No announcement yet.

Hmm to buy or not to buy.... Not...!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm to buy or not to buy.... Not...!!!

I'm lvl 57 Dark Knight.. among other jobs... and I must say I love it!!!! Getting that outta the way.... I can't understand why peeps feel like at lvl 59, they MUST have the Haubergeon. My current gear for combat is:

(head) Shock Mask 50 Def: 19 Convert MP to HP: 10 Evasion: 4 Ranged Accuracy: -4 Attack: 4
    (neck) Royal Guard's Collar 55 Def: 6 Attack: 4 Accuracy: 4
    (ranged) Lightning bow +2 DEX
    (hands) Jaridah Bazubands 55 Def: 14 HP: -9 Accuracy: 3 Ranged Accuracy: 3 Evasion: 2
    (waist) Life Belt Accuracy: 10
    (body) Jaridah Peti 55 Def: 42 HP: -25 Ranged Accuracy: 5 Attack: 5 Accuracy: 5
    (rings) Venerer ring Accuracy: 3, Woodsman's ring Accuracy: 5 Rngd Acc: 5
    (feet) Chaos Sollerets 52 Def: 10 HP: 15 MND: 5 Enhances Arcane Circle Effect

Now that's outta the way.. let's look at the incredible Haubergeon everyone is flocking to the AH once they hit 58-59 to buy... or have crafted...
    Haubergeon 59 Def: 45 STR: 5 DEX: 5 AGI: -5 Accuracy: 10 Attack: 10 Evasion: -20.
    Hmmmmmmm.... let's compare that to the body piece Jaridah Peti 55 Def: 42 HP: -25 Ranged Accuracy: 5 Attack: 5 Accuracy: 5

The differences: Haubergeon has +3 def, +5 Str, +5 Dex, +5 Attck, +5 Acc; let's not forget to add on the -20 eva from the Hauber and the -5 AGI. All this for (current price on Hades server) $3.5 - $3.8 million gil <- WHAT A DEAL!?! =_=''

Now at lvl 69... this really nice piece becomes available... at which point I can understand switching to it and paying the price...
    Hauberk 69 Def: 47 STR: 5 DEX: 5 Evasion: -10 Attack: 10 Accuracy: 10

So I go through all this to say, if u can't afford a Hauber don't worry... you'll not be gimped by not having one... if u keep the same gear I listed above or something even remotely similar through lvl 68-69... you'll be fine (use sole sushi as ur food of choice). My gear listed above has approx. +30 in accuracy BEFORE any food... then I add in sole sushi... at lvl 58, you can go w/ the Vassago's scythe for an additional +5 accuracy and the Assault Earring for an add +2 accuracy... (even without the scythe and earring at my current lvl, I RARELY miss and can successfully skill chain w/ ninja tank, or even a samuari!)

So good luck u guys... hold out for the Hauberk... that's one sweet piece of body armor.

Take care!
    Lv 75 BLM, 75 SMN, 75 DRK, 75BRD, 75PUP, 70WHM, 70SCH
    Primary jobs **Animator +1**
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Lv 53 PLD, 37 WAR, 37 MNK, 37 THF, 34 RNG, 37 NIN, 24 BST, 37 SAM, 20 BLU, 5 COR, 4 DRG, 37 DNC, <-Secondary jobs
    LVL 66 CLOTHCRAFT, LVL 55 GOLDSMITHING

Re: Hmm to buy or not to buy.... Not...!!!

IMHO Your crazy to pass up 5 str 5 dex 5 acc and 5 atk for something you can sell later and get a better piece and make some money off of it. But thats just my 2g.

(BTW, still making money for this on my BST55 now , can't wait to actually get this thing, I'll own the parsers!)
    BRD75 BST55 WHM44 NIN37 RDM36 WAR35 BLM34
    MNK20 THF20 SMN17 DRG16 ... all others are <15, but >10.

Linkshell-Tob (www.templarsofbaldur.com)
    Rank-6.2 Windurst

Comment

At Lv.58, here's my TP Build:

Scythe: Vassago's Scythe - Acc+5
      Great Sword: Great Sword
      Head: Valk Mask - Atk+7 MP+10
      Body: Ryl. Knight's Chainmail - STR+2 DEX+2 Atk+3
      Hands: Ryl. Knight's Mufflers - Acc+3
      Legs: Ryl. Knight's Breeches - STR+2 DEX+2 Atk+3
      Feet: Chaos Sollerets - ~meh~
      Rings: Woodsman Ring x2 - Acc+10 RngAcc+10
      Waist: Life Belt - Acc+10
      Back: Ryl. Army Mantle - STR+2 MND+2
      Neck: Ryl. Guard's Collar - Acc+4 Atk+4
      Earrings: Spike Earring x2 - Atk+10

So with that set up, I currently have:

Acc+32
      Atk+27
      STR+6
      DEX+4

Now, let's add Hauby into that mix.

