Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /War the only tanking Sub?

Is /war the only 'tanking' sub?

God I hope so becuase if it's like pally I really don't want to Lv up Rdm ;P. Got war 30 already, nin 25, and leveling up dnc atm for solo. So I'd like to keep it simple and have only a few Subs for nin! /dnc /war.

Don't burst my bubble !

EDIT:
    Oh YEAH wait whats a good DPS sub too? Totally forgot! Hmm.. Thf? I could deal with getting Thf to lv 37.
    Last edited by Leesuke; 09-10-2008, 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Kill One, Scare a Hundred. Kill a Hundred, Conquer a Thousand." - (Unknown)
    "To remind that all humans make mistakes, and that all leaders are but human." - Leto Atreides II

Re: /War the only tanking Sub?

At low levels, yes it more or less is.

At higher levels (75) with gear for it, DRK is also an alternative.
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

well hmmm Maybe /sam or /drk would be better for DD. Leaning more towards /sam
      "Kill One, Scare a Hundred. Kill a Hundred, Conquer a Thousand." - (Unknown)
      "To remind that all humans make mistakes, and that all leaders are but human." - Leto Atreides II

Comment

Well I won't tell you what to do or anything, but in general opinion you would not be invited for DD.

At 75, the reason for subbing DRK is the high hate tools via job abilities and spells such as Stun, Sleep. With proper support and haste spells/gear, it overshadows WAR for tanking.

DPS sub, go with WAR. Beserk, Double Attack will outdo the other jobs. THF is not a good DPS sub, you gain no benefits beside the odd Sneak Attack + (Weaponskill).
        [LadyKiKi]
        Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
        .:|The Prototype BST|:.
        Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Originally posted by Leesuke View Post
          well hmmm Maybe /sam or /drk would be better for DD. Leaning more towards /sam
          /SAM isn't going to excel as a DD sub over /WAR unless you're using a 2 handed weapon. As a NIN, that's just a downright bad idea, since you give a whole bunch of dual wield bonuses doing so. Berserk and Double Attack form /WAR are quite good.

The only DD subs that might rival /WAR for NIN might be /RNG (if you invest a whole lot of gil into ranged acc gear and pricy shurikens) or /RDM (maybe even /BLM) during the 10~15 levels when the elemental wheel really shines.

/THF is not a good DD sub. It's a good hate control sub for situations where a player like a DRK or SAM will fold like a deck of cards if they pull hate (e.g. big nasty NM).
          Lyonheart
          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

From a tiny squishy mage point of view, I prefer tanks with /war. I've done events with the tanks /drk and 90% of the time it was a mess. And no I'm not a cure 4 bomber, I know how to use regens, etc.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
              From a tiny squishy mage point of view, I prefer tanks with /war. I've done events with the tanks /drk and 90% of the time it was a mess. And no I'm not a cure 4 bomber, I know how to use regens, etc.
              /WAR is no doubt much harder to mess up than /DRK.
              Lyonheart
              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I know of one nin who tanked in his carear from 40-75 as /blm, /rdm using elejitsu spam to maintain hate. Costs alot of money does alot of damage and holds hate suprisingly well.

sig courtesy tgm
                retired -08

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
                  I know of one nin who tanked in his carear from 40-75 as /blm, /rdm using elejitsu spam to maintain hate. Costs alot of money does alot of damage and holds hate suprisingly well.
                  Ya partied with some people through the levels that did that too and they were AWFUL tanks! Not only costs a lot of money but takes someone with a brain apparently.
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I hear ninjutsu damage starts to be "meh" compared to melee damage in th 60's. Which I wouldn't doubt, because magic damage does not scale well with levels.

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                      The only DD subs that might rival /WAR for NIN might be /RNG (if you invest a whole lot of gil into ranged acc gear and pricy shurikens) or /RDM (maybe even /BLM) during the 10~15 levels when the elemental wheel really shines.
                      Don't forget /BLM as well. Sure, there's no Fast Cast, but an additional level of MAB and more INT+ compensates for it.

Comment

For elemental wheel, at least from level 40 ~ 55 a NIN/WAR tank can (should) use it too, combine with Katana and Provoke, Berserk. At level 50, NIN/WAR has double attack, level 60 Blade: Jin, level 65 Dual Weird IV. When played properly, NIN/WAR tanking in non-TP-burn exp party is awesome.
                        Last edited by Celeal; 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM.
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Working...
                        X