This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AF Armor = Useless for Tarus?

I was just looking ahead recently on BLM AF armor, and it seems a tad useless for Tarutaru's. o.o Most of it is +MP, and being a Tarutaru myself, I've never ever ran into an MP problem. Wouldn't just holding onto Seer's or some other INT based set just be so much better until end-game equipment aka Black/Demon Cloak?

Just looking for your thoughts.
    Yes, The Person in my Avatar is Me.
    --
    Hi. :]
    My Name is Tiffany.
    [Tarutaru] [Power] ! [Backhand Blow] [job] [Please Assist!]

Re: AF Armor = Useless for Tarus?

Dear god, no. Unless FFXI has been flooded with awesome lv50ish mage armor that goes for 10k a pop, BLM AF is very good for tarus, unless you're a millionaire.

The only one which is useless is the feet, and there's not really anything better for that slot.

Feet: Spell interruption down, enmity down, mp boost.
    Legs: Dark magic skill up, enmity down, mp boost.
    Body: Enfeebling magic boost, enmity down, mp boost.
    Hands: Elemental Magic boost (and an awesome one at that), enmity down, mp boost
    head: Good INT bonus, large enmity down, another mp boost.

Really, I don't care if you are a taru, that much -enmity and that much spellcasting bonus is too good for ANYONE to call it useless. Honestly, even if you can find better pieces for casting, you're still going to macro those in for some things.

Comment

Given that a bit of the gear adds +15 skill bonues to Elemental, Dark and Enfeebling magic, I'm very much inclined to disagree the set is entirely useless. At the very least, you can macro these armor pieces in and out when a spell type comes in to play until better stuff comes along.

And just because Tarus have a lot of MP to start with doesn't mean more is bad.

I usually feel such questions are posed to avoid doing the AF quests entirely so the player can just keep on levelling up. AF quests offer you lore about your job and the armor itself is a nod to the armor worn by the classes in the classic Final Fantasy (I, II and V most notably).

Its part of what makes the game special, I wouldn't pass it up.

Comment

You are not required to use AF. If you don't like it, then don't.

However, there is more to the BLM AF then just MP+:
        Wizard's Sabots: Spell Interuption Rate Down 20% Enmity -1
        Wizard's Gloves: Elemental Magic Skill +15 Enmity -1
        Wizard's Tonban: Evasion +5 Dark Magic Skill +15 Enmity -1
        Wizard's Coat: Enfeebling Magic Skill +10 Enmity -3
        Wizard's Petasos: INT +4 Enmity -4

Thats dropping the MP and things lit VIT and CHR. By this point you shouldn't have to be told why each of those is useful. You're comparing a set that adds just INT to the above. Personally, I think the BLM AF is one of the more useful sets in the game.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

the armor worn by the classes in the classic Final Fantasy (I, II and V most notably).
          Makes me wonder how they came up with PUP.

Comment

I'm not avoiding doing the quest at all. I've only played this character for a week, and she's already almost 40. Heh. I'm not worried about leveling, I just had it in my head that +INT over weighed the stats of Elemental +#. Now more of less, I just feel flamed. But regardless, thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.
            --
            My Name is Tiffany.

Comment

......Just got the character a week ago?

If you bought the account, shame on you. Honestly. Please leave and do not come back.

If you got the account from a friend, make a new character. Honestly. Trying to learn FFXI any way but the ground up is like going to a derby to learn how to drive a car.

Comment

Excuse me? I'm being accused of buying the account from another just because I play a lot and level quickly? I'm sorry that there's been a PL in every single party i've been in. :/ I played on a different server but recently made a character on a new server to play with friends. Wow, thanks a lot.
                --
                My Name is Tiffany.

Comment

Then stop being gimp. There is no way to level a character to 40 the first time around in under a week without buying gil, or gimping yourself horribly.

Comment

I stopped leveling BLM recently to catch up on WHM, but I'm done trying to defend myself. Thanks a whole heck of a lot for being so kind. :/ I'm sorry for even asking a question.
                    --
                    My Name is Tiffany.

Comment

Nah, he didn't acuse you of buying your account because you level fast, is just the "I've only played this character for a week..." part that could be missunderstood.

But if you have the time to level up fast then that's really nice.

And yeah at that level there isn't much out there in terms of stats that would outweight BLM AF. Even if you can boost your damage output, without the -emnity you might have hate troubles if your nukes are "too effective".

I guess you'll have to try out different combinations of gear to find the right mix between firepower/emnity/others acording to your playstyle.

Edit > Hey Feba, I've seen people level that fast before (with the help of friends) so unless you have proof of gilbuying you should drop that part.
                      Last edited by Raydeus; 04-12-2007, 06:31 AM.
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                        ......Just got the character a week ago?

If you bought the account, shame on you. Honestly. Please leave and do not come back.

If you got the account from a friend, make a new character. Honestly. Trying to learn FFXI any way but the ground up is like going to a derby to learn how to drive a car.
                        Chill out feba maybe she's a hardcore gamer and plays 24/7 you don't know she bought the account you're just assuming so. you don't know anything. who made you all knowing?? Did you look in her room at nite? You're a peeping tom. shame on you.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                          Nah, he didn't acuse you of buying your account because you level fast, is just the "I've only played this character for a week..." part that could be missunderstood.

But if you have the time to level up fast then that really nice.

And yeah at that level there isn't much out there in terms of stats that would outweight BLM AF. Even if you can boost your damage output, without the -emnity you might have hate troubles if your nukes are "too effective".

I guess you'll have to try out different combinations of gear to find the right mix between firepower/emnity/others acording to your playstyle.

Edit > Hey Feba, I've seen people level that fast before (with the help of friends) so unless you have proof of gilbuying you should drop that part.
                          to your edit...i think where he's coming from is that she's doing something he could not and he feels a lil offended and the only thing he could rely on was what every jealous player does... the "they bought gil" excuse which is farfetched and not confirmed so it is a totally and utterly stupid to post.
                          Last edited by Malevolent; 04-12-2007, 06:46 AM.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            Then stop being gimp. There is no way to level a character to 40 the first time around in under a week without buying gil, or gimping yourself horribly.
                            I don't see how you can make a blanket statement like that. Depending on the amount of time that the player has to put into the game, it can be feasible to level that quickly.

Scrolls and armor up to 40 is not that horribly priced in the current market on FFXI, and could be bought with a minimal amount of effort of farming. And perhaps, as the OP stated, the OP has friends that play that are willing to help her out with some early financing of gear and what not.

The OP may not have the best equipment available at this point, but that does not neccesarily mean they are gimp. Perhaps no HQ, but for most cases the NQ at the current level is satisfactory. And according to thier profile there sub is leveled.

I leveled to almost 50 within two weeks of playing the game. Bought it when I had vacation time saved up, and just played FFXI a lot for that time period.

I don't believe this is a way to welcome new players to the forum. If you are going to call them gimp, at least make sure they are gimp first. For all I know they run around in level 1 RSE equipment, but until they state that I don't think it's fair to call them gimp.

Comment

you're just assuming so.
                              No, i'm not. Read more than the first two sentences in a post- in fact, that's why I put this at the front, to make sure you'd see it.

To Raydeus, I suppose it's possible to with friends, but that's not really any better than gilbuying, and you're still gimping yourself. There is NO WAY to level your first character in FFXI to 40 without gimping yourself, either through skills, armor, or skill in general.

Otherwise, there is no way to get 40 in a week without gimping yourself, as a first time player.

Comment

Working...
                              X