen, assuming your maton's job ability is up (there is currently no way I know to check if it is), when you activate the required elemental maneuver your maton will immediately use the ability. So, for example the NIN in the party is trying to recast shadows, drop a light maneuver, your maton casts flash, the NIN does not die. All are happy.

From my experience, I find that a macro of the maneuvers that grant the desired stat boost (AGI, DEX, STR, etc) is best for using as primary macro in party, then using ,mainly, light maneuver to drop a Flash. This will assure that that move is always ready to be used.

The required /wait on a maneuver is 10. I find there is a minor damage increase is present if you do a /wait 11 instead. This will normally allow for an additional swing between the maneuvers. In addition, you have less of a problem with Lag.

Melee (SOLO): This is your best friend low level. Sadly, this guy kind of falls by the wayside the higher you get. Your maton really has trouble taking the hits post 30. Now, it does have it uses even at high level in terms of sharing hate. If you were, for example, /nin and needed to get your shadows back up, drop and fire maneuver to make it provoke (assuming you have strobe equipped) and it should pull hate at least long enough for you to get some shadows back up.

Melee (PARTY): The greatest benefit this guy gives you in a party is as a Skillchain partner. It is not unheard of for your maton to build TP faster then you. If you are using your maton as a skillchain partner, you probably want to equip the inhibitor attachment. This makes the maton hold off on using it's weapon skill till someone else uses one. Again, keep track of your maton's TP so it does not drift over and screw up someone else’s skillchain.
    This frame is the only one really able to pull mobs. I set it up with Shock Absorber, and Auto-Repair. Then i deploy the maton at a mob at max range and take off.

There are 3 ways for you to regen your maton’s MP pool. 1) use the attachment Mana Tank that gives 1 MP per tick per dark maneuver (Mana Tank 2 gives 2 per tick, +1 every additional dark maneuver beyond the first). 2) Use the attachment Mana Converter. This is a type of Convert that takes half you maton's HP instantly and gives it back as MP over about a minute. There is a cool down to this, and it is not required to have dark maneuver active for this to happen, but a active dark maneuver does increase the likelihood. 3) This is dangerous for when your fighting mobs with an AE. If you remember from above when a maton is activated it has full MP. As long as you are sure your maton has 100% HP then you can deactivate it, then activate it again.

Mage (SOLO): This is the only frame I have used to solo after level 40. As long as you have damage gauge equipped, and you have a light maneuver active, you have your own personal White mage. I recommend you look back at YuriOtani's guide to determine your maneuver order so you have your maton casting to suit your style. When I am soloing I have mine set to nuke. I do this because I sub warrior and I can provoke to pull hate back off the maton.

Mage (PARTY): This is a pretty much use you best judgment idea. Reason being your party setup will determine whether you are nuking or casting enfeebles. In addition, with most of the maneuver orders discovered by YuriOtani the maton will keep casting silence until it sticks if the mob has MP (even if it is not a caster). In cases like that, I would recommend just setting it as a nuker. It is in your best intrestes to keep your maton fully healed. As long as the maton's HP is 100% ,/echo <pethpp>, you can deactivate then activate once every min to refill your maton's MP. i generally do this every 2-3 mobs.

Ranger (SOLO): I have never used the ranger when soloing. If someone would like to post their strat, I will quote it here.

Ranger (PARTY): This is my preferred frame as a DD in parties. The best way to have your maton positioned is right next to the mob. This means the ranged attack does the most damage (you loose some on arranged accuracy), and you maton melees for additional damage and TP gain. There are two ways to make that happen. 1) you can put the Valoredge head on the ranger frame. This will make the maton chase the mob for you. 2) Wait to deploy the maton till you are standing next to the mob. I generally use option 2.

Appendix:
    Skill-Up
    It is possible to power level your skills to at least level 37 if you have another high level job. PUP seems to be unique in that you can skill your maton's Magic, Melee, and Ranged skills as a subjob.

Macros
    /ja Activate <me> = Activates maton
    /pet Deploy <t> = send maton in to attack
    /pet Retrieve <me> = pulls maton back from fighting
    /pet Deactivate <me> = turns off Maton
    /pet "Thunder maneuver" <me> = DEX+1, more likely to use thunder based attachment
    /pet "Ice Maneuver" <me> = INT+1, more likely to use ice based attachment
    /pet "Fire Maneuver" <me> = STR+1, more likely to use fire based attachment (provoke)
    /pet "Wind Maneuver" <me> = AGI+1, more likely to use wind based attachment
    /pet "Water Maneuver" <me> = MND+1, more likely to use a water based attachment
    /pet "Earth Maneuver" <me> = VIT+1, more likely to use a earth based attachment (Stoneskin)
    /pet "Dark Maneuver" <me> = more likely to use a darkness based attachment (convert, refresh)
    /pet "Light Maneuver" <me> = CHR+1, more likely to use a light based attachment (cure, Flash)
    <pettp> = Shows your maton's current TP%.
    <pethpp> = Shows your maton's current HP%.
    Last edited by mytoy; 09-01-2006, 08:39 AM.

Re: Puppetmaster 101

Weapon
    11 Brass Baghnakhs +1
    14 Strike Baghnakhs
    15 Federation Baghnakhs
    20 Cougar Baghnakhs
    24 Baghnakhs +1
    39 Vampiric Claws ~ Drops off NM
    41 Mythril Claws +1
    46 Exocets ~ Drops off NM
    47 Adargas
    48 Patas +1
    50 Tactician Magician's Hooks
    52 Tactician Magician's Hooks +2 ~ Best we got for a long time
    55 Sainti ~ Good for soloing
    60 Puppet Claws ~ Imperial Standing Points (corporal)
    65 Shiva's Claws ~ Avitar Item
    65 Darksteel Sainti
    69 Avengers ~ Drops off NM
    72 Scogan's Knuckles ~ Dropped off NM, sellable, only knuckles we can use
    72 Wagh Baghnakhs ~ Dropped off 2 ENMs, sellable EMN 1 ~ ENM 2
    73 Indra Katars ~ Drops off NM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Head
    9 Compound Eye Circlet
    24 Emperor Hairpin or Empress Hairpin ~ Drops off NM
    39 Dobson Bandanna ~ Drops off NM
    41 Voyager Sallet ~ Drops off NM
    60 Puppetry Taj ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Quested
    72 Pahluwan Qalansuwa
    75 Walahra Turban

Neck
    21 Spike Necklace
    24 Tiger Stole
    33 Peacock Charm
    60 Chivalrous Chain
    73 Faith Torque

Body
    10 Royal Footman's Tunic
    18 Garrison Tunica
    30 Mercenary Captain's Doublet
    39 Fomor Tunic ~ Drops off NM
    40 Combat Caster's Cloak
    50 Crow Jupon
    58 Puppetry Tobe ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Coffer Type Thing See Below for info
    60 Aketon ~ Good to solo in
    72 Pahluwan Khazagand

Hands
    14 Battle Gloves
    56 Puppetry Dastanas ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Coffer Type Thing See Below for info
    57 Light Gauntlets ~ added by Cloudu ~ Garlaige Citadel Coffer
    62 Creek M Mitts ~ Tarutaru RSE
    72 Pahluwan Dastanas

Waist
    30 Mercenary Captain's Belt
    40 Tilt Belt
    48 Life Belt
    50 Swift Belt ~ Drops off 5 NMs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
    60 Potent Belt

Legs
    21 Garrison Hose
    31 Wonder Braccae ~ Tarutaru RSE
    40 Combat Caster's Slacks
    50 Crow Hose
    52 Puppetry Churidars ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Quested
    72 Pahluwan Seraweels

Feet
    13 Light Soleas
    28 Air Solea
    29 Wonder Clomps ~ Tarutaru RSE
    34 Windurstian Gaiters
    50 Crow Gaiters
    54 Puppetry Babouches ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Coffer Type Thing See Below for info
    62 Creek M Clomps ~ Tarutaru RSE

Back
    18 Cotton Cape +1
    30 Sarcenet Cape
    30 Wrestler's Mantle
    49 Dodge Cape
    52 Bellicose Mantle
    55 Royal Army Mantle ~ Conquest Item
    55 Republican Army Mantle ~ Conquest Item
    68 Cheviot Cape
    70 Boxer's Mantle ~ Limbus Coin Item
    70 Gigant Mantle

Earring
    16 Bone Earring +1
    21 Beetle Earring +1
    45 Tortoise Earring +1
    50 Velocity Earring
    52 Accurate Earring ~ Never seen this on AH
    55 Spike Earring
    55 Waetoto's Earring
    61 Minuet Earring
    63 Merman's Earring
    65 Diabolos's Earring ~ Avitar item
    67 Triumph Earring
    75 Brutal Earring ~ Limbus Coin Item

Ring
    14 Courage Ring
    34 Jaeger Ring ~ Drops from NM
    36 Puissance Ring
    40 Sniper's Ring
    49 Kshama Ring No. 8 ~ Dropped off ENM
    54 Victory Ring
    74 Flame Ring

Ranged
    1 Animator
    40 Turbo Animator ~ Puppetmaster AF ~ Quested

Coffer Type AF pieces ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    There are 3 pieces of AF gear that aren't quested, you need to talk to Dhima Polehvia just north of Iruki-Waraki after you start the AF3 quest. She'll make you the Puppetmaster gear if you bring her the materials and a fee. Like the Automaton Frames, you need to pick it up on the next Japanese day.

