Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing something or the first gun for COR is really level 15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something or the first gun for COR is really level 15?

Is there something else we can use while we're below 15? A Slingshot ?

Re: Am I missing something or the first gun for COR is really level 15?

Toss a pebble maybe?

That's not a mistake. Bandit's Gun at 15. But we don't even get bullets that are worth a damn until lv22. Before that we get Bronze Bullets with a DMG of 3 (?) or something terrible.

That's why the first 10-12 levels playing solo are so slow. You're out there whacking away with a sword, with a freaking tiny exp bonus and an evasion boost up. And you're 2hr isn't getting you out of a jam at those levels either.

But the lack of a gun isn't terrible once you're in a party.

Comment

Just to add, this is another why I do emphasize taking up RNG before COR, COR will gain nothing in the way of marksmanship skillups until 15 and its still not worth shooting until 22.

It does stink the first gun is level 15 and the bullets choices suck at that level, I wish SE would do something about it, but I also think it was by design to nudge you to look at RNG to start with, so it wouldn't surprise me if SE never changes this part of the job.

Comment

I was lucky in the fact that I took my Thief out to Qufim Island before TAU and leveled Marksmanship. What I should have done was just level Ranger then, but I didn't think of that at the time (we all miss the obvious at some point or another).

Yup, until 15, it's pretty rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
          Just to add, this is another why I do emphasize taking up RNG before COR, COR will gain nothing in the way of marksmanship skillups until 15 and its still not worth shooting until 22.
          It does stink the first gun is level 15 and the bullets choices suck at that level, I wish SE would do something about it, but I also think it was by design to nudge you to look at RNG to start with, so it wouldn't surprise me if SE never changes this part of the job.
          I think it was by design to not throw the full complexity of the job at you from level 10. From 1-4 you just hit things with swords, then 5-10ish you hit things with swords while keeping rolls on yourself, then 10-14 you put rolls on your party and hit things with swords, then at 15 you start pulling and rolling but it's still not really worth it to stand back and shoot full time, etc.

You could pull before 15, with throwing weapons or something, but I bet most players won't and it's not what SE expected or intended. You could also do a lot of shooting at 15 but it's not very effective even if your marksmanship is precapped - better to pull, roll and hit things with swords - and by the time you have bullets that *do* make it effective to stand back and shoot, you probably already have some pulling experience. (Since I did some marksmanship pulling with WAR and THF, I can't comment on skilling up from 0 as COR. But you can always take a time out to level RNG when you're COR20 or so - /RNG won't do all that much good before then anyway - and it doesn't matter that much if you miss with the bronze bullet you're using for pulling in the dunes.)
          Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
          RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
          All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Yes, Corsair's first gun is at level 15. Who knows though, it just might change in the future if we suggest it.

Comment

I don't think it's going to change, and there isn't a huge need for it to. Even if you had a pre-15 gun, you'd only have access to one racc piece(Feathered Collar +1) and crappy bullets. And as OWBK stated, it's a very good idea to level RNG beforehand anyways, both so you have a very good subjob ready to go beforehand, and so you can cap out your MM skill for at least the first 38-39 levels of COR for much cheaper by using xbow, instead of trying to cap it out by spamming expensive bullets. You're going to want to have RNG for a sub anyways, even if you prefer /WHM or even /BRD, there's times when you'll really want to have /RNG ready to go if you need it.
              Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

A bit of a necro but...whatever. I'm starting Corsair and this is something that is bothering me. I think the strongest argument for allowing us to get a gun at level 1 is the fact that Corsair is the only job that can't use its artifact weapon type at level 1. Every other job can.

I got a little criticism in the dunes when the players noticed I didn't have a gun. "Cors are supposed to use guns. I wonder why you aren't." I can only imagine the thoughts that were going through their heads as they all examined me and saw that I did not have a gun, the signature weapon of a Corsair, until I explained that they don't get a gun until level 15 and don't get good with it until 22. It's just disappointing if you ask me. If you're not going to give us a level 1 gun then at least let us copper bullets; or both, preferably both.

Comment

S-E should add a Lv.1 weapon (Peashooter) and Lv.1 ammo (Frozen Peas) for COR. Totally.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Pay retarded amounts of gil for a 3 DMG bullet.

OR

Wait til 22 for a 46 DMG bullet that does good damage and can be purchased off NPCs.

If you want to skill up marksmanship before then, here's a hint:

Level RNG. Its a great sub for COR and remedies the lack of being able to skill up before 22 on COR.

EDIT: I misread, people seem here seem to understand this. But the rant still stands for anyone that complains in the future
                    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-06-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                      S-E should add a Lv.1 weapon (Peashooter) and Lv.1 ammo (Frozen Peas) for COR. Totally.
                      Well, they are adding a Grilled Cheese Sandwich...
                      Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
                      How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

oh I hated that part about COR lol, It was so tough taking up cor to lvl 22, what I dont get is we get a lvl 15 gun yet we can use lvl 1 bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
                          I got a little criticism in the dunes when the players noticed I didn't have a gun. "Cors are supposed to use guns.
                          That's a sign that you're partying with idiots. When people are demanding more out of you than is possible within the game from any player, that's generally a good time to leave.

Anyway, I was always under the impression that guns weren't available until 15 to keep stupid RNG from ignoring their bows. While it wouldn't kill SE to add lower level guns, you're through that time in a week at the longest, so it's not really a huge concern.

Comment

If a party asks you to pull before level 22, just use Darts; they're cheap and available starting at level 7.

And do what the other people here suggested and level RNG to at least 20 before you continue with COR; having Marksmanship already capped when your COR hits 22 will help you a ton.

Comment

You could juse use /WHM up through 75 and play it like BRD, and that way you don't even need to worry about buying a gun or leveling Marksmanship, and you get a free gun at 40 anyways that will be fine for the long haul.

I keed, I keed! >.>
                              Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Working...
                              X