Valor coronet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valor coronet question

Please excuse if this post is hazy or inconsise. I am neither a paladin myself nor quite sure what I'm even talking about.

The Valor Coronet (Relic head piece) has a trait that "Enhances job ability Cover". What exactly does this trait enchance, if it is not (and the person for whom I am asking has satisfied himself that it does not) the length of time for which cover lasts?

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
    If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
    *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Re: Valor coronet question

Originally posted by Irisjir Callard
    Please excuse if this post is hazy or inconsise. I am neither a paladin myself nor quite sure what I'm even talking about.

The Valor Coronet (Relic head piece) has a trait that "Enhances job ability Cover". What exactly does this trait enchance, if it is not (and the person for whom I am asking has satisfied himself that it does not) the length of time for which cover lasts?
    It enhances the effectiveness in cover. Yes, attacks can go through cover (Played as DRK and I can attest to this, even when properly aligned) Does not lengthen duration, but gives better "coverage" if you will. Many times I've tested cover and it varies from player to player through level differences and gear. A PLD 5 or more levels lower than the person he's covering for will have holes in this JA and gear can help in any situation. I died once even with cover up behind a PLD 2 levels lower than me once. This was after a 1,200 guillotine on some NM in Sky...

Comment

Valor Coronet's stat is as follows;

Def 28 HP+18 Healing Magic Skill+10 Enmity+3 Enhances "Rampart" Effect

thus, u must be mistaken for either Gallant Coronet (AF head) or Valor Surcoat (relic body), both have Cover enhancements.

to my undestanding and according to the tests conducted, AF head's enhancement extends the duration of the ability, while the duration is dependant on the difference of VIT, between the covering PLD and a player being covered, and when the difference is too small or too large, AF's enhancement doesn't kick in as it gets capped.

btw, i've never heard of AF head giving "better coverage" before, nor seen anyone reporting it, so i'd just leave that untouched.

if it's Valor Surcoat u meant to be talking about, it converts 20% of the dmg taken while covering someone to MP. note that the dmg must come from the cover; if u activate it but actually not covering someone else, u won't get any MP back even if u take dmg.

and if u were indeed talking about Valor Coronet, and wondering what its "Enhances Rampart Effect" does, it simply extends the duration of the ability, from 30 seconds to 45.

Comment

I thought Gallant Coronet allows you to Cover magic? I tested its duration with Lionx (73 WHM) in my party and it still lasted the same 15 seconds.

Comment

PLDs that ACTUALLY USE COVER?

omg

For some reason, I NEVER see PLDs use cover anymore. Hell, last time I saw cover was when I was goofing off on a friend's mule (55PLD)

Comment

I was a PLD who used cover. Our static RNG lived behind me practically. Except when the THF needed to get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bside
              Valor Coronet's stat is as follows;

Def 28 HP+18 Healing Magic Skill+10 Enmity+3 Enhances "Rampart" Effect

thus, u must be mistaken for either Gallant Coronet (AF head) or Valor Surcoat (relic body), both have Cover enhancements.

to my undestanding and according to the tests conducted, AF head's enhancement extends the duration of the ability, while the duration is dependant on the difference of VIT, between the covering PLD and a player being covered, and when the difference is too small or too large, AF's enhancement doesn't kick in as it gets capped.

btw, i've never heard of AF head giving "better coverage" before, nor seen anyone reporting it, so i'd just leave that untouched.

if it's Valor Surcoat u meant to be talking about, it converts 20% of the dmg taken while covering someone to MP. note that the dmg must come from the cover; if u activate it but actually not covering someone else, u won't get any MP back even if u take dmg.

and if u were indeed talking about Valor Coronet, and wondering what its "Enhances Rampart Effect" does, it simply extends the duration of the ability, from 30 seconds to 45.
              Like I said I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. I was told it was valor headpiece.

DMG converted to MP is a neat trick....I wish WHM got something that did that.

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
              If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
              *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

Originally posted by Feba
                For some reason, I NEVER see PLDs use cover anymore. Hell, last time I saw cover was when I was goofing off on a friend's mule (55PLD)
                Hehehe myself and 3 friends were killing Baronial Bat for me yesterday, and our rng pulled hate with a massive Slug Shot; immediately ran behind the pld, who straight away covered - nice to see pld and cover used properly. I agree, its becoming a lost art...

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

I haven't exped with a PLD that consistantly used cover since I last exped PLD... Some of them aren't too bad with it. They cover now and then, although not as often as I'd like. But usually if you ask them to cover, they will. Others seem to have no idea how the job ability really works.
                  Generic Info!

Comment

Effect of the PLD gear has been tested and stated here before already. In conclusion the results were:

Gallant Coronet/Gallant Coronet +1 (Enhances "Cover" effect, adds Magic Cover)
                    Valor Surcoat/Valor Surcoat +1 (Enhances "Cover" effect, 10% of damage converted to MP)

The bonus of Surcoat is for the damage you take at the 10% you can bomb yourself with a good cure in effect shaving off about 40% of the damage taken. Coupled with other -damage gear and this becomes very usefull. Don't think it's ever been tested if the +1 versions give a better effect. If they do that'll be really nice if Valor Surcoat +1 boosts the % of MP gained higher.

Though I wonder what effect would Gallant Coronet +1 have then? Perhaps reflects magic attacks? or absorbs magic attacks as a cure?

Outside of those 4 pieces of items the only other item I know effected by Cover is "Save the Queen". It's latent kicks in when Cover is active.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Irisjir Callard
                      DMG converted to MP is a neat trick....I wish WHM got something that did that.
                      http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/8066

Not easy to get by any means, but then again, neither is valor surcoat (it's a Dyna-Xarc drop and therefore very rare since overall drop rate in northlands dynamises is terrible.)
                      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Lol, if ur gonna get the ethereal earring, you might as well just go for the magnetic earring instead since you only get to choose 1. 3% conversion means 1 mp per 33 dmg... Conserve MP+5 will probably save you more mp than that on the long run and spell interruption down to help you with those cures while getting hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop
                          Lol, if ur gonna get the ethereal earring, you might as well just go for the magnetic earring instead since you only get to choose 1. 3% conversion means 1 mp per 33 dmg... Conserve MP+5 will probably save you more mp than that on the long run and spell interruption down to help you with those cures while getting hit.
                          Yeah, ethereal earring might have a small use for PLDs to use in combination with their surcoat. For any other job though probably not that great.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Ethereal Earring shines on DRG.

DRG/Mage + Ethereal Earring = win.

ok, let's assume a wyvern Heal III does 250HP (I think it's actually closer to 270 for most 75 DRG, but still)

now let's assume we're using a 7MP trigger (Dia, you can get down to 5-6 MP with other spells though)

7MP = 231 damage taken

^-^ but that's a different story

Comment

Originally posted by bside
                              If it doesn't enhance the duration, then it has to do something. However, it seems the OP was mistakened about this as the general consensus is that it does in fact enhance duration (Whenever you see "enhances cover effect" on an item's description) But I can attest to you right now that cover doesn't give you 100% blanket protection. Several deaths behind competant PLDs is enough to make me believe cover doesn't work on the same principal as a THF's perfect dodge...

Comment

Working...
                              X