Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New player/character with corsair as 1st main job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player/character with corsair as 1st main job?

Hi, i was wondering, is it even possible for new returning player who lost his old account starting anew (from beginning after first job reach 30) to play corsair at all from beginning ?

I am trying to be efficient and starting the first Main job as whm since i read it is quite useful for missions.

As i level progress through corsair, it is possible i stick with /whm and be supportive until 60+ (where the real cash come in and able to start level rng/nin/war as sub).

I also know that bullets will be expansive, as supportive class, is it possible rely mainly on sword or swords and shoot only once or twice per fight? (to save money, poor beginner to consider).
    -add later-

Re: New player/character with corsair as 1st main job?

i think u can do whatever u want
    but if u dont spent on bullets u'll never get ur marksmanship cap and will always be a "buffer" as a COR i think

Comment

Personally I wouldn't recommend corsair as a first main job - it can get expensive with bullets, cards, die etc.

I'm sure Kitten can tell you more about subs, but I don't see cor/whm much except for endgame activities - I believe /rng and /nin are more useful overall.

Cor may be useful for missions, but there are other jobs which are just as useful, and probably cheaper in the long run.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

>_< You really shouldn't play COR unless you can support the bullet and card habits.

COR/WHM can (not that it should try to) take the mobs from tanks when using Slugshot and sushi, but not if its Marksmanship is lagging badly.

Edit:
        Personally, I like having the COR/WHM combination in party. However, I only see JP players use that, besides the one COR in my LS. It is a good combination, but most non-JP players seem to prefer COR/RNG and COR/NIN instead.
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Because i already played through a 75 brd and 65 whm already on my old account, i felt if i have to start a new account corsair should be good. I know it is quite expensive (just looking at rangers), but i should be fine as a supportive to 60 (assuming i could farm lower level for money by then) to level marksman. (and i am happy being supportive).

Is there anyway to make bullet cheaper ? Smith ? I would appreciate and thankful to if anyone could give me some advice to how to earn cheap bullets and cards.

edit: How many stacks approx will i burn assuming i only shoot once or twice per fight (just to show off while keep being supportive)
          Last edited by wrongfeifong; 05-16-2007, 02:26 AM.
          -add later-

Comment

you'll want to shoot more than once or twice a fight once you realize that COR has the potential to do some pretty decent damage. if you dont, you wont have anything to do since rolls last for 5min each.

you can buy bullets (the lv. 22 ones) from an npc in bastok. for iron bullets, your best bet is to find a crafter that can HQ them if you give them the materials.

in all honestly, trying to save gil on a job that uses lots of gil will cause you more harm than the good its doing to your pocket.
            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by wrongfeifong View Post
              Hi, i was wondering, is it even possible for new returning player who lost his old account starting anew (from beginning after first job reach 30) to play corsair at all from beginning ?

I am trying to be efficient and starting the first Main job as whm since i read it is quite useful for missions.

As i level progress through corsair, it is possible i stick with /whm and be supportive until 60+ (where the real cash come in and able to start level rng/nin/war as sub).

I also know that bullets will be expansive, as supportive class, is it possible rely mainly on sword or swords and shoot only once or twice per fight? (to save money, poor beginner to consider).
              /WHM is not commonly expected of COR save for within the JP side of the community and even they are finally getting around to the idea of subbing /RNG as the better EXP subjob.

COR/WHM is fine 1-30. /RNG wouldn't have its first Accuracy Bonus trait available until level 20, but it really isn't felt until you have the Noct armor set and archer's knives at 28/30 and some other accuracy and /RNG latent gear to go with it. So COR/WHM to 30 is fine.

But going without /RNG and /NIN past that point are cutting off some great options for you. NIN is a highly situational subjob, but it has its place in BCNM, Missions and high level burn PT pulling later on. /RNG is the dedicated damage-dealing subjob and really helps COR put their guns to thier best use.

Peeling off a bullet or two per fight and meleeing only is going to make you look poor, too. The gun is COR's main source for TP. Sword and knife TP alone won't give you the TP returns your gun would. If you can't afford to shoot the bullets and cards, there's really no point to levelling the job at all.

I would say, at the very least, to work on the /RNG sub as soon as you could. People overreact to RNG and think the job is expensive to level as a subjob. Its actually quite cheap to level as a subjob, its past 50 where RNG gets really expensive. I doubt anyone would spend more than 300k levelling it as a subjob these days.

I'm like you that I was originally BRD on another character, but I didn't finish WHM sub until recently. I honestly think it would be better to follow this path:

MNK to 18
              WAR to 30-37
              Unlock RNG, NIN, COR.

And then worry about WHM at a later date. But if you still want to do WHM first, again, COR/WHM to 30 is fine, but beyond that point, COR/WHM is rather lacking til the highest levels.

Comment

Actually i am thinking how about sub theif?

I haven't really played theif before so i can't tell. but by 30 i could use SA at least and 60 for SATA. The rating for dagger theif is A- while B+ for corsair. While it is the least expensive way to level off, would it work? (i know it is bad to level off an expensive class poorly but there isn't much option for me since this is only class appeal to me).

While i also want to know for real, how is the DD compare to other classes (how exactly do most corsair fight?) . i know that by /rng you only gain 2 accurency bonus while corsair's skill is still a B in marksman, the dd might still only be decent while come nothing close to what a rng could do with a gun (they have more bullets type too right?).

