Apollo or Light Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo or Light Staff

Now I know from BLM that the HQ staves make a little bit of a difference on nuke damage, resistance, etc. I have used a monster signa till 51, now I am just using my Light staff that I had from my full set of staffs for BLM. Will it make that much of a difference between light/apollo staff and are these actually better than the monster signa?

Also btw this is only for my charm setup

I have a melee and MP setup also - good thing for macros.

Re: Apollo or Light Staff

I charmed a IT++ with Light Staff last week just to save someone's butt, I'm sure that was a gamble on my part, but if I can do that with the NQ, I can't see how HQ would be that much better. HQ Staves, in general, are superfluous purchases that don't add much beyond the NQ unless you are a BLM or RDM.

Comment

HQ Staves also add a nice boost to the elemental nature of Bard Songs, especially Elegy (Terra's) and Lullaby (Apollo's). I haven't tried them yet with Requiem or Threnody, though I imagine it'd make a difference with those as well.
      Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
      Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
      Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        I charmed a IT++ with Light Staff last week just to save someone's butt, I'm sure that was a gamble on my part, but if I can do that with the NQ, I can't see how HQ would be that much better. HQ Staves, in general, are superfluous purchases that don't add much beyond the NQ unless you are a BLM or RDM.
        ok so you would think that light staff would be sufficient, that is what I thought (also hoped cause I didn't want to put out 1.1mil lol) I know with BLM I only have 2 HQ staffs Ice and Thunder, and I grew the ore myself and had a friend craft them. Only reason I did these two HQs was cause those are the 2 "major" damage spells that BLM have. I guess with me being an elvaan I wanted to make sure I wasn't gimp, atleast with those spells.

So you think the light staff also outweighs the Monster Signa also? I know Charm is light based - thats why you use a light staff. So is the +chr kinda like +int for blm after awhile your better off going with the element/mab other than +int?

Comment

I use an Apollo's Staff. I don't use it most if the time, as my regular Charming kit works fine. However, when for the times when I absolutely need Charm to stick, I want to make sure I've got the best chance possible. That said, a Light Staff works just fine for most things, and no-one's going to complain if you use it rather than Apollo's.

Monster Signa works almost but not quite as well as a Light Staff in my experience (which is limited to level-cap areas so I can't do a direct comparison). If I'm using Tuna Sushi, it's fine but if I'm not, I find it a bit lacking. This is possibly due to my Mithran charisma though.

I may be wrong with this, and please correct me if I am, but I think that Light/Apollo's overcomes the problem of diminishing returns with charisma. If you have high +chr already then the bonus from Signa isn't actually going to help that much, whereas +Charm would be more effective. At lower levels though, the Signa bonus would be better.
          I have heard that those who celebrate life
          walk safely amongst the wild animals.
          When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
          the animals find no place to attack them
          and weapons are unable to harm them.
          Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

ok so you think it work just like BLM gets diminishing returns from +int gear, which would make sense. So far I haven't had any charm issues just using the light staff, but I'll hold on to my Monster signa for capped activities.

I know I may not need to use the light staff at all (as omgwtf said) - but I really hate mischarms (always happens to me when I really need it not to!) and would rather just swap it in just in case!

Comment

The consensus is that Light Staff beats Monster Signa easily. The numbers that are usually used with Light Staff is +10% charm success rate, with Apollo Staff giving +15% charm success rate.

Whether you think the extra gil is worth the extra +5% is up to you.
              Lyonheart
              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Will it make that much of a difference between light/apollo staff and are these actually better than the monster signa?
                If there is one HQ item I recommend for BST, it is the Apollo's Staff. I originally got the Apollo's to replace my Light when I was leveling BRD, and it made a world of difference on lullaby resists. Extrapolating this to Charm, I have gone on the assumption that Apollo's >> Light. Additionally, with my Apollo's, mischarms on EM/DC slimes in the Oubliette at 54 were very infrequent.