Body:
    Puppetry Tobe

Items Needed:
    Scarlet Linen
    Moblinweave
    Wamoura Cloth
    Ruby

Fee:
    Imperial Gold Piece
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hands:
    Puppetry Dastanas

Items Needed:
    Platinum Sheet
    Rainbow Thread
    Wamoura Cloth
    Marid Leather

Fee:
    Imperial Mythril Piece
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Feet:
    Puppetry Babouches

Items Needed:
    Platinum Sheet
    Ruby
    Marid Leather
    Wamoura Cloth

Fee:
    2x Imperial Mythril Piece

Attachments
    Accelerator ~ Enhances Evasion.
    Accelerator II ~ Also enhances Evasion.
    Analyzer ~ Increases chance of mitigating the effects of special attacks previously used by the enemy.
    Armor Plate ~ Enhances Defense.
    Armor Plate II ~ Also enhances Defense.
    Attuner ~ Boosts attack against strong enamies.
    Auto-Repair Kit ~ Raises max HP, adds refresh effect.
    Auto-Repair Kit II ~ Raises max HP more, adds refresh effect.
    Damage Gauge ~ Makes cureing a priority when useing Mage Maton.
    Drum Magazine ~ Reduces ACC to grant higher attack rate.
    Equalize ~ Reduces damage received according to damage taken.
    Eraser ~ Erase enfeebling and maneuver effects.
    Flashbulb ~ Any frame will use the spell Flash for no MP loss.
    Heat Seeker ~ Enhances accuracy over time.
    Heatsink ~ Reduces rate of overload when using fire manuvers.
    Inhibitor ~ Will make your maton more likely to use a weapon skill after you use one.
    Loudspeaker~ Enhances magic attack.
    Loudspeaker II ~ Also enhances magic attack.
    Mana Booster ~ Increases the likelyhood of your mage maton casting a spell.
    Mana Channeler ~ increses magic attack, increases recast time on spells.
    Mana Conserver ~ Gives your maton conserve MP.
    Mana Converter ~ Takes 50% of current HP to grant same amount of MP over time.
    Mana Jammer ~ Boosts Magic defense.
    Mana Jammer II ~ Also boosts magic defense.
    Mana Tank ~ Increases Max MP, adds refresh effect.
    Mana Tank II ~ Also increases max MP, and adds refresh effect.
    Pattern Reader ~ Evasion will increase over time.
    Scanner ~ Makes enfeebling magic a casting priority.
    Scope ~ Increases ranged accuracy.
    Shock Absorber ~ Allows any frame to use stoneskin for no MP loss.
    Smoke Screen ~ Maton looses accuracy to gain evasion.
    Stabilizer ~ Increases melee accuracy.
    Stabilizer II ~ Also increases melee accuracy.
    Stealth Screen ~ Reduces maton's hate.
    Strobe ~ Allows any frame to use provoke.
    Tactical Processor ~ Decreases decision-making time, but increases the tendency to Overload.
    Target Marker ~ Increases accuracy against strong monsters.
    Tension Spring ~ Enhances attack.
    Tension Spring II ~ Also enhances attack.
    Volt Gun ~ sometimes adds enthunder to maton's melee attacks.

Assuming you have enough elemental points open, the level one and the level two attachemnts do stack.

Last edited by mytoy; 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Pup. Babouches
      Platinum Sheet
      Ruby
      Marid Leather
      Wamoura Cloth
      2x Imp. Myhtril Piece
      Drg 75, Pup 75, War 37, Sam 37, Mnk 37, Rdm 41, Smn 18, whm 37
      Windurst Rank 10, CoP complete, Zilart Complete

Comment

Thank You!!!!

Comment

havent updated in a while but major update in a few

Comment

k just need to add the links to the attachments >.<

EDIT: Done ^^
            Last edited by mytoy; 09-22-2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

No Asuran Fists for PUP? Bummin'.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
              SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

major update otw

Comment

ok i when i copy this off of the original it wont give me the links so im just gonna delete this thread, create a new one and just put the link to the original in it

Comment

Working...
                  X