Unsung part of COR update -> Soloability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsung part of COR update -> Soloability

I played around with COR/WHM today and compared to previous months, I've gotten some rather satisfying results with the new rolls in regards to soloing. We're no longer on the bottom run, no longer fully dependant on PTs to do every little thing.

We're not quite on the level of a RDM, DRG, BST or NIN, but were not below BRD and various melee in the solo department now. I'd describe how COR solos to be somewhere in-between what DRG and RDM do. We have the spike damage and we have Refresh, we just lack MP endurance, but the spike damage of Slug Shot, along with the safety of Light Shot, seems to make up what we lack in MP.

So far, I'm playing it halfway like I did RDM, I'll periodically Blink/SS buff, Protect and then Light Shot to rebuff. I'll also concede having a Joyeuse for fast TP gives me an edge here, but one could use Fighter's Roll or Samurai to improve thier TP as well.

Evoker's Roll is obviously a fixture. COR has no native Regen, so we can't quite ultilize /NIN like BRD could. BRD would just spam Paeons in between Lullaby and Utsusemi if they ever got in a jam, so the benefits of /WHM, /RDM and /BLU could be felt a bit more for COR's soloing since they give some nice tools.

So far Chaos, Samurai, Monk, Ninja, Rouge and even Gallant's are pretty useful. I'm gonna finish off my BLU sub this week and then seen how Cocoon + Gallant's works out for damage reduction, I seemed to spike back 15 damage on lesser colibri with Gallants on a good roll.

I feel confidant enough to say we could take EP to EM at this point, I'm gonna ramp up my efforts over time to see what results I can get. I'm working on lesser colibur, fomors and robber crabs for now, I may attempt some Aerns and Hpemdes later if they don't end up beating on me too hard.

I do have to say it feels nice not to have to dust off another job to farm seals and skill up parry now. We might not be able to solo avatars (I may be crazy enough to try that later if I feel the change is that good), but at least now we're not so helpless when out of a PT.

Re: Unsung part of COR update -> Soloability

Out of curiosity, do COR have any Staff skill?

I've noticed a big change in my DRK's soloability with the update. I easily demolished a DC Goblin as DRK/RDM while testing my Pole Strap the other night. All I had up at the time was Protect II, but after Drains, no use of Dread Spikes I destroyed that Gobby, survived a weak Bomb Toss, and at the end only lost maybe 200HP. (I cheat with 250~300 Drains & 300~380 Drain IIs, but it's my job! ^^)

I ~JUST~ got Raging Rush in Besieged last night, so I'm gonna give WAR/NIN with Great Axe a try here soon. See if I can do any soloing as WAR62 with the update. I guess that means I have to buy an updated Great Axe.

Good testing and heads up. I'll have to mention this to the few CORs in my LS. See what kinda tests or ideas they came up with.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

If this is the case, I may just start to experiment with solo on this job as well (I'm already facing off against a range of Lumorians on my BLU ever since popping 72, getting Disseverment, Suppa, and some Dusk on). I'd just need to figure out the general strategy for it, and I can go from there. I'm assuming you're modifying what rolls are on with the situation? Also, using Light Shot exclusively to buy time for rebuffs sounds good, as long as the target doesn't start to build resistance to it too early; a minute can be a very long time when your HP is steadily marching towards red.

Also, how early would you recommend for this? Roughly about the time you get your final rolls, or a bit later when good gear for survivability starts to become available? COR has quite a few items we can use to boost Evasion or whatnot. I suppose the biggest determinant would be what mobs one plans on soloing.

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, COR has no native Staff skill. Also, I'm thinking that one chooses Sword over Dagger, correct? That would make the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by LilithAngel View Post
        If this is the case, I may just start to experiment with solo on this job as well (I'm already facing off against a range of Lumorians on my BLU ever since popping 72, getting Disseverment, Suppa, and some Dusk on). I'd just need to figure out the general strategy for it, and I can go from there. I'm assuming you're modifying what rolls are on with the situation? Also, using Light Shot exclusively to buy time for rebuffs sounds good, as long as the target doesn't start to build resistance to it too early; a minute can be a very long time when your HP is steadily marching towards red.

Also, how early would you recommend for this? Roughly about the time you get your final rolls, or a bit later when good gear for survivability starts to become available? COR has quite a few items we can use to boost Evasion or whatnot. I suppose the biggest determinant would be what mobs one plans on soloing.

