This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food > Gear ?

If I do DRK with my tough guy Galka, I will have to wear full AF to the grave. It just looks too good. I could afford a haubergeon and sniper rings , but I don't dig how it looks and I dont like Sniper rings. I want to go with a +STR build. In terms of role play this is what my bad ass Galka would do. I can't enjoy this game without roleplay, but i also can't enjoy being a lousy player. I am not against eating the finest cuisine, however. So that being said... Is wearing AF to the end an aweful mistake? OR is excellent food choice STR rings/earrings and AF the recipe for a great drk (not the best, but pretty damn close?). I have found food makes a more significant difference in performance. I know food works as a percentage of your stats (gear included) but AF isn't bad gear for a DRK by any stretch of the imagination. And I am galka so the stats which wouldnt be as good for a taru are quite comfortable for me. Anyways... Roleplaying and wearing full AF is important to me so i just wanted to hear some thoughts on the looks vs stats and if it really even matters that much when u add the correct food.
    Plus were talking The AF intended for this job. I'm not talking about using something silly like darksteel... although that does look pretty nice...

Re: Food > Gear ?

full AF isnt as good as a haub/snipers would be, but ive seen drks macro out haub/snipers and macro in AF/str for WS so id get a haub/snipers even if you dont like how it looks <_<
    WAR75/ MNK45/ WHM38/ RDM6/ DRG13/ RNG42/ BLM21/ THF45 /SAM22 /NIN53 /BRD64 /DRK11 /SMN12/BST28/ PLD13/18 BLU/17 COR/1 PUP

"The man all the ladies want."

Comment

Re: Food &gt; Gear ?

AF to the end is really, not acceptable.

At 60-65 Some people are accepting of a drk without a haubergeon, but some are not (usually NA players). Even most of the 'gimp' players will at least use RK chainmail and gloves; sometimes legs too.

At 69-70, you really must get a haubergeon or hauberk, and the various 'thick armor' set pieces, but you can keep the AF helm. There is little excuse anyway, since the black suit is pretty cool looking anyhow. You are expected to shell out the gil and stop using sub-par armor (intentional or not) at this point.

Actually the AF helm is about the only AF piece acceptable from when you get it to endgame, though it is often replaced with optical hat (yuk) or celata as TP gain equipment. Then swap back to AF for WS and SE.

Regardless of armor type, you will need to use sushi for the majority of exp pts.

Comment

Originally posted by fuz
        AF to the end is really, not acceptable.

At 60-65 Some people are accepting of a drk without a haubergeon, but some are not (usually NA players). Even most of the 'gimp' players will at least use RK chainmail and gloves; sometimes legs too.

At 69-70, you really must get a haubergeon or hauberk, and the various 'thick armor' set pieces, but you can keep the AF helm. There is little excuse anyway, since the black suit is pretty cool looking anyhow. You are expected to shell out the gil and stop using sub-par armor (intentional or not) at this point.

Actually the AF helm is about the only AF piece acceptable from when you get it to endgame, though it is often replaced with optical hat (yuk) or celata as TP gain equipment. Then swap back to AF for WS and SE.

Regardless of armor type, you will need to use sushi for the majority of exp pts.
        I actually use R.K leggings at 75 still. They are better then thick and adaman leggings are trash anyway. Next best is DRK JSE leggings. I still use AF helm a lot at 75, just switch between choas and optical when you are in darkness.

Comment

T3T

Hey Square, here's an awesome idea:
          Make AF upgradeable through quests so I can look like a bad ass lord without having deuchebag stats.

And then there would be bad ass players who became better at their job by completing quests rather than spending 5 million gil.

why did AF2 have to be so bleh....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Kronosan; 08-19-2005, 01:31 PM.

Comment

ok not to whine or bitch, but seriously... yer part of the reason us DRKs have to wait in Jeuno hours on end waiting for PT.

I'm not so sure about your whole qualms about the looks whereas yer more worried about the cost. I'm gonna call BS on that because Sniper's change nothing as far as looks and you'd rather replace them with STR rings to fit your role playing? Pffft you mention no other DRK 'required' gear that wouldn't fit your role playing scheme. Why? cause everything else is quite a bit cheaper than these items (snipers and haub).

