Subs for Blue Mage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subs for Blue Mage?

Now that my Drg has hit lvl 75 and I'm starting to get in merits, I'm thinking about taking Blue Mage up as my next job to lvl 75, seems like a good multi functional job.

My question though is this:

I've always heard that *most* times you want to go blu/thf so that you can CASA your physical spells when you hit 100% TP, and that this will be more powerfull than your standard WS. Plus you can toss around CASATA once you hit lvl 60 which sounds pretty sweet IMO.

However I've been doing some reading and I've been seeing that some people prefer blu/nin, although this seems to be primarily in the meriting areas. However I will say that I see alot of lower level blu/nin running around in the 40s-60s.

So my question is, when would you want to consider blu/nin in exp parties? What about merit parties?

And also, this will be my first one hander job that I really level, so expect a bunch of gear/weapon/food questions in the near future (even though I think I know what I wanna do, still want to ask and bounce ideas around though)

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Subs for Blue Mage?

Between Lv.30 to Lv.59, BLU/THF easily can get you in trouble without a strong tank. Using /NIN for damage mitigation really isn't that bad of an idea. Not many people realize this, but at least up to Lv.40 BLU/WHM with self-control can do great damage and not take too much damage in return thanks to Cocoon, and be able to help out with status cures.

After Lv.60, it's probably a nightmare to coordinate SATA. If using SA and TA separately, not sure if Blue Mage has strong enough of spell before Frenetic Rip (Lv.63) for TA use. Post Lv.60, I've seen exactly one BLU/THF who managed use /THF correctly in a PUG. Mostly, BLUs use /NIN.

You'll also need /NIN for learning spells at some point. Probably should be ready to break out that /WHM and play healer at any level, though it shouldn't be too often you'd have to do that.

BLU/THF is the ideal. BLU/NIN is for survival and spell gathering. BLU/WHM is for those desperate for experience points or the odd balls like me who don't mind playing healer.
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

After level 30, I really like BLU/THF; its mp : dmg ratio is nice. For some spells, it is not necessary to wait for 100 TP then stack with CA. You can just CA + spell whenever the CA timer ready, TP is decent, and hate control is okay. There are also some one-hit spell that is impressive with SA alone.

Before level 30 I prefer BLU/WHM.

For BLU/NIN, some BLU like it, I don't I guess it depends on you play style. How much time would you spend on casting? How much time for swing the sword?
      Last edited by Celeal; 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

What I'm thinking, and this may change as I get more experience with the job (currently lvl 15ish) is that with Blu/Thf that I will not use CASA until the mob is close to being killed, at which point I'll probably do something like Headbutt > CASA bigass spell > Headbutt and time it so that the mob is dead about... now The initial Headbutt is in the hopes that the stun effect lasts for about 3-4 seconds like I've seen a decent number of them do.

I'm actually kinda excited about Blu/whm, I've seen some really good blu/whm at lvl 75. Toss in Blue Mage healing spells, Diamondhide, and subbed whm, and it's a totally kickass combo. Plus I like the healing, /shrug

You'll also need /NIN for learning spells at some point.
        Now is that while solo or in a party? I'm toying with the idea of hitting alot of Besieged for learning such moves as Fire Spit, Warmup, Diamondhide, etc. There are also Assaults that I could potentially learn those moves in. A goodly amount of the other high level spells I was thinking that I would have to get a party (I have some LS mates I could ask for help) I really don't see how I can learn Voracious Trunk solo

And since Celeal brought up my next line of questions, are there any particular spells that I should consider just using CA+spell rather than CASA+spell? Or spells that I should consider using SA+spell or just the spell itself?

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
          And since Celeal brought up my next line of questions, are there any particular spells that I should consider just using CA+spell rather than CASA+spell? Or spells that I should consider using SA+spell or just the spell itself?
          Usually I prefer CA + TP for multi-hit spell, like CA + TP + Jet Stream, and SA for one hit spell like SA + Mandibular Bite
          Server: Quetzalcoatl
          Race: Hume Rank 7
          75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

What I suggest; have all subs leveled, BLU isn't A job it's EVERY job. The point to be a BLU is being versatile, adapting to your situations, etc. Make it what you want it.