Acc+43 (+10 difference)
      Atk+34 (+7 difference)
      STR+9 (+3 difference)
      DEX+7 (+3 difference)

Now that may not seem like much, but factor that in with a STR build as Elvaan I could push STR+30 with food. Another option is to couple the Hauby with STR rings instead of Acc rings.

On Lakshmi Hauby is 5M, while Sniper's are 2M each, and Woodsmans are 1.6M each. Your alternative isn't bad, but I have noticed a difference between Hauby DRKs and Hauby-less DRKs. Same goes for WARs.

The Eva and AGI down doesn't really effect DRK, but I don't like the HP-25 on Jaridah Peti when coupled with Souleater.

I'm a pretty damn good DRK at Lv.58 with the above set up, but I feel the Hauby's worth it, and I will have one when I hit Lv.59.

Side Note: For me it's worth it even more since I'm also leveling WAR and SAM as well. So 5M for a body piece that will last quite a while for 3 different jobs.
      Odude
      PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
      RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
      SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I haven't decided if I'm going to try for a Hauby when I get into the late 50s. At the moment my friend and I are BCing our arses off to get a Peacock Charm and if that fails we'll spend a fair amount of time camping Argus for a Peacock Amulet instead.

Obviously if I wore a PC and a Hauby I could use more atr/att gear in other slots rather than having all the acc but would a Hauby really be worth the expense if I've got acc+ up to the eyeballs?

Let's say, hypothetically, my equip at 59 is;

Head: Empress Hairpin or Valk Mask
        Body: Royal Knight's Chainmail
        Hands: R.K Mufflers
        Legs: R,K Breeches
        Feet: Jaridah Nails or Bounding Boots

Now add into that a Life Belt, Peacock Charm, Woodsman Ring x2, Spike Earrings x2, Royal Army Mantle and a Vassago's Scythe

I don't really see the need for a Hauby. Also this entire setup wouldn't cost the earth because of the rare/ex items and several CP pieces.

Comment

bet·ter1 Audio pronunciation of "better" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (btr)
          adj. Comparative of good.

1. Greater in excellence or higher in quality.
          2. More useful, suitable, or desirable: found a better way to go; a suit with a better fit than that one.
          3. More highly skilled or adept: I am better at math than English.
          4. More advantageous or favorable; improved: a better chance of success.

"The Haubergeon is better."

Comment

Seriously, Parser wise, Haubergeon blows the Jaridah Peti out of the water.
            Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
            90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

In the Peti vs the Haub debate, the haub wins hands down. Hauby gives you twice the stats of the peti and then some. Yes, you can wait for a hauberk at 69, but you can use the Hauby to make the Hauberk and save yourself time and effort. Or just flat out sell the Hauby and buy the hauberk and possibly get some money back in the transaction.

Now Scorp vs (hq)Peti is a different story.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I wish drg had the option of buying the hauby or not.
                Thanks Kazuki.
                Dragoon Equipment

Comment

id buy it if i were you...you can always either A, have it crafted into a hauberk, or B, sell and buy a hauberk <_< of course, you could go with the peti, but people might think you're gimp <_< also, it helps to not be gimp when lvling WAR, MNK, DRK DRG, or THF, pre 66 <_< due to the fact that 'no one wants them' :x
                  WAR75/ MNK45/ WHM38/ RDM6/ DRG13/ RNG42/ BLM21/ THF45 /SAM22 /NIN53 /BRD64 /DRK11 /SMN12/BST28/ PLD13/18 BLU/17 COR/1 PUP

"The man all the ladies want."

Comment

I got rid of my hauberk for that sipahi body and tracker's keck in place of that fugly pants (Thick breeches) Anywho...

Hauby was the thing to get at the late 50s, because back then, there were no sipahi or jaridah. However, now the new players have a choice and sushi (damn hookers are too spoiled for their own good -- in my days it was chiefkabobs ftw)

Anyway, I don't think a hauby is a requirement anymore and 90% of melees agree with me. That is why that equipment dropped almost 1.5 mil in value in just a few weeks. I mean, SH is under 3 mil on our server now (It's like 7 mil still on Middie lololololol )

Sipahi and double attacks are evil man. Really.

Comment

Scorpion Harness is about the same price as Haubergeon on Bismarck, last I checked.

I own a Scorpion Harness, and while I feel it is an amazing piece, I don't think it is necessarily worth it for MNK given that the only stat it contributes to our DD is Accuracy +10 and our AF body has Accuracy +5. However, because I've never seen the price on SH bottom out, I figure I may as well keep my money in an asset (SH) until I need that money, simply because that way the gil will be working for me by giving me Accuracy +5 until I need to spend it on something else.

