Returning to Dragoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Dragoon

Well, my love for dragons and my love for the dragoon class has at last brought me back to it. I haven't played it since about the time ToAU was released (I went to SMN at that point), so I really would like to ask about the Dragoon-specific merits.

I'm going to merit some of my DRG stuff, but I'd like to know what to merit for both groups. I'll probably be soloing a lot, but I enjoy grouping too. Any tips?

Re: Returning to Dragoon

KoolAid Linkshell :: Merit Points

Dragoon Specific Merits

Ancient Circle Recast Shorten recast time by 20 seconds. 1>2>3>4>5

Jump Recast Shorten recast time by 3 seconds.

High Jump Recast Shorten recast time by 6 seconds.

Super Jump Recast Shorten recast time by 10 seconds.

Spirit Link Recast Shorten recast time by 6 seconds.

Deep Breathing Ability: Enhances effect of next wyvern breath.

Angon Ability: Expends an angon to lower an enemy's defense.

Empathy Job Trait: Copies beneficial status effects to wyvern when using Spirit Link.

Strafe Job Trait: Increases accuracy of wyvern breath.

Those are DRG's merits. For category one, I'd personally go with Super Jump and High Jump for the extra hate shredding. Or you could do Jump and High Jump for more DoT. Ancient Circle recast is a joke, and chances are if you need spirit link faster, something's not going right at all.

For the category two, my votes go to Angon for the defense down effect. It's -20% for 30 seconds to a max of 1 minute. 20% is pretty damn powerful, the only thing that matches it is Armor Break (25) but a WAR would generally be better off spending that TP on Raging Rush or Steel Cyclone. This is instant and it hurts.

Secondly I'd take Empathy since at lv 3 it will copy the last 3 buffs placed on yourself to your wyvern. I'm sure I
    don't need to tell you how awseome copying say, Berserk and Fighter's Roll to your wyvern would be

However you said you enjoy soloing a lot? In which case Deep Breathing and Strafe can be nice to greatly increase the efficiency of your heal breaths. It's all up to you (I saw a screen once of a Heal Breath III for over 1200 HP it was insane, but the guy used Deep Breathing and the wyvern had a lot of tp)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

As I understand it, Strafe only helps with the resist rate, it does not add any power to your wyvern's breaths, and shouldn't do anything for Healing Breaths.

The only sure thing that I would merit in tier 1 group is High Jump. I don't feel that 15 seconds off of Jump is worthwhile, and while 30 seconds off of Super Jump would be nice, I don't need it that much with High Jump and Seigan +Third Eye. I might use those merits elsewhere, I might not, I'm undecided on that.

For tier 2 groups, I'm thinking along the lines of at least 1 Angon, and full Deep Breathing. I think that Strafe might be nice, but I'd rather have Empathy than Strafe. I'm leaning more towards full Angon/Deep Breathing merits.

Due to the things I do, I can't see my wyvern benefiting much from any of the really outstanding buffs from Empathy, like the Cor rolls for instance. I think extending the benefits of Angon outweigh the benefits my wyvern might get from Empathy.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Deep Breathing is at best once every 10 minutes though, as opposed to Empathy passing on double minuet and/or berserk and other buffs. I think that would far outweigh the usefulness of a powered up breath every 10 minutes.

And let's just look at jump's math for a second.

1:30 by default, which means 40 jumps per hour. Fully merited, this changes to 48 jumps an hour. Yeah I know it doesn't seem like much but that's still 8 additional free hits an hour. This is why I favor High Jump and Super Jump for the extra hate shedding, but it's all up to you. (Fully merited High Jump and Super Jump mean 4 more each per hour. Again not much but what can you do? DRG kinda got shafted in their category 1 merits)
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

This is what I've done so far:

Polearm 8/8
          Crit 1
          Jump 1
          High Jump1
          Deep Breathing 1
          Angon1

I don't fight a lot of HNMs so my Angon is mainly used when I feel rich and want to waste them in Campaign. Deep Breathing is nice but there aren't really many times I need it.

I love having my jumps just a tad shorter. I will be working on jumps, crits and empathy now. I know I am at least doing 2 empathy.

I solo a lot and do Campaign. I have a routine when I know when my jumps are usually up. Its sad but thats how much I solo. I really notice the few seconds shaved off.
          Thanks Kazuki.
          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

This is my projected path:

Spirit Link: 5
            High Jump: 5

I never seem to need Super Jump that often and I do a lot of stuff like Dynamis and Limbus where AOEs run rampant. Besides, offensive breaths are based off wyvern hp so it's nice to be able to top it off.

Deep Breathing: 1
            Angon: 1
            Empathy: 1
            Strafe: 3

Strafe seems to only really come into it's own fully merited so I want to see what it can do. If it sucks then I'll just pull the merits and cap Empathy and Angon. Deep Breathing is useful in situations but it's not nearly as necessary as it used to be. I was hitting over 600 on Healing Breaths while farming the other day. That last update was hot.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

If I was drg only:

Polearm -> 8
              Crit hit -> 4
              Jump -> 5
              H. Jump -> 5
              Angon -> 3
              Deep Breathing -> 1
              Empathy -> 2
              [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]