Paladin questions from a returning player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paladin questions from a returning player

Well i am a returning player that quit before CoP expansion and had a few paladin questions. i have never played the paladin class and i am asking these questions from my old point of view of WAR/NIN main tank and DRK up to the levels of 74. Though i asked a little bit about paladins in my "returning players post" i figured i would get a more indepth response in this area. Thanks for any help.

1. Are paladins still a viable option for main tank? are they as desired or more desired as the other tank options out there?

2. What are the paladin's roles nowadays? when i quit i had mainly saw PLD/WAR being tanks. Is there anything new? (2handers, DD, etc)

3. Though this is far away and something i have never experienced, anything about PLD endgame? Is it fun? Do people need PLDs? Will they be invited to come? Role within endgame?

-4- Lastly if anyone with experience in both PLD and THF(or knows a lot about both jobs) could compare the two(i know they're completely different jobs). which of the two classes is more wanted or is it equally weighted? and which should i level if i wanted to participate in endgame. im sure there are advantages to both jobs but anything to help me decide between the two jobs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Signature by Fallenintoshadows

Re: Paladin questions from a returning player

1: Yes PLD are IMO the best tanks of the game(we can hold hate better than NIN and we can last longer) now days no1 want a WAR/NIN for tanking reasons.

2:Straight Tanking(PLD/WAR) Kiters (PLD/NIN)

3:Yes every endgame Ls need lot of PLD's so yes endgame is goodfor PLD

4:ppl want PLD to keep em alive...and ppl want THF for TH.

Comment

1. I'm going to answer this from the getting parties and exp perspective. Tanks are always sought after. You shouldn't have any problem getting a party until the merit range (72-75). Depending on the target mob and party composition, paladins can be more durable tanks then ninjas. I'm thinking specifically of imps with amnesia and colibri with flurry peck.

2. Role is generally tank, whether it be /war for the majority of the level grind, or /nin for HNM and merits. As a DD I've found I still prefer my one handed sword. I've given algol + /sam a try and its just meh to me. Because of the lower weapon rating you'll find you are stuck with sushi and +acc in gear. With a sword and the same acc gear you can eat meat and do the same damage. You won't see the same spikes as you would from a good spinning slash, but I perfer the more consistant damage out put. Also using a sword you have more options for your sub, ninja or warrior verses the pretty much required samurai sub for 2handers.

3. Endgame is just like everything else, purely situational. In an event such as limbus or salvage where mobs are generally soft and time is precious paladins find themselves feeling less useful then a good warrior. When it comes to HNMs and bosses for those same events however paladins are often requested again because of their durablity.

4. The paladin verses thief can be broken down to "the guy that gets punched in the face while everyone else wacks the mob" verses "the guy we want around to have placebo treasure hunter effect go off, and will blame when it doesn't." This is of course an over simplification, and the general "need" of any job varies greatly based on situation, what others like to play and who from your selected group happens to be online at the time. You could always level both and just switch between the two as needed. Which ever you do first really won't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I hope this helps. My advice to anyone returning is to try and find a group of friends in the game. No matter what your initial thoughts of a job are, the people you play with are going to be the ones that help you enjoy it or out right hate it

Comment

thanks!
        Signature by Fallenintoshadows

Comment

Working...
        X