Pulling and Gear for Merit PTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling and Gear for Merit PTs

Just dinged 75 on Bard on Sunday. I was actually about 3k into level 74 when I got asked to be puller in merit pt. I knew Merits were fast, but I didn't realize just how fast lol. The leader was really nice about helping me learn how to pull, since I told him straight up before I accepted that I had never merited before.

This was before I did a big upgrade of equipment, but Elegy and Lullaby was resisted quite often. We got to Chain 50 before it broke cause one of the DD's went afk for a few mins. Though it was incredibly hard to keep up and keep up songs at the same time. I actually noticed the melees were being nice and slowed down their kill speed a bit so I was able to successfully keep March x2 up at all times.

Now, got invited into another Merit PT. Before this, I made quite a few upgrades to my gear, adding about an extra +30 chr. Now, the next pt was even faster than the first. I am pretty broke, so I didn't have quite a few options in terms of gear as I would like (currently doing puk ISNM runs hoping to get lucky lol) but I do have a small "debuffing" and "Buffing" set, and I do mean small lol.

My macro for elegy looks like this:
    /equip earth staff
    /equip earth grip
    /equip Demon Helm
    /equip errant slops
    /elegy

So I have the highest chr and +skill so Elegy can stick, Lullaby macro is similar.

March macros are similar, but I swap in AF Legs for the +wind since it benefits from skill and not chr.

I swap in W. Turban for Utsusemi (though since I'm getting almost no resists I've considered just putting in elegy/lullaby for shorter recasts.

Anyways, 2nd pt, couldn't get past chain 30. We were doing Greater Colibri in bhafalu thickets (middle area) and we always ran out and usually after pulling a few from the lower levels, there weren't any left in range and Chain broke.
    Well, I was wondering what gear is essential to making BRD pulling much easier? And also, how do you usually pull and keep up?

Trying to get Yigit gomlek but no one wants to do assault >.<

Will post Gear later when I get home.
    80BRD/78DRK/68RNG/49NIN/37SAM/37WAR/37WHM/19BLM/16SMN/15THF
    Hume/Bastok/Rank6/Remora:

Re: Pulling and Gear for Merit PTs

Once you can land Lullaby reliable, Yigit Gomlek (or Sha'ir Manteel) and Minstrel's Ring are the tools which make the most difference, in my experience. I get good used out of my Loquacious Earring and Rostrum Pumps, but obviously those are more marginal in benefits.

Yes, they are all either expensive or hard to get; sorry. But, time is a merit'ing Bard's most precious asset--if you can shave off time, you can help a fast killing party. Other people have recommended getting a Mamoolbane (or another 4000 IS throwing weapon) for pulling Colibris faster, but I haven't tried that, so can't comment on it much.

If the DDs are strong enough, get WHM for Esuna, and mix in the Wirves when you run out of Greater Colibris. If you're lucky, you'll have a COR who's smart enough to upgrade Dia II to Da III with a Light Shot.
    Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Yeah I have capped singing/Wind skill and during the times I was able to use Lullaby, I didn't have much trouble landing it.

Gear:
      Head: Demon Helm/W. Turban
      Main: Light/Earth Staves
      Neck: Bird Whistle (Saving for a Wind Torque)
      Ears: Melody x2
      Rings: Neried x2
      Hands: Sha'ir Gages
      Cape: Jester's +1
      Waist: Corsette +1
      Legs: Erant Slops/Brd AF
      Body: Erant body
      Feet: AF

And i have a ton of instruments only big ones i'm missing is Ebony Harp +1 and a few obscure ones that are never on AH. All HQ as well. And tbh the only ones looks like i will only use in merit is F. Piccolo, Mary's horn and horn+1 which i already have.

Yeah Minstrel's earring looks incredibly appealing. My friend is helping me get into a Dynamis ls so hopefully that will be another opportunity to get better gear.

Also, while on the subject of dynamis, what exactly is a Bard's role in dyna? I hear it's pretty much buffing and sleeping mobs which doesn't sound that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by JoetheAwesome View Post
        Yeah Minstrel's earring looks incredibly appealing.
        Minstrel's Ring, not earring.

Originally posted by JoetheAwesome View Post
        Also, while on the subject of dynamis, what exactly is a Bard's role in dyna? I hear it's pretty much buffing and sleeping mobs which doesn't sound that bad.
        There are a few things difficult to sleep with dark based sleep, such as Hecteyes, Slimes, and bats, that a BRD can help with. Though, if those foes are few in number, it may be better to have COR or WHM sleep those since Light Shot and Repose both last longer than Lullaby.

Depending on the LS you join, you may find yourself in:
        A. Balanced/Tank Party: Buffing more or less like it's an exp party, and using your free time looking for people to cure.
        B. BRD "main healer" Party: Playing Paeon a lot, and desperately trying to get enough MP to keep people alive as the only person in party with cure.
        C. BLM party: Playing Lullaby (with a harp) over and over, almost hoping the BLMs would get hit more so you'd have more to do.

All that get mixed with some amount of crowd control, of course, depending on LS and zone.

B annoys me the most. It happened often enough that I think I'm switching to SCH as my main job for Dynamis, even though it's much faster to get back exp buffer on BRD.

Oh, be prepared to lose exp. You'll want a 15k or better exp buffer (I keep mine at cap exp on BRD, though that's probably excessive).

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
          If you're lucky, you'll have a COR who's smart enough to upgrade Dia II to Da III with a Light Shot.
          I might be wrong, but didn't the alter Light Shot? I don't think it upgrades Dia anymore. I'm pretty sure all it does is sleep the mob. Still not a bad deal.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
          99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
          99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Getting pretty off topic, but oh well:

At one time, Light Shot used to increase potency of light based debuff as well as to do damage. After the update, Light Shot no longer does damage; instead, it sleeps the target.

However, it still increases the potency of light based debuff (which is Dia, basically--no idea what it does for Banish, if anything). The increase to Dia's effect is a further 5% reduction to defense, which is about the difference between Dia II and III.

- Mugaku

Comment

Ahh. Good to know. thanks

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
              99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
              99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

It won't do anything to banish, as it only works for status affects, and AFAIK banish does straight dmg

-As far as that though, hopefully your party is killing the birds so fast, and also steady (steady is what will get you the constant chain) that you won't need much more than dia1/2 having the cor pop off light shots is ... meh, something but shouldn't be needed if your party is already to the point, dimisnishing returns if you will.

27k/hr isn't going to jump up to 36k and hour based on dia2/3
                you might see 1k an hour jump, which for me personally, isn't worth the card spam.
                Last edited by ShepardG; 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: more on topic

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                  It won't do anything to banish, as it only works for status affects, and AFAIK banish does straight dmg
                  Banish temporarily lessens damage resistance on Undead monsters. The duration depends on which Banish used.

Does that count as a status effect for Light Shot? Dunno. But, it is a type of status effect in my book, but only for Undead targets.

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                  -As far as that though, hopefully your party is killing the birds so fast, and also steady (steady is what will get you the constant chain) that you won't need much more than dia1/2 having the cor pop off light shots is ... meh, something but shouldn't be needed if your party is already to the point, dimisnishing returns if you will.
                  Well, if you ever been in a party which can chain while switching back and forth between Wivre and Colibri, you'll want the upgraded Dia II if you can have it.

Goes without saying that the effect of (upgraded) Dia is even more dramatic when the DDs get Chaos Roll to increase their attack.

Anyway, strong DDs, awesome WHM, smart COR, and a free camp--that's all a BRD needs for great exp/hour. heh.

- Mugaku

Comment

Well, hit Chain 106 today. Only reason we stopped was due to people leaving. So I feel like i'm getting the hang of it. =] Even when the DDs were all Penta Thrust crazy SAMs. >.<

A little unrelated, but Khroma Ore dropped in my run today. Gonna see what gear I shouldl upgrade first. ^^

Comment

Working...
                    X