While money wise, as long i could reach 60, the last part won't be harder since farming should be easier. (would it?)
                Last edited by wrongfeifong; 05-16-2007, 10:11 AM.
                -add later-

Comment

... no.

/thf does nothing for you. having that long to use it on dagger is kind of pointless. really, as a corsair use your gun. it's the best source of damage you can get.

cor does decent dmg. especially once you get slugshot, it puts out nice numbers. nothing to scoff at. remember that you're there to buff/debuff first. dd next.

i would say take your time to make gil so you can play corsair properly. using daggers and /thf is not the most proper way to play corsair to maximize everything.
                  Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                  ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

COR doesn't get in much direct melee action, they're indirect melee like RNG most of the time, direct melee doesn't really come until much, much later for COR. So /THF is wasted on a job that mainly deals in ranged attacks.

You're looking for ways around the cost of the job and that's usually the #1 sign a job like this isn't for you. You can't be a Ninja without using Shehei, you can't be a Ranger or Corsair without using ammunition.

It should be mentioned that you shouldn't even bother with COR guns until 22, the bronze bullets you get prior to that level just aren't worth the expense for the damage they give. So instead, you'll have to turn to RNG's Xbow and bolts to cover your early marksmanship skills. Meaning: level Ranger.

At level 22 you can start buying bullets for 9-10k per stack of 99 at NPCs in Bastok and Rabao. At level 50 is where iron bullets become available via crafters and that's where the real expenses for COR begin to mount. Iron Bullets are level 24 smithing and 45 Alchemy to start making them at NQ rates.

Additionally at level 40 you start picking up cards for Quick Draw, which can run you 3k per stack of 99. Its actually cheaper to get these via NPC than craft them.

COR is like RNG and NIN, its a job you have to really prepare for if you mean to play it seriously.

Will people still invite you to PT if you go on the cheap? Sure, they'd invite a monkey if it can refresh and dispel, we already have BRD and RDM monkeys willing to fill that bare minimum for an invite. If you took pride in your BRD, do the same for COR and prepare it for its best potentials.

As far as DD goes, we dd very well, very good damage at low levels and respectable at high levels. Its not close to what a RNG can do, but getting it is still impressive.
                    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 05-16-2007, 10:40 AM.

Comment

i think corsair will be great, it was something i was really looking forward. Only 2 classes interest me because i already had other classes leveled before my old account got deleted.

I still have more question i would love to get an answer off before i start this off.

1. Is corsair Roll like brd's song? There is a limited radius AOE range for the buff to land or corsair roll is only limit to 2 at a time? (i mean if it is like brd, giving 2 roll on melee and 2 roll on caster)

2. Since corsair use gun and gun's delay are 600 (twice of bow), how many shoot you usually get off anyway ? and how comparable is the dmg to bow overall ? (i never use a gun)

3. Would a fight consist of using maybe 1-2 shot + card (i heard cards are cheaper) instead ? How many cards you use per fight if any ? (what would be your routine when teaming for exp?
                      Last edited by wrongfeifong; 05-17-2007, 08:08 PM.
                      -add later-

Comment

Originally posted by wrongfeifong View Post
                        1. Is corsair Roll like brd's song? There is a limited radius AOE range for the buff to land or corsair roll is only limit to 2 at a time? (i mean if it is like brd, giving 2 roll on melee and 2 roll on caster)
                        Yes, but you can't override Phantom Rolls like BRD's can override songs--not until S-E gives COR Group 2 merits, anyway, and even that would be limited to Lv.75's.

The effectiveness of each Phantom Roll is dependent on the number you "roll" (like dice), as well as what jobs are in your party. You can adjust the number with "Doube Up", though, which increases it 1-6 (I think).

You can "Bust" when Double Up adds too much to the rolls. Which is bad--no buff.

See FFXIClopedia's Corsair entry for more details.
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Yes, its AoE with a flute-ish range akin to BRD, however, buffs cannot be spammed and overwritten as with BRD. Instead you must rotate buffs by cycling a new buff in if you wish to reapply other buffs.

So if I have Evoker's Roll and Healer's Roll up and wish to re-roll Evokers, I must first roll a new buff. But ideally, you'll be doing four buffs (2 on melee, to on mages), but you get the idea.

2. Since corsair use gun and gun's delay are 600 (twice of bow), how many shoot you usually get off anyway ? and how comparable is the dmg to bow overall ? (i never use a gun)
                          COR's exclusive guns are actually 480 delay, which is moderate delay for most ranged weapons. The damage is comprable to RNG is capable of 1-49, but once iron bullets come into play, that's about as good as it gets for COR on ammo and RNG leaves them in the dust when it comes to damage, though COR still puts up respectable numbers . COR gets some really good guns late in the game such as Coffinmaker, Peacemaker and Martial Gun. Peacemaker is the lowest delay gun in the game.

3. Would a fight consist of using maybe 1-2 shot + card (i heard cards are cheaper) instead ? How many cards you use per fight if any ? (what would be your routine when teaming for exp?
                          Cards are used with Quick Draw, which has a one-minute recast timer. so you've got time for plenty of shots between using them and buffing as well. One or two cards per fight tops, usually.

COR usually only gets in 1-2 buffs a fight, since Phantom Roll is also on a one minute timer. So you have a bit more time for ranged melee here, but you still want to think of your buff rotation much like you would a BRD. You should have enough time in a fight to lay down 1-2 buffs and get 100 TP with your gun most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X