Minstrel vs AF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minstrel vs AF

For all your experienced Bards out there, in what situations do you use the Minstrel Coat?

I've only been using AF since I got it, but I like the stats on Minstrels and am just curious what situations you decide to use each in? I know ppl swap between the Osode and Minstrel/AF for CHR vs Skill reasons, but how do you know when?

Forgive my ignorance if this has been discussed before. Before I camp this NM I'd kinda like to know why ppl tell me to get it and how to properly use it.
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Re: Minstrel vs AF

Skill+ gear depends on your instrument, and CHR only affects debuffs.

I personally never used AF body (since I only use stringed instrument when Ballading a party of mages and even then it's just for the added range), I went with the Gaudy Harness (3 CHR). You can use it until Minstrel's/Yigit/Sha'ir/Errant/Osode.

Get skill (wind & singing, stringed isn't quite as effective) where you can, and fill the rest with CHR. Later on you need to balance it out to fit your needs.
    The road remains wide open while your dreams are alive. Only fear can block the way.

zitah.nu

Comment

Minstrel Coat is in my peak wind skill macro - usually comes on when I'm casting party buffs, but it'll stay on unless I switch to a different gearset. I don't currently use a string skillset, so my AF body is sitting in storage.
      Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
      Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
      Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Having a Stringed skillset is useful in something like Dynamis when being the Ballad whore for BLMs, greater Stringed skill can add range to your Ballad which is nice for when the BLMs run around all willy-nilly, it also can help with Lullaby should you choose to use a Nursemaid's Harp later on. Between AF and Minstrel's though, I use Minstrel's for buffs and I generally never use AF, however were I to upgrade it to the AF+1 version it gets enough CHR to replace Errant Houppelande or Osode for debuffs. That isn't really worth it to me though, AF+1 mats are much better spent on hands/legs, and you'd still want to keep Errant/Osode around as a Stoneskin piece.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

The Bard Body Upgrade Path:

Minstrel/Errant

Upgrade to Minstrel/Osode

Upgrade to Minstrel/Choral Justaucorps +1

Upgrade to Minstrel/Marduk's Jubbah and keep Choral Justaucorps +1 around for String.
          Marduk's also replaces your Gaudy Harness if you have one.

There is also the lovely:

Valkyrie's Coat

whose astounding +11 Magic Accuracy will most likely trump even Marduk's +12 CHR which at high dCHR will will probably only net you about +6 Accuracy though the effects of high dCHR are not (afaik) known. It definitely won't beat Marduk's Refresh effect though for BRD/WHM. This is an alternative to Marduk's but the Cursed Coat may be a bit difficult to come by (not that 12 Imperial Wootz Ingots are easy).

Minstrel's Coat is for Wind & String--you can trade up to AF+1 body if you have it for String. You usually use Wind on March/Minuet/Madrigal and usually use String for Ballad/Paeon/anything that doesn't rely on skill. +CHR for debuffs.
          Last edited by Sabaron; 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X