Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Theoretical Best Race?

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
    I agree with Spider-Dan. The only race bonus people actually care about is HP. They talk about MP, but don't actually make decisions based on it, and everyone knows base stat differences are too tiny to matter. But non-bonus-HP-race tanks can and do get shoved aside or disregarded sometimes (and it must be even worse for taru). Max HP isn't actually an important stat for 99% of tanking situations, but a lot of people including some tanks don't know that. And the max hp/mp race differences are actually fairly large (presumably because SE knows that the maximums aren't that important over the long term).

Race doesn't ever make that much difference to your actual effectiveness, but it can make a difference to how other players perceive you, and when that happens, you're better off being Galka.

Even though tanking isn't your plan right now, there's more chance that you will change your mind and be a tank than that any race differences will have a significant impact on the effectiveness of COR.
    what are you smoking? I tank better then many Galka PLD I have met, and I am just a "little" "skinny" Mithra. ^.^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

what are you smoking? I tank better then many Galka PLD I have met, and I am just a "little" "skinny" Mithra. ^.^
      No one said anything about skill. The whole point of this discussion is to ignore everything that isn't the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
        I agree with Spider-Dan. The only race bonus people actually care about is HP. They talk about MP, but don't actually make decisions based on it, and everyone knows base stat differences are too tiny to matter. But non-bonus-HP-race tanks can and do get shoved aside or disregarded sometimes (and it must be even worse for taru). Max HP isn't actually an important stat for 99% of tanking situations, but a lot of people including some tanks don't know that. And the max hp/mp race differences are actually fairly large (presumably because SE knows that the maximums aren't that important over the long term).

Race doesn't ever make that much difference to your actual effectiveness, but it can make a difference to how other players perceive you, and when that happens, you're better off being Galka.

Even though tanking isn't your plan right now, there's more chance that you will change your mind and be a tank than that any race differences will have a significant impact on the effectiveness of COR.
        It's a shame people think like that. I'm a tarutaru pld and I tank HNM's just fine. I'm a firm believer that some of the best pld's are tarutaru. Having less HP means less room for mistake. I really had to refine my abilities, but once I got the hang of it, it couldn't be more rewarding.

I remember one time though that I messed up shadows on Tiamat once. Just once. What do you know, he double attacks me for 1400 and I'm dead. This is a situation where another race would survive. However, people learn and get better. HP shouldn't be an issue when tanking, but then again, this requires less room for mistake which Elvaans and Galkas can get away with.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I say Hume. Then you get the best of both worlds and aren't at the extreme in any situation.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

You know what's funny (and really if you think about it, it's no fucking duh), everyones posting to be what the race they play in the game... We've seen from Taru to Galka and everything in between. You know what that means? You guessed it! It doesn't really matter, play with whatever one seems cooler. I picked the hume because he looked like me. Mog picked the taru because, well, Mog is how you say... small...
          75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
          RANK 10 Bastok
          CoP: Done
          ZM: Done
          ToA: Done
          Assault rank: Captain
          Campaign Medal: Medals
          Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
          This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
            I say Hume. Then you get the best of both worlds and aren't at the extreme in any situation.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

You know what's funny (and really if you think about it, it's no fucking duh), everyones posting to be what the race they play in the game... We've seen from Taru to Galka and everything in between. You know what that means? You guessed it! It doesn't really matter, play with whatever one seems cooler. I picked the hume because he looked like me. Mog picked the taru because, well, Mog is how you say... small...
            Good thing I'm not compensating for something like that galkas do!
            ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

You know what's funny (and really if you think about it, it's no fucking duh), everyones posting to be what the race they play in the game...
              I'm a Mithra and my recommendation was Galka.

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Comment

Originally posted by Spider-Dan View Post
                I'm a Mithra and my recommendation was Galka.

Galka huh? Does your "Galka" wear a skimpy bikini?
                75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                RANK 10 Bastok
                CoP: Done
                ZM: Done
                ToA: Done
                Assault rank: Captain
                Campaign Medal: Medals
                Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

"Cannon Ball Run"

Comment

Galka huh? Does your "Galka" wear a skimpy bikini?
                    Let me try this again:

I play a Mithra character, but my recommendation is to play a Galka character.

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Comment

Originally posted by Spider-Dan View Post
                      Let me try this again:

I play a Mithra character, but my recommendation is to play a Galka character.
                      I still dont see why you recommend Galka for all, just because of their HP. Its called equipment, learn how to equip yourself.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Dan suggested HP was the most important stat and people are agreeing with that?

Really? Even after we all just fucking said that stats for this job were of negligible difference, we're going to 180 and say HP matters?

This job really shouldn't even be getting hit.

This job, like BRD, can hemorrhage EXP and still get it all back with ease. And unlike BRD, its buffs are not ruled by any form of skill rating, so it can get right back up and start buffing again. A galka COR will go down in a few more hits than a mithra COR, but if he can't get hate peeled off in the mild advantage he has, he's still going down. We might as well advocate an -enmity build at that point.

Cobra Unit melee gear. If you're really worried about getting hit that much, there ya go.

I didn't merit HP for COR, but given I could go full support if needed, I did merit MP to go with MP builds and mage subs.
                        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Galka gets the 2nd highest base D on WS behind Elv from combined STR/AGI, and that's not by much, so yeah, that's relatively negligible compared to a nearly 50% boost in HP compared to a Taru. Racial AGI difference is not enough to affect QD Acc or Ranged Acc for shit with proper gear, that stat is pretty much moot outside of the WS mod. 200+ HP is not negligible for any job, especially coming from someone who thinks that yellow health is 'on the brink of death'.
                          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            Really? Even after we all just fucking said that stats for this job were of negligible difference, we're going to 180 and say HP matters?

This job really shouldn't even be getting hit.
                            Do you really, honestly think that we are talking about getting hit through hate generated? COR will not generate significant enmity against any mob that matters.

A galka COR will go down in a few more hits than a mithra COR, but if he can't get hate peeled off in the mild advantage he has, he's still going down. We might as well advocate an -enmity build at that point.
                            Tell me, is Armor Buster going to deal less damage with -enmity gear? Will I be more likely to survive an SMN Astral Flow in Limbus if I hold back on my hate generation?

If you're saying that you never, ever die now then sure, HP is a meaningless stat. If you do die, then it would seem apparent that more HP would, at least occasionally, result in you NOT dying.

Keep in mind that I am NOT saying that if you rolled a non-Galka race, you are forever doomed to a life of mediocrity. But if I am to answer the OP's question honestly (and no, "there isn't a best race" is not an answer; it's a copout), Galka's advantages will benefit you more than any other race's advantages.
                            Last edited by Spider-Dan; 01-22-2010, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                              So do I, I don't think you read my post. It's not about how good you are, it's about how other people think about you. And most people that are not experienced tanks (and even some that are) only see one thing about tanks: maximum HP.

It's not a bonus that matters all that much in actual effectiveness. But it's a bonus other people care about. Even though they're dumb, you still have to deal with them.
                              Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                              RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                              All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Working...
                              X