Haubergeon, however, is so SO much better than Scorpion Harness for a DD. If they made a Haubergeon Gi, I would get it in a f**king second. Snap your fingers, and I'd already have it. 3.8 million gil is a good chunk of change, but it is worth it for the Haubergeon. If you get it at 59, you effectively become a 61-62 DRK.
                      Dryhus, Elvaan male | Bismarck | San d'Oria 6 | Windurst 5
                      62RDM/60MNK/40BLM/37RNG/31WAR/24WHM/20NIN/19BRD/...
                      Woodworking 94.7+2 | Bonecraft 53 | Cooking 42 | Fishing 29
                      Smithing 29 | Alchemy 27 | Goldsmithing 21

Bismarck Crafting Services
                      My Skillcap Chart, printable on 8.5"x11"

Comment

Before there were no options, it was either RK, Hauby or nothing at all. But even now with options however the hauby is still vastly superior to both the Sipahi and the Peti. The reason they're so popular however is the fact that they are dirt cheap and stupidly simple to get. So if you have a melee without at least a RK(50k), Peti(80k), or Sipahi(100k), you should boot them fast. Though if you do get one with a hauby then start poppin champagne bottles cause you got a winner (or a gil buyer) as it's still the best 59-69.

And just for the record, the Hauby is the same price now as it was before christmas on my server, which is 3-5 mil. More then worth it imo.
                        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero
                          Before there were no options, it was either RK, Hauby or nothing at all. But even now with options however the hauby is still vastly superior to both the Sipahi and the Peti. The reason they're so popular however is the fact that they are dirt cheap and stupidly simple to get. So if you have a melee without at least a RK(50k), Peti(80k), or Sipahi(100k), you should boot them fast. Though if you do get one with a hauby then start poppin champagne bottles cause you got a winner (or a gil buyer) as it's still the best 59-69.

And just for the record, the Hauby is the same price now as it was before christmas on my server, which is 3-5 mil. More then worth it imo.
                          I don't think a Haubu is worth 3-5 million period. That is why on our server, everyone passes it up for the alternatives. You can go buy one if you still want one, but you don't need it. It's like 2.5 mil on my server, but it's not even worth that much at all. Try 1.2 million and then it's worth it (The price of it before 2nd world shift on Hades)

Comment

The OP makes my cry... ; ;

Yes there are alternatives to the Haubergeon, but keep in mind that they are ALTERNATIVES. They are acceptable replacements, but they cannot compare to the Haubergeon itself, plus by the time you hit 69 you'll want the Hauberk... may as well just get your Haub crafted in to it then. That 5 acc may not seem like much but remember that with sushi you have to have acc to give acc... so with the extra 5 acc from the Hauby you'll get a bit more acc from the sushi providing you have a decent acc build.

When you start fighting gods your going to want every drop of accuracy you can get for mobs like Byakko and Kirin (though for the life of me... I can't figure out how you can miss something as big as Kirin...) where (if your a drk) you main contribution is the sc or the Stun rotation. You'll need all the acc you can get, at least until you get some merits under your belt, I still need to work on combat skills, I wanted to get all the new abilities finish LR recast and a few other things before I worry about combat skill. I logged my char in sky... shoulda put that one merit point in to gsword skill... ah well.

Stun rotation is no big deal on Kirin though, Kirin is earth and stun is lightning based so it's kind of a non-issue however, I have managed to stun Kirin as a 75 drk with uncapped dark magic skill and no merits, I was feeling pretty proud of myself at that.

Way off topic there... anyway, the Haub IS better than the Jaridah, you can't deny that, but relative to cost, Jaridah is better and a cheap alternative. My Haubergeon was a gift from a good friend, lucky for me yes but I was ready to devote months of farming for it because I wanted to be the best drk I could be. Either way, as far as I am concerned (whether anyone agrees with me or not) if you want to be the best drk you can be, get the Haubergeon, if you don't feel like wasting time for one, your gimped. Hell buy the Haubergeon and level war and sam, those jobs can make good use of it also, but it bothers me when I see people making well equipped and skilled players of a job look bad.

I saw a 66 drk the other day with Centurion Visor, RK body, a 36 dex ring, and a 36 str ring. I tell you I died a little inside that day... course a week later he had a SH. Can anyone say gilbuyer?

You say the Haub is not worth it... I say your gimp.

Alternative gear does not equal good gear.
                            Drk 75 War 42 Sam 37 Thf 37 Nin 37 Drg 22 (Next subjob to be leveled)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                              I don't think a Haubu is worth 3-5 million period. That is why on our server, everyone passes it up for the alternatives. You can go buy one if you still want one, but you don't need it. It's like 2.5 mil on my server, but it's not even worth that much at all. Try 1.2 million and then it's worth it (The price of it before 2nd world shift on Hades)
                              Once again I find myself agreeing with Aeni. Hauby isn't worth that amount of gil. It was at almost 5mil last time I checked and there is no way I'm paying that, although this is a huge drop from the 7-8mil at christmas. To be completely honest if you have a Peacock Amulet equipped Hauby is an unnecessary expense especially when Byrnie is a third of the price.

Hauberk on the other hand is cheaper than the Hauby and worth the money if you are fighting gods, HNMs etc.
                              Last edited by queenuma; 08-05-2006, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X