New Bard looking for guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bard looking for guidance

Hey guys. Just found the site really. I'd just like to say first off that I've actually read into the job a fair amount. However I'm finding the list of songs and instruments a little overwhelming. I'm sure I'll get my head round it but I was wondering if you guys could clear up several things for me.

I'm a returning player, started up a Mithra on my old server of Valefor. I'm aware race doesn't really matter for Bard, thus I chose my favourite. I've decided on a route of WHM/RDM to 30, simply because I leveled BLM to 65 a long time ago and hated it so much.

Now when I unlock Bard, I want to be able to set off leveling from the word go. However I'm curious what crucial instruments/songs are needed? I've been attempting to read ffxiah.com and ffxiclopedia.org to understand about songs. As far as I know, theres practically a song per level and there all NPC sold?

With that in mind, do you guys recommend me buying the songs from the respective nations in bunches, before I begin Bard and simply store them? Other than that, should I always be aiming for the +1 string/wind ect?

I'm just slightly concerned money wise, because BRD seems a very, very party dependant job but something I'd like to do. I very much like to keep my character updated with top notch gear and full slots, will there be anyway up in the 40-60's around this?

Thanks for your time DIV.
    Novea of Valefor.

Re: New Bard looking for guidance

Bard relies on CHR+ gear and Wind/Singing/Instrument Skill+ gear

Most popular songs are:

Minuet (increases attack for party members)
    Madrigal (increases accuracy for party members)
    March (increases attack speed for party members)
    Ballad (MP regen for mages and ppl that need magic)
    Finale (removes a stat from a mob, usually something to increase their defense)
    Requiem (DoT spell that gradually lowers defense)

There's many more songs that increase/decrease resistance for PT members against certain elements, spells, etc, but really I haven't used them yet, and I'm now at 50. I use my WHM bar-spells for that kinda stuff. My usual PT scenario has been like this:

Pull mob, Requiem Mob
    Minuet + Madrigal or Minuet + March (if PT has a couple nin or dnc)
    Ballad for mages

Finale if needed

Pull next mob
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Comment

Er... the most potent song in the Bard arsenal is by far Elegy (slow effect). Carnage Elegy is the strongest player-usable Slow effect in the game.

There are also occasional uses for other songs, and the upcoming update promises to make Bards even busier by allowing spot-targetting of a specific song such as Mambo (evasion+) for Ninjas.

Another important song to know is Lullaby for putting eneies to sleep.

As for Requiem... I never found any use for any of them in an XP party setting. The damage they deal is minimal, at best, even with a +2 instrument. I'd much rather cast a Threnody and lower their elemental resistance to something my party is using.

Icemage

Comment

Thanks for the quick and helpfull replys guys. So if I'm not mistaken I basically need to concentrate on:

Elegy (slows monster)

Does Elegy need casting at the start of every battle, or simple in emergeny circumstances?

Also almost the last thing I'm curious to know, does each crucial song listed above have an individual intrument I must use?
        Novea of Valefor.

Comment

I have only leveled BRD up to roughly 35, but I do know that each vital song does indeed have their own instrument that boost it's effect. Whether you get HQ is up to your wallet, but they all do help in some way or another.

If I remember right from what a HL BRD told me... Lullaby and Elegy were up on the top of the list of vitally needed instruments.
          Life is all about decisions. It is the decisions you make in life that shape you.
          sigpic

Comment

The scrolls are vendored for the most part at low levels, but they can be all over the place. BRD tends to level fast, so if I were you I'd have 4 or 5 levels of songs ready to use when you go XP. It might help to have a mule in each nation to buy them with minimal running around. Or if you have friends (usually not a problem for BRD) they can assist with this too.

Many important songs are not vendored (Ballad II is a good example) so you will need to either quest, farm, or buy off the AH. There's just too many variations to list, so you will want to do your own research on this.

I don't know how intense you really want to get with instruments. You can try to carry a +1 instrument for everything, but your inventory will get full very quickly! I think starting out the most important thing to do is have at least one wind and one string instrument so that you can keep both skills capped. A Mary's Horn is probably a good investment minimally because when you are called upon to sleep, you ~need~ it to stick. The other stuff I will leave to more experienced BRDs than I to recommend.

See if you can find a woodworking friend in your travels. I can HQ most instruments fairly cheaply as a 100 woodworker. If you can find one they can help you defer the cost of the instruments you want a bit.

One thing you should know is BRD has changed in the last few years. Now a BRD is expected to assume pulling duties in many PTs (this is different than when I was first starting out). You will want to be ready for this, although it doesn't seem to me to be that useful to have the BRD pull until you have an Elegy. I'd recommend at lower levels not pulling and instead spending that time getting used to song ranges, getting into the rhythm of switching between mage and melee songs, that sort of thing. Then when you have the added pressure of pulling that stuff will be second nature.

Enjoy it!

Elegy (slows monster)

Does Elegy need casting at the start of every battle, or simple in emergeny circumstances?

Also almost the last thing I'm curious to know, does each crucial song listed above have an individual intrument I must use?
            Elegy should be on the monster at all times. Reducing attack speed helps PