Is BST useful in End Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is BST useful in End Game?

Been looking around quite a few end game posts and most of the ones I see say that BST is not an important job when it comes to doing End Game stuff. My question is that, is BST useful in End Game anymore? My plans were to level BST as my main (BRD and BLU as my second and third) and (hopefully) do a lot of End Game stuff with it but it seems like that may not happen. Any info is appreciated.
    My FFXI Blog
    http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/blog.php?u=44476

Re: Is BST useful in End Game?

Unless you can get into a BST or pet-specific LS, you're going to find a lot of resistance toward you bringing BST to endgame events. People like predictable results and see BST as a gamble and a weaker DD (even though that's a misconception fueled by pet damage filters).

Things could be changing within this year though, with the Abyssea content coming out and the level cap being raised the old endgame may very well become intermediate content and if the focus shifts to more low-man content (which it should, since the population is smaller than in the past), then it could be a more pet-friendly endgame in the future.

Comment

^^^ that stuff...

Nail on the head.

Comment

If you get into a strong endgame shell and are an exceptional Bst, you might be able to attend certain events on occasion. Though it will depend on the objective because there are only a few where they can afford to give a spot to a Bst. If you will be using Bst to apply for an endgame shell, you probably won't get into any of the better shells. I would take the time to level another, more popular, endgame job before applying to any prestigious ls.
        Originally posted by Feba
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        Originally posted by DakAttack
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

bst is my main, really i like to grind and merit more than anything else. I found out year one that bst didnt get much action from endgame LS when Sky was "it" for endgame. So I just went down my list of jobs i wanted to play and grinded them out. I started off first going to sky as PLD, then it got boring so I did MNK, BLU, WAR, SAM, NIN to 75. Since I like playing all these jobs I'd just jump on whatever job the shell needed when we were short on ppl. Then i would focus lotting for NIN and SAM b/c BST can rock all that good gear. It can keep ur HNMLS from seeming like a job when farming too, when u can suit up a different job 3 times a week and change up the play style. I c you got BRD as an alt job, I'd go with that. U can level it to 75 in a few weeks, and if you are active in the shell they will cater to you as a brd. Just don't be one of those jerk players who think everyone needs ur BRD b/c thats just bad juju :-)
          It's like a sickness. Haven't played in so long I'm dreaming about playing. Time to reactivate that old account.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
            If you get into a strong endgame shell and are an exceptional Bst, you might be able to attend certain events on occasion. Though it will depend on the objective because there are only a few where they can afford to give a spot to a Bst. If you will be using Bst to apply for an endgame shell, you probably won't get into any of the better shells. I would take the time to level another, more popular, endgame job before applying to any prestigious ls.

So then if I level BST and BRD up to 75 and do most of the end game events on BRD (since that would be more preferred), am I still able to lot on BST stuff since BST would still be my main?
            My FFXI Blog
            http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/blog.php?u=44476

Comment

Originally posted by DRblade View Post
              So then if I level BST and BRD up to 75 and do most of the end game events on BRD (since that would be more preferred), am I still able to lot on BST stuff since BST would still be my main?
              Most LSes maintain a rule that if your job is 75 and can equip it, then you can lot on it, though some LSes also have a "priority" condition on certain gear for certain jobs. Its really going to depend on the LS.

That said, make sure you like BRD before you commit to it for endgame. BRD is fun for EXP PTs for a lot of people, its fun for gaining merits more quickly... but for many it stops being fun after max level and merit goals are reached.

There's a lot of repetition in this game and this job probably gets the most monotonous.

If you're going to try support classes, I would give all of them a fair shake - RDM, BRD, COR and SCH. I'm partial to COR and SCH because they can enjoy more versatile party setups in EXP and endgame. Plus they can often get the satisfaction of going on the offensive, something RDM and BRD can't really get away with in parties.

PLDs are also always in demand. If you want to stand out in endgame, its going ot be tank, mages or support, melees are a dime a dozes. Some melees get a chance to shine in certain situations, but there's just a lot of competition there unless you're a BST or RNG.

But again, we don't know where endgame is going now. Its going to change, now is not the time to put all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by DRblade View Post
                It really depends on the ls and the events you do. It's best to ask straight up before joining a shell if you'll be able to use Bst often and about competition for equips. Since other melée use the some of the same equips, you will probably have stiff competition. In high level endgame shells, it's highly unlikely that you'll be attending events on Bst though.. In a Dynamis only shell, you just may be able to and there is usually little competition for AF2.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Just to add on to what BBQ said, up until now SE has been primarily focused on EXP parties with regards to job balancing. They're shifting that focus to end game, and have also acknowledged that pet jobs need serious rebalancing in this regard.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

also remember that most memebers in the endgame shells already have the in high demand equips from the older areas like sky and sea already. if its a good shell they could have you hooked up and geared in a few weeks. a friend of mine got into an ls like this, they took him up to sky and got him the kitty pants and an osode just b/c they hadnt been to sky in months and welcomed the change of pace.
                    It's like a sickness. Haven't played in so long I'm dreaming about playing. Time to reactivate that old account.