Tank.

DD.

Healer.

Kiter.

DoTer.

Enfeeber.

Or do it all at once.

What ever floats your boat.
            In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
            And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
            Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
            Yeah, It’s true.
            It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
              BLU/THF is the ideal. BLU/NIN is for survival and spell gathering. BLU/WHM is for those desperate for experience points or the odd balls like me who don't mind playing healer.
              Given BLU's support capability, there's nothing strange or desparate about playing a healer BLU, its just means you're the most responsible BLU of the pack and adapt to the situation the PT needs - kind of like a certain reddish colored mage should do.

Its just the blue one has better sword skill.

I really don't know why adapting to party needs is such a difficult concept to grasp for people, I often feel embarassed if I can't offer my PT any role my job could provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                For BLU/NIN, some BLU like it, I don't I guess it depends on you play style. How much time would you spend on casting How much time for swing the sword?
                Dual wield is nice, but BLU/NIN pre-merit levels is for players who really like to spam DD spells while using Utsusemi for damage mitigation, while BLU/THF is for people who like to cast DD spells with better efficiency and bigger spike damage.

BLU/WHM has strong potentials and great flexibility, but BLUs rarely get invited as main healer. Not that it's shabby at DD'ing at all; just takes self control not to become an MP sponge, and yet doesn't give those satisfying damage spikes like /THF.

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                I'm actually kinda excited about Blu/whm, I've seen some really good blu/whm at lvl 75. Toss in Blue Mage healing spells, Diamondhide, and subbed whm, and it's a totally kickass combo. Plus I like the healing, /shrug
                That's a great attitude. I really hate those BLUs who refuse to help out with curing even when the main healer is running dry.

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                Tank.
                I did a lot of BLU/WAR tanking up to BLU40 (where I'm at now). Compared to my previous tanking experience (PLD70 and NIN41), it's harder to stay alive than PLD, but easier to maintain enmity than NIN.

Overall, it's less satisfactory experience than either PLD or NIN tanking; it feels like a less and less capable tank after Lv.30, while PLD and NIN become stronger and stronger. While a BLU tank isn't horrible, a party is usually better off getting a PLD or NIN instead.

BLU is better played as a flexible job covering DD'ing, curing, and some support role duties, IMO.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Here's something I've been toying with as of late, and this in the context of Campaign, mind you, but it's proven to be rather sturdy: BLU/PLD. It's an extremely defensive combo that still retains its ability to push out the damage, and with the proper spell backup (i.e stuff like Reactor Cool, Cocoon, the Protect line, etc), makes a great off-tank in case things get a little out of hand or you happen to be soloing for spells (one of the many great things I love about BLU). Another defensive combo people don't think about is also BLU/WAR. Both of those combos are also walking walls of death in Ballista.

About level 30 on, I experimented with BLU/DRG, taking advantage of the level 30 /DRG equipment to supplement my performance. The earring and shield gave a nice (and noticeable) 6% total Haste boost, and the cape adds a considerable Attack boost in a slot you normally don't get anything good in for at least another 15 levels or so. The addition of Jump lets you get some additional TP, as well as does a good bit of damage on its own (BLU has decent VIT of its own, as well as you can easily put some +VIT spells in).

The vast majority of my leveling pre 40-50 came about as a result of soloing my spells for all those levels. BLU/WHM was the combo of choice for the longest time, as none of the mobs I chose to go after were any real danger, nor did they cause enough damage to warrant /NIN (whereas I could easily and efficiently wipe it away with /WHM and BLU cures). I only had one party in that entire time, and that was at about 11-12. I literally was capable of soloing XP faster than parties, so I simply did. Again, as I said, it wasn't until the late 40s-early 50s where I felt it was nessesary to go /NIN, and probably a bit later than that that I felt the need to party for XP efficiency and safety reasons.

