Soloing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing advice

I was on my COR level 18 last night doing books in La Thein and killing sheep and crabs with the occasional Goblin and worm. I was having alot of trouble not dying or anything but it took FOREVER to kill anything. I was using a lvl 13 sword and my sub was DNC, just wondering is it always going to be this slow when leveling? I really want to get to 22 to try out guns and such but this is getting stupid ^^ Sorry if this is noobish

Re: Soloing advice

I've duoed with a corsair before so this is all second hand, but if I were you I'd stick it out until you can get the gun. The damage output on them is pretty wicked, add a ranged weaponskill and it eats up the lower level mobs pretty fast.

In general though, soloing is usually a little bit slower paced.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Are you using food? That can make a HUGE difference in kill speed.

If your missing a lot, then use Acc food, if you hitting often, but for low dmg, then use ATTK food.

Also... What are you targetting? If you are attacking Even Match, then aim for Decent challenge, they will die faster, and deal less damage to you.

Also... target monsters that are weak to your type of attack as well. Most flying things are weak to Piercing, which is what the gun does.

There was a nerf a while back as well that lowers your damage output with a gun as well if you are right next to the monsters. So you may want to open up with a ranged attack at a distance, then attack the monster as it comes closer.

Being /Dnc also makes kills slower. Before lvl 30 /dnc isn't very viable. Its good for nin solo before lvl 30 as you get drain samba, and 2 attacks in one round, but in a normal solo, before 30 as /dnc isnt that great. Try going /Rdm, or /whm and get the FoV refresh. Use Dia on the monster to lower its defense, and deal DoT damage as well as to cure yourself when you are low on Hp.

Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Good advice Take ^^

Comment

I know the dunes are a pain, as is Qufim Island, but classes like COR and BRD are better served by seeking out PTs. You're not going to have a hard time getting one as either job and only do a disservice to yourself and others by not learning how to function in a PT.

Solo is not, and never will be, a strong point for CORs.

I've tried really hard to work against the limitations and the best it really ever gets for us is COR/DNC at higher levels where Dancer's Roll becomes available. Combined with Drain Samba II and Healing Waltz, we gain a fair bit of endurance there, but that's a really long road and its most effective when used with a Multi-hit weapon.

Even then, the best it really ever gets is fighting EMs. I've done some Ts but it was long, tedious and only possible thanks to extensive solo experience through other jobs.

I don't mean to sound like I'm discouraging you here, but soloing is not the way to go. Its something you do for fun and that's about it.

Also, while its reasonable to avoid guns before 22, have you done any skilling up to Marksmanship before? If not, you're going to be pouring lots of gil down the drain on bullets in the time it will take you to reach your skill caps.

If you haven't done so already, go ahead an unlock DNC and RNG subs before moving any further on COR. These are two subjobs that will really help you meet your potential as a COR for your EXP career.

RNG will be really useful for giving you more accuracy, capping out Marksman skill before you go diving back into COR. It will also give you nifty things like Barrage, Sharpshot and two accuracy bonus traits.

DNC will give you some more solo endurance, but not really til you have both Samurai and Dancer's Roll at your disposal.

Being /Dnc also makes kills slower. Before lvl 30 /dnc isn't very viable. Its good for nin solo before lvl 30 as you get drain samba, and 2 attacks in one round, but in a normal solo, before 30 as /dnc isnt that great. Try going /Rdm, or /whm and get the FoV refresh. Use Dia on the monster to lower its defense, and deal DoT damage as well as to cure yourself when you are low on Hp.
          This is somewhat misleading. /DNC is viable for practically every job before 30 when soloing DCs and EM, so long as you know what you're doing and keep an eye out for potential links. It will take away TP for every Waltz, Samba or Step you do, but you gain things in return for that investment.

When you add a second or third person to your merry little band, you're going to get even more. by the time you have a full group, the benefits outweigh personal TP loss by a wide margin.

From a solo standpoint, you're going to get a little less out of it, but then, we're talking about CORs soloing. Without a gun for spike damage, soloing will be slow with any subjob. Only slightly slower with /DNC.
          Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-01-2009, 01:22 AM.

Comment

agreed w/ above, ppl go out of their ways to find brd and cor for parties. put your flag up and wait, shouldn't take too long...
            | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
            2/5 WAR +2
            Farsha(85)

Comment

What server are you on, Cel? I'm solo'ing in La Theine these days, also. We could help each other out.
              I'm a rookie explorer on Hades server (named Madjo). Say hello some time!

Comment

Ok thanks for all the info you guys are really helpful!

Originally posted by Madjo View Post
                What server are you on, Cel? I'm solo'ing in La Theine these days, also. We could help each other out.
                Madjo, I am on cerberus server, there are so many servers i doubt we would be on same one
                Anyway thanks again for all the comments and tips ^^

Comment

Working...
                X