EDIT: Oh, before I forget, COR has no native Staff skill. Also, I'm thinking that one chooses Sword over Dagger, correct? That would make the most sense.
        Tired right now, gonna answer as best I can.

Light Shot is clearly your safety net for rebuffs, cures and the like. Rolls are determined by situation, but mostly so far its been Evoker's/Chaos and the soloing Style is RDM+BRD with RNG burst damage.

Gallant's can be useful for trimming down damage, though if you have War Brais on and its effects proc, you won't get the damage reflect % of Gallant's. You can gain ice spikes from a level 48 pair of pants if you want to proc paralyze effects on your enemy. Costly, but it works to the same ends a BLM or RDM would use them for.

NIN Roll is decent, but it can only help so much

Yeah, sword over anything else. No staff skill. I have a Joyeuse, which would probably make a RDM sub all the more better considering I now have a Hollow Earring.

When to start? Well, hard to say having started this out at 75, but based off of RDM, DRG and BST solo experience, I wouldn't go without access to Cure III/Wild Carrot, Phalnax, Stoneskin, Blink, Regen, Evoker's Roll and Gallant's Roll. So I'd say maybe within the mid-40s? That's around when you'd have the majority of those things, though Gallant's is 55.

Again, so far I've only been going for small stuff like lesser Colibri, Spiders and Crabs. But the fact I'm getting steady parry skillups and farming seals is a huge boost from what I could do on COR before. At the very least, I don't have to pick on Too Weak for farming anymore and that's a step forward in itself.
        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 09-05-2007, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Ah ok, well, then I'm prolly well on my way. At 63, I'll have access to most all that and then some, so I'll give it a shot sometime. I'll have to get used to not having my Lumiere or Head Butt to fall back on, but it'll be a new style of play to get use to and explore, so it'll be fun.

Comment

Stepped up my efforts today, but still going with WHM since I transferred to Odin and I'm adjusting to the changes and forming new connections on that server, So i've not had time to finish BLU, maybe next week.

Did Ul'Hpemdes and soloed them as well, if not better, than my RNG could. I managed a Gallant's for 11 and got tagged for 250-ish and reflected 150-ish damage.

Aerns were an iffy choice given you can't see thier jobs until you aggro them. I'd avoid the BLM and THF ones due to Disseverment. Its not pretty. But other Aerns seem doable with a its a reasonable killspeed.

Phuabos and Xomits I didn't get around to, pretty sure we can take a Xomit, but Phuabos seem like party mobs for us still.

After seeing Creepercorsair on Alla (insanely) tried to solo a Sea Puks as /RNG, I tried it as /WHM, I didn't prepare well the first time, so I died.

Round 2 Blink, SS were put up at the start this time. Took five minutes, but I came out on top.

Round 3 with BLU and happened to pull a rare VT puk.

Used Evoker's and Gallants again, reapplying Metallic Body and Cocoon where I could. It was a much safer solo, but I'd suggest setting Sheep Song and Healing Breeze for Auto Regen. Got lucky #s or 11 on each roll with this one, too.

Its certainly not a "solo for worthwhile EXP" kind of soloing, but we've gained a fair bit of endurance, which is crucial for soloing well in the first place. And mage subs are requisite to make it happen at all.

I think /RDM could edge out /WHM and /BLU almost completely for soloing, but I'd still consider WHM for status mobs above all else.

Comment

Just to update, I was out trying to get Pankration soul plates on COR mobs and had to pull a MNK-type Eraphmaudian Shade near the Ashu Talif at Arrapoggo Reef, he didn't hit all the hard, sleeps were consistent on him and the parry skillups were amazing on them. Got a .3 and .5 skill-up on the first try.

MNKs have always been best for skillups but the weaker ones make this tedious, I'd definately recommend shade MNKs for skillups wherever you can find them. Fei'yin would be another spot.

Comment

Cool I'll have to try them when I finally get my ass COR's 3WSNM's see if i can get some parry up's while i do them.

Comment

I should make an additional note about Aerns - just find a group for them. I've found Light Shot to be 66% resisted without light staff and 75% with... and why would we solo with a light staff on? Its a fun gamble but ultimately not worth the risk.

Hpemdes are about it for us there, but if you need Sea Gorget/Obis and want to get one part done solo, that Ul'Hpemdes are OK to do, I've not tried Om'Hpemdes yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X