Eager to join the "crew"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eager to join the "crew"

A bit of preface on this one, I last played FFXI about a year ago, I played a level 54 RDM on Siren. I’m ready to get back into it, and I have the Corsair job in my sights!
    Because of Square-Enix’s deletion policy, I had to start over. I’ve got WAR up to 18, and I’m about to finish up the SJ quest.
    Besides leveling Marksmanship (up to 15 w/ my trusty Republic Crossbow, heh), what advice would you wise Corsairs have for someone eager to join your ranks? Any oddities or eventualities I should prepare myself for? I hear it is quite the pain getting to ToAU, is that indeed true?
    So many questions, please enlighten me!
    Wii Code: 0043 9068 2668 6005

Re: Eager to join the "crew"

The tips I can offer:

Level RNG, WHM, and NIN sub at the least, you'll want all of them at some point. Take advantage of leveling your RNG sub to get a further head start on your Marksmanship. I definitely recommend trying to level Alchemy to 50+, it shouldn't cost you too much money, and being able to make your own cards and bullets will save you a ton of gil. COR is an expensive job, be prepared for that. That said, it's a boatload of fun, and totally worth the expense.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Actually, its better to just buy the cards off the npcs. By the time you've bought all the crystals, clusters and polyflan paper, you've spent as much or more than you would have just to buy the cards off the Nashmau Ferry or Jajaroon in Nashmau.

So its more of a matter of time spent travelling than it is gil spent to get the cards.

As Callisto said, have RNG, NIN and WHM prepared for your subjobs at minimum. You can probably save WHM for later since very few people request CORs sub it, but its still a nice thing to have at times.

For other info on COR, you can click the "A Gambler's Life" image below in my sig to be taken directly to my COR guide on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        Actually, its better to just buy the cards off the npcs. By the time you've bought all the crystals, clusters and polyflan paper, you've spent as much or more than you would have just to buy the cards off the Nashmau Ferry or Jajaroon in Nashmau.
        I should have qualified that, if you level Alchemy high enough to make your own bullets, at some point you're very likely to do Polyflan Paper as a skillup bridge. The recipe makes a ridiculous amount of paper, more than enough to last you 40-forever. I could probably buy the cards for only slightly more, but that would also leave me with 15 stacks of 99 papers sitting on a mule for no reason. I also have a lucky setup that most of my friends funnel me Mercury when they get it, clusters are very cheap on Ramuh currently, and I'm a RDM so I can just beat down any random Elemental I see if I need more.

Making your own firesand/bullets still saves you a boatload.

Comment

save money on not buying pup/bst/drg die. :p

*waits for all the drg to throw objections*
          Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
          ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Haha, I learned my lesson about not buying dice...the day I decided to pass on Puppet Roll and Beast Roll, I got an XP party invite. I get to camp and it's a pet burn party! Although I do still need PLD and DRG rolls, those are more of a finance issue though.

Comment

pet burns.... hmm perhaps later on ill get the die just for completeness sake but its ok not on the top of my list of things to buy now.

i want a phantom fleuret though.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                save money on not buying pup/bst/drg die. :p
                *waits for all the drg to throw objections*
                -throws the dragoon die at Omni-

I agree as a drg those roles are shit.
                [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

pet burns.... hmm perhaps later on ill get the die just for completeness sake but its ok not on the top of my list of things to buy now.

i want a phantom fleuret though.
                  I've only seen one COR on Ramuh with one of those, and they were possibly the worst COR I've ever seen in terms of gameplay. Must be nice to not have a day job and be in a HNMLS.

Comment

Do not overlook Beast Roll. Its very good for when you have a SMN in PT, BST in PT or not, especially since Physical blood pacts are all SMNs ever use these days. I'd weigh it out with your backline's needs, but I'd always consider rolling it for a SMN at least.

Rolling for pets on a general level is questionable as it does nothing for your allies otherwise, but SMNs can justify it if you don't need something like Warlock's or Healer's Roll on the backline. In pet based PTs, there's no questioning Puppet and Beast Roll.

Drachen Roll, however, still stinks.

COR is quickly becoming a popular jugburn subjob for BSTs, so much that I'll probably be taking it up as a subjob for Foobar's BST soon. Its not as good as having a COR main at any rate, but still nice. COR are more than welcome in avatar and BST PTs from what I've seen, this on top of us starting to edge out BRDs for manaburn.
                    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 09-13-2007, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
                      -throws the dragoon die at Omni-
                      I agree as a drg those roles are shit.

I've only seen one COR on Ramuh with one of those, and they were possibly the worst COR I've ever seen in terms of gameplay. Must be nice to not have a day job and be in a HNMLS.
                      Yea, it pays to not have a rl job in FFXI (is that like an ironic pun?)

Even if I had it, I probably wouldnt use it. It's a toss up between my chiroptera dagger or joyeuse. (can use joyeuse yet though).

Comment

Hey If it is shit I have no problem calling it shit lol.

Yea, it pays to not have a rl job in FFXI (is that like an ironic pun?)
                        Even if I had it, I probably wouldnt use it. It's a toss up between my chiroptera dagger or joyeuse. (can use joyeuse yet though).
                        I have both =D, but my cor is 11 >.>
                        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          Do not overlook Beast Roll. Its very good for when you have a SMN in PT, BST in PT or not, especially since Physical blood pacts are all SMNs ever use these days. I'd weigh it out with your backline's needs, but I'd always consider rolling it for a SMN at least.
                          Rolling for pets on a general level is questionable as it does nothing for your allies otherwise, but SMNs can justify it if you don't need something like Warlock's or Healer's Roll on the backline. In pet based PTs, there's no questioning Puppet and Beast Roll.
                          Drachen Roll, however, still stinks.
                          I never have enough time to give personal rolls to ppl. all pts think that oh you have a gun, that means you love to pull! >.>

Ppl take what i give them. so far no complaints.

I usually roll evokers and healers for backline. If theres a rdm in the pt, ill drop healers and use a warlocks roll since refresh will be pretty nice at 4-6mp/tick and making stuff stick/not-resist is always nice.

I think its really important to make use of the jobs u have in ur pt... I try to not have the brd mentality of min/mad4ever... having a sam in ur pt with sam's roll is pretty crazy. you can argue that the tp gained with sams roll probably off sets the increase in acc with hunters roll w/o a rng in pt.

I had a point to all this, but I forget now.

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
                            Hey If it is shit I have no problem calling it shit lol.
                            I have both =D, but my cor is 11 >.>
                            i got a chiroptera dagger the other week and have been holding onto it ever since. its my new baby. its so pretty, how its all black and shiny and pointy and jagged... my precious...

i cant wait until i can use joytoy though, im gonna gimp it out by tping with sword then shooting only for ws.

phantom flueret just looks cool too carry around town.

so back on topic: dont be afraid of your rolls. remember you cant hit those high rolls if you always play it safe.
                            Last edited by Omni; 09-13-2007, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Yeah, while some people will say "stay" on 6 for something like Evoker's Roll, you will never get 10 or 11 if you follow that reasoning. If you've got no Busts hanging over you, try to Double-up on a 6 instead of just sitting on it.

However, if you do have a SMN, RDM or BRD in PT, sitting on a 6 for that roll isn't so bad now as it was before the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X