If you want to consider role playing then consider as such:

You want your DRK to have the "I look like a bad ass and am strong like one" reputation? Fine but along with that rep (if you were REALLY playing in Vana D'iel) you'd also get the "he fights like a girl*** and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside" reputation. Now you LOOK like a badass and carry on like one, but EVERYONE KNOWS it is nothing more than a FACADE. So now you're the DRK who talks the talk, but can't walk the walk. You might as well hide your head in the sand because NO ONE would respect you as a DRK.

***no offense to girls as this is JUST an expression used in the COMPLETELY politically INcorrect male world to goad other males

Comment

performance > looks any day of the week. Just change your models if you're so goddamn worried.
              滅殺

Comment

honestly, I'd just hold out from 59 => 69 with Haub. Wear your AF in town and while doing events (which is for the better any time you're fighting EM or lower where your evasion is actually valuable) and use haub in exp. When you get to 69 and can put on that scary hauberk, then you can decide if you'd rather keep doing it the same way or just wear hauberk full time.

As for the str rings vs snipers thing -- I kinda agree in that there's something about sniper's that's just not fun. And after 54, your choices for pimpdom are 1 mil snipers or 2 mil sun rings. hmmm no cheap way out, is there? Unfortunately, it's true. Dark knights do suffer horribly from accuracy so you'll prolly end up with snipers + sushi. Actually, their accuracy isn't bad, but they're the only melee that lacks a means to augment their tp gain. And casting spells doesn't help it at all. So you end up spending all your attention on attaining the highest possible acc. luckily your attack's already through the roof....
                "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

yeah, you will most likely need sole/squid sushi to exp at higher lvls because stuff gets harder to hit and being a galka drk without haub/snipers wont make it any easier. i have to shell out 36k+ for each PT for sushi and i still miss quite a bit with haub/snipers/lifebelt
                  WAR75/ MNK45/ WHM38/ RDM6/ DRG13/ RNG42/ BLM21/ THF45 /SAM22 /NIN53 /BRD64 /DRK11 /SMN12/BST28/ PLD13/18 BLU/17 COR/1 PUP

"The man all the ladies want."

Comment

<- never used susi for XP pt's. acc is fine with hauberk/optical/hat/sniper's/adaman/thick/lifebelt. just switch to +str for WS's and use atk food you'll be fine.
                    滅殺

Comment

hohoho

i hear theres new godly AF obtainable after COP missions
                      This could be more than i could hope for.

I'll say it again,. money is not a factor. I just hate how in the end a great war looks very similar to a great drk. A great thf looks similar to a great ninja.
                      With new AF obtainable at the end I don't mind shelling out 6-8 mil for good gear to hold me over till then. I just wish at level 75 i could wear a set of armor that is the best for my job and exclusive to it at the same time.

ANyways... anybody else hear about the third AF set?
                      i can find 0 information on this. And i'm not even close to finished with COP.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronosan
                        hohoho

i hear theres new godly AF obtainable after COP missions
                        This could be more than i could hope for.

ANyways... anybody else hear about the third AF set?
                        i can find 0 information on this. And i'm not even close to finished with COP.
                        You might have just given me my incentive to finish CoP if this is true (I HIGHLY doubt it as there would be more info.)

Comment

Ok , I talked to another friend and I gather now that maybe calling it AF is going too far.... Saying it is a third AF implies it will look somewhat similar to the other 2 AF sets. It will not necessarily look anything like the AF. Anyone know anything more? I'm under the impression this is new JSE, nothing most of us already know about. I was first told about this by my 75 rng cousin. And then I talked to a 75 pld friend. I'm assuming they already know all about the 70-75 jse that already exists and this new JSE appeared to be new to them.
                          Last edited by Kronosan; 08-28-2005, 02:54 PM. Reason: NEW JSE

Comment

new jse? where? any stats? are you talking about the black jse? because that's already available.
                            滅殺

Comment

could be. Considering you need to kill CoP stuff to get materials and be high level/in HNM LS. so CoP + really tough = end of CoP when the telephone bit is through. That'd be my guess anywho. Wouldn't we be seeing something like this in the FFXI files?
                              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                              X