And yes, I believe these are much better than the Monster Signa. The only Charm benefit from the Signa is the +CHR boost. However, there is a point of diminishing returns (where more CHR isn't really that noticeable) that other Charm gear can cover, but the Apollo's/Light gives you a +15/10% increase to your charm success rate.
                BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

I used light staff until level 72.
                  Then I changed to apolo because charm started to get resisted more often than lv 60's.
                  It was noticeablly better.

Let's say if you charm every 5 minutes.
                  You mischarm once every hour.
                  That's 91.7% chance to successfully charm.
                  With extra 5%, it's 96.7%, which makes it mischarm once every 2 1/2 hours.
                  And this actually is just about how much I used to mischarm with light staff and how much I mischarm now with apolo staff.

Comment

hmmm, ok guys thank you very much for your input, guess I may have to farm up some gil to get this then - at least its not "needed" at my current level but it can't hurt to get it as soon as I can. I was hoping to stay with just light staff but as I stated, mis-charms, no thanks...lol - they always, always happen at the worst times too!!

Comment

Originally posted by TaruBST View Post
                      I used light staff until level 72.
                      Then I changed to apolo because charm started to get resisted more often than lv 60's.
                      It was noticeablly better.

Let's say if you charm every 5 minutes.
                      You mischarm once every hour.
                      That's 91.7% chance to successfully charm.
                      With extra 5%, it's 96.7%, which makes it mischarm once every 2 1/2 hours.
                      And this actually is just about how much I used to mischarm with light staff and how much I mischarm now with apolo staff.
                      If we go by your example of 91.7% charm rate with Light staff, the base charm rate is only 83.36% to start with, the charm rate with Apollo becomes 95.86% not 96.7 .

Either way 95.86 over 91.7 is still "only" a 4.53% increase, so in this case I would see Apollo as a luxury for BST, nice but not needed so to speak .

The Light staff in itself is a bonus so in order to calculate Apollo's bonus you must first deduct the bonus from the Light Staff before you can apply the Apollo bonus (since percentages aren't addative unless you actually use 1/100 as a base).
                      Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
                      Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidedust View Post
                        Either way 95.86 over 91.7 is still "only" a 4.53% increase, so in this case I would see Apollo as a luxury for BST, nice but not needed so to speak .
                        Monster Signa, Light Staff, Apollo's Staff. All 3 items are luxury items, and not "needed". The real question is, what level of luxury can you afford / want to experience while exp'ing?
                        Lyonheart
                        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                          Monster Signa, Light Staff, Apollo's Staff. All 3 items are luxury items, and not "needed". The real question is, what level of luxury can you afford / want to experience while exp'ing?
                          Light Staff i NOT a luxury, I would rank Light Staff as a bare minimum for any BSTs charm set since it will do more in a single slot for charming that basically any amount of Charisma will ever do for you in a single slot of gear.

Monster Signa is far from needed and Apollo is just a little more potency then Light Staff, but a Light Staff is not expensive or hard to find so shouldnot be seen as a luxury but rather as a bare minimum for when it comes to Charm gear (since you can basically charm stuff naked as long as you just have a Light/Apollo).
                          Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
                          Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidedust View Post
                            If we go by your example of 91.7% charm rate with Light staff, the base charm rate is only 83.36% to start with, the charm rate with Apollo becomes 95.86% not 96.7 .

The Light staff in itself is a bonus so in order to calculate Apollo's bonus you must first deduct the bonus from the Light Staff before you can apply the Apollo bonus (since percentages aren't addative unless you actually use 1/100 as a base).
                            Yes, you're right about the calculation. I did it incorrectly
                            I also agree that Apollo is a luxury for BST.
                            I couldn't afford it at lv51 and hardly could afford at lv72.
                            It's nice to have but definitely not needed.

Comment

Light Staff totally has a place, but Signa is pure junk and I think people only like to say its good because (1) They obsess about CHR of Galka or Mithra and (2) to feel better about the purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X