Once I started partying, I stayed /NIN until 60, mainly because a BLU in those levels can easily cause a lot of damage, screwing with hate (and this *is* with being mindful of your output, too). After 60, I put /THF into full use, and found it to really boost my damage overall, increasing mp efficiency. It also helped that I equipped Auto Refresh and Conserve MP as soon as I possibly could. You'll notice you'll equip less spells that way, but I noticed that in a party situation, you also use less spells anyways, so there's no real loss in performance. No need to spam spells and waste mp every fight just to seem useful; one or two well-placed spells can assist the party way more than any string of spam ever could at times.

While I haven't given /BLM a try, you might find it very helpful a sub if you're interested in trying to go the magical Nuke BLU path. However, I'd recommend that for the much later levels (60-75), as magical BLU spells are horribly expensive to cast (high mp costs coupled with a small mp pool is BAAAAAD!), and often have high resist rates unless you gear specifically for those spells. /BLM, with the Magic Attack Bonus and Conserve MP traits, and abilities like Elemental Seal can help alleviate some of those problems. You certainly won't be a frontline fighter anymore in that setup, but your backline performance should be respectable. Good luck finding a party that'll let you do that, however (come prepared to swap to frontline melee if you try to sneak in as a "mage" in the beginning).

Other subs I haven't seen much of a need for, since BLU is pretty capable of self-sustainment within its own spell list. Other subs that I haven't mentioned don't really give a lot that BLU couldn't do better on its own, so they kinda add nothing to the mix. Pre-50, /DRG is pretty much the de facto best sub if you just want to be a straight attacker, due to the gear at 30 giving large boosts to attack speed and power, as well as native Attack Bonus and Jump for extra damage. /WHM for the best overall healing abilities, /PLD and /WAR for a good mix of defense and offense, and /BLM for arcane strength. /RDM may be a good alternative to both /WHM and /BLM, if you have that leveled, and could open new doors. /THF is great for focusing on boosting one or two particular physical spells.

Also, of honorable mention, is /BST. Apparently, the whole Charm at level 75 thing is consistent enough that BLU/BST can keep pets at a reasonable enough rate to make the combo viable, making it easier to learn spells (sometimes two at a time, depending on choice of pets), and keeping the BLU safer. Unless you don't have BST at 75 already (and I don't think Vy does, IIRC), you might wanna give that a try to.
                  Last edited by LilithAngel; 01-30-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, every time a BLU doesn't equip Head Butt, God starts Armageddon. Please, think of humanity...

Comment

WAR, DNC, THF, NIN, WHM, SCH, BLM... BLU can take advantage of most jobs really as a sub for a lot of different situations.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Also, I'd say that rdm is a really good sub for campaign. The enspells are absolutely amazing for doing a bit of extra dmg as well as the self buffs and gravity. Fast cast also rocks for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy View Post
                        What I suggest; have all subs leveled, BLU isn't A job it's EVERY job. The point to be a BLU is being versatile, adapting to your situations, etc. Make it what you want it.

Tank.

DD.

Healer.

Kiter.

DoTer.

Enfeeber.

Or do it all at once.

What ever floats your boat.
                        I Thanked you just so I could remove it.

Because it's true.
                        Originally posted by Armando
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        Originally posted by Taskmage
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

I'm currently leveling BLU, YM. It's super fun. You should try it!

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                            I'm currently leveling BLU, YM. It's super fun. You should try it!
                            Your re-earned title of Schadenfreude was well re-earned.
                            Last edited by Yellow Mage; 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM. Reason: I'm leveling Paladin right now, anyway.
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

I'm always happy at your misfortune, YM.

Leveling Paladin is for people who like Paladin!
                              Last edited by Murphie; 03-27-2008, 09:07 PM. Reason: I am also leveling Paladin!

Comment

Working...
                              X