Comment

I for one, am terrified of what BST will be able to do @99 with regards to the current end game. Mark my words, those uncapped Jugs are going to turn into absolute monsters, never mind the likely addition of level 99 jugs.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

if its done right, SE could have me playing ffxi on the side when ffxiv comes out, just so i could play bst as main again this time for everything.

Comment

Generally speaking (for the current Lv.75 cap situation), a well geared BST can function decently as a melee DD with the (jug) pet's damage added. Yet, it has many shortcomings:
                          • It takes a lot effort to achieve parity; a very well geared BST with Fortitude Axe off-hand to spam Rampage can still be beaten by DRG with less effort sunk into gear in merit parties.
                          • For most endgame situations, BST doesn't offer anything special for dealing damage or beyond. Examples:
                            • Although it's better now that BST can choose which TP attack the pets use and Primal Rend is one of the few elemental WS which does decent damage, if different types of damage are needed, BLU and SMN are the masters.
                            • Snarl is terrific for merit/exp parties, but in situations where there's a tank (and bunch of SAM/THF's TA'ing WS on the tank), Snarl isn't useful.
                            • BST doesn't offer much utility beyond direct damage, when comparing to THF's Feint and Treasure Hunter, DRG's Angon, WAR's off-tanking, DRK's Stun, RNG's easy of staying out of AoE's, SMN's buffs, or BLU's everything.
                            • Continuing on the relative lack of utility: Feral Howl has a very short duration for its long recast to be counted on, IMO. Killer Instinct is interestingin theory, but how often do BSTs land in the tank party? Do people even merit this?
                          • Lack of strong, charm-able pets in most endgame event area.
                          • In low-man situation where TP feeding is a concern, jug pet feeds more TP than justifiable for the damage it does--other DD jobs can match or exceed BST's damage output without the extra TP feeding.

Especially for players new to endgame, it's just a lot easier to get decent, useful performance out of the likes of a BRD/WHM/RDM/SCH, than any DD job. Worse than that, BST is sort of handicapped as a DD job to begin with as primarily a one-handed weapon user who lacks anything special damage wise or any impressive utility beyond damage.

Now, if BST is used as something other than just a damage source in places with charm-able pets, that's an entirely differently story. However, in most linkshells, there are probably not enough experienced, well geared BSTs to make BST-centric strategies work. Even if they do, what would they do with people who don't have jobs which fit well with BST strategies anyway?

That's how this non-BST person sees it. YMMV.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I see some LSs with a Bst here and there. But they are generally members that used other jobs to earn exceptional gear that Bst can use, thus making them exceptional Bsts. Typically when I see a truly decked out Bst, chances are high he’s got WAR lvled as well since they can wear some of the same things. If anything, you’ll probably get into Dynamis and Limbus oppose to HNMs. And even in those shells you’ll probably be ignored a lot no matter how great you perform.

I’ve seen some Bsts put up respectable DDing numbers and the only feed back they get is “sorry, I wasn’t watching…but did you see my Gekko??” (or whatever those SAM WSs are called).

I can’t blame endgame shells for not giving Bst much love though. Well geared Bsts are few and far between. I see a shit ton of lvl 75 Bsts that put very little effort into their gear. Horribly outdated weapons or 1 gear set for all occasions. Then there’s those that do everything in relic gear ><…That might ok for farming or solo xping but it wont open up any endgamers eyes.

I’d suggest looking for a pet shell. And if there isn’t one, you can always try to create one. Smns, Pups and Bsts work out surprisingly well with each other and can do some endgame activities.

Hopefully this whole topic doesn’t completely steer you away form Bst. While it’s not the best for endgame, it’s great for a lot of missions, great for B/K seal farming, good for lots of b/kcnms and can handle some tough NMs that others avoid. I’ve got Bst, Smn, Pup and Brd to 75 (and Blm to 73) and Bst is still my all-time favorite.
                            99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
                            -Farsha (90) Completed!!
                            -Verth (90) Completed!!
                            -Guttler (95) Completed!
                            -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
                            -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
                            -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                              In a Dynamis only shell, you just may be able to and there is usually little competition for AF2.
                              For Dynamis, they'll WELCOME a pet-based job for Beaucidine, at least for mega runs. "Follow the pet!" is a common theme there.

Comment

Working...
                              X