• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satori
    replied
    Re: Is BST useful in End Game?

I've never tried endgame stuff but one thing I will say regarding bst is,

In General the style of play a Bst employs doesnt gel well with groups. Most important battles dont have any source of pets to use.
    There are cases where a Bst can perform exceptionally well. We can kite things effectively given some degree of skill, We can provide fairly decent numbers when geared correctly thing is people forget our pets contribute to our damage so we get looked at as sub par in dd terms. IF we had the strength of a full on dd player and also had a pet out. We'd be seriously overpowered.

If you can take part in Endgame stuff as a bst and contribute well then fair play to you. I would think however speaking as a bst myself that it would be better for you to do endgame with a more suitable job.
    I think no matter what job you choose to do eg stuff with there shouldn't be a problem with obtaining bst drops.

Many people attend dyna etc on jobs they'd rather not consider their main. That's because they are adapting for the good of the team. I imagine you'll be able to get drops for bst regardless of the job you attend as.
    At the end of the day as far as I know Ls's only allocate the points to spend to obtain the gear it is then up to the player to choose which to spend them on.

Leave a comment:

• Balfree
    replied

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
    Where would you do that?

I'm struggling to think of an endgame event where there would be charmable monsters that also aggro, except at the Valley of Sorrows. (Other HNM camps, perhaps? Adamantoise is the only "Can-we-out-claim-bot-LS?!" kind of HNM I've ever done.)

Edit:
    I've seen a BST handling three adds at a time for Rostrum Pumps' NM, and it was quite nifty. Unfortunately, that's just not something doable/useful at most of the endgame events I participate in. (e.g. Limbus, Dynamis, Einherjar, Sky, Salvage, and Assault.)
    eh.. dunno. when i say endgame i mean any activity that i did with my ls at level cap xP

mostly NMs and whenever shit went wrong with agro or links.

Leave a comment:

• Romyro
    replied

I would say Bst is a nice DD filler when the basics are met.
    Like if your LS is bringing the bare minimum needed to limbus/Dynamis, You can throw a Bst in there for a little more security. Jugs have AoEs though…don’t wake up slept mobs.

If the cost of Amigo would go down, they might get a little more love (1000 needles)...but I doubt it. Unfortunately it’s like a ~15k+ Jug that lasts 20 minutes iirc.
    The capped fungar has some good TP moves as well and I’ve seen a dark spore hit in the 800-900s (but that’s rare).

I think I said before that the ‘outside’ of sky is VERY Bst friendly. Flamingos can be brought up to the Gods (byakko takes some planning due to the fallen pillar though). Despot is probably the only solo farming that they can do and a skilled bst can solo despot w/o losing claim (via jugs). Possibly Water farming but that’s pretty tough iirc.

A lot of sky gear is good for Bst.

Osode – Best charm body, best reward body, good melee body
    Haidate – don’t really need to discuss this greatness
    Sun-ate – pretty much the 2nd best reward piece for their slot.
    Heca – Some heca pieces are pretty good for WS.
    Adaman – I think some of these are decent pieces, I don’t have any though.
    Scarecrow/Suzy Scythe - i don’t really use a scythe but some do…not sure how great they are.

Unfortunately…as far as Bst relic gear goes, the 2 pieces you’ll really want are form Beaucedine and Xarcabard. Meaning you basically have to join a shell that actually goes FTW in the 4 cities. Not too tough to find, just time consuming.

Leave a comment:

• Tipsy
    replied

I had a BST in my Sky shell once, he would solo some triggers for us while we were doing other things. Not sure to the extent at which trigs are soloable, but I know he did our Despots.

In the end, level BST (if you want). BST is a lot of fun, and it's nice to get away from having to rely on incompotent people to get things you want. And it's fun in PvP. Level it to 75(80), then join a sky LS, rack up points by soloing triggers, do some decent DD on gods (I doubt anyone would mind, you're a great help when it comes to triggers/links), get yourself a Kirin's osode (Or just save 2mill and buy one, which isn't very hard at all; you're a BST, all drops are yours when soloing, you'll get a ton of Beastmen's seals, and can solo NMs very well; and you can fund a craft very easily with drops), and join a Dyna shell. Relic + God gear is usually the gear BST goes for anyway, the rest is AHable mostly.

Main hand: Juggernaut (+30 attack, +3 STR ,etc)
    Off-hand: Tatami shield (+5? STR)
    Head: Wyvern helm (+5 STR)
    Body: Haub / Kirin's osode

There's a lot you can do to equip DD and put out nice numbers.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Where would you do that?

I'm struggling to think of an endgame event where there would be charmable monsters that also aggro, except at the Valley of Sorrows. (Other HNM camps, perhaps? Adamantoise is the only "Can-we-out-claim-bot-LS?!" kind of HNM I've ever done.)

Edit:
    I've seen a BST handling three adds at a time for Rostrum Pumps' NM, and it was quite nifty. Unfortunately, that's just not something doable/useful at most of the endgame events I participate in. (e.g. Limbus, Dynamis, Einherjar, Sky, Salvage, and Assault.)

Leave a comment:

• Balfree
    replied

My BST end-game experience: crowd control.

You can charm one mob and have it fight another mob, or group of mobs. Once its dead, charm the other ones until everyone of them is dead or the event is over.

Other than that, using your 2h on a nice pet can work very well when fighting NMs.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Hmm. I maintain the lot table for my Dynamis LS. Um.... Currently, only Windurst has anyone main lotting BST.

So, someone interested in BST will complete that relic armor set much faster than just any other job, especially SMN. (Yeah, SMN. I don't know why--that set is more popular than RDM's, except for RDM hat.) That's just my LS, though; YMMV, but most Dynamis groups wouldn't have many people focused on BST. Probably.

I also have a fair amount of influence over applications to my Dynamis LS, and I'd ask DDs (which BST would fall under, for Dynamis) to give me their TP and WS sets. Currently you'd pass the "Itazura's DD test" if you just have a TP set and a WS set, and reasonable stuff are in both--NQ AH gear is just dandy. Which (DD) job people have do not matter to me if they know enough to have a rational TP set and a rational WS set for the job's primary WS. (I know, not a high bar. lol.)

Depending on the LS, some would probably turn you away just because you're a BST-only person, while others may not even care as long as you have a weapon to swing with. If you want higher chances of entering a somewhat picky LS (Dynamis or other events), I suggest you list your WS and TP sets on FFXIAH (www.ffxiah.com), and make them publicly viewable. A lot of endgame leaders are very keen to make sure an applicant knows how to gear (because it shows they understand a lot about the game mechanism), and worry less about that person has the absolutely perfect gear sets.

Don't lie about what gear you have/use, though; it would leave an extremely bad impression which you probably would never recover from.

If you level BRD with BST as your only other option, you'll likely get locked into BRD-only for most group events given the current state of BST. So, don't level BRD if think that may be too depressing to you.

I actually like BRD, and it is heck of whole lot easier to recap exp on BRD than most other jobs to boot, so I don't mind. But, between my jobs--RDM, PLD, SAM, BRD, SCH--I don't seem to get locked into any. I do events with five different LS's, though, and with some of the LS's tend to use some jobs exclusively.

Leave a comment:

• Romyro
    replied

You might get some competition for the Hands and Feet (and possibly the belt) but that’s usually from people who have nothing else to bid on. Some times they are nice and pass it along. The other pieces aren’t really that great. I’m just missing the helm but imo the helm, legs, and body are basically trash.
    Don’t remember leg stats, just remember them being useless
    The body’s use is so rare it’s not even worth carrying it sometimes.
    Helm is decent but I’d rather go with Panther mask (+1)

Hands and feet though…love em.
    The hands help for call beast.
    The feet are by far the best equip for Reward (I’m so close to breaking 800hps per reward ><)

Leave a comment:

• Zoltar
    replied

My old LS had 1 bst in their dynamis runs, but I think he/she only had that job @ 75. Regardless, people go to Dynamis for relic and currency. If you have a brd @ 75, more then likely you'll come brd, but my LS has you pick 3 jobs for dynamis drops, one "1st" job, and two "2nds". Very rarely do people go to dynamis for BST gear, so if you're on a similar system, I suggest you play brd and say you want bst as your main job for drops. I've acquired 3/5 bst relics by getting them free-lotted. You probably won't have much competition w/ it. {luck}

Leave a comment:

• TheGrandMom
    replied

Originally posted by Nuriko View Post
    For Dynamis, they'll WELCOME a pet-based job for Beaucidine, at least for mega runs. "Follow the pet!" is a common theme there.
    We RARELY used bst for this. The leaders feel smn is more suitable because they are more beneficial in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• Romyro
    replied

Look…best advice I can give you is play the job you enjoy the most, trust me you’ll have more fun. Go Brd because you want to go Brd. Don’t go Brd just because it’s highly sought for endgame.

I’ll say it again. I HATE BRD. I use it for dynamis only…well sometimes during limbus too if attendance is low. I ask my leaders every run if I can go as bst/smn/pup though. I even try to sneak in as other jobs sometimes but that just makes people angry lol.

I won’t lie, brd has helped me get some pieces for other jobs. But I certainly would have done things differently if I had to start over.

Leave a comment:

• TheGrandMom
    replied

I know you've already been warned but I have to reiterate, brd in endgame is not very enjoyable. It's repetitive to the point of ad nauseam! You will also be pestered to death about helping other ls members with quests/buffer/missions/etc. I had an endgame brd and I learned to suck at it just to get some peace! lol I just want you to be aware of this because if you are not that into support, you will end up hating the job with a passion.

Leave a comment:

• DRblade
    replied

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't exactly what I had wanted to hear but I guess that's how the game goes. So it seems like if I really want to get the "good" gear for BST in end game, I should level a more useful/popular job for the LS. If BRD in fact is quick to level to 75, I think I'm going to go that route to take that up and have that be my LS job then level BST up. An all pet LS would be very cool to join once I get BST leveled up. Would probably have to switch servers to a server that has a big pet LS to join.

Leave a comment:

• Romyro
    replied

For Dynamis, they'll WELCOME a pet-based job for Beaucidine, at least for mega runs. "Follow the pet!" is a common theme there.
    If your talking about the boss then I wouldn’t necessarily say they’ll WELCOME any pet based job. Usually I see one of the Whms go /smn for that.

Leave a comment:

• Nuriko
    replied

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
    In a Dynamis only shell, you just may be able to and there is usually little competition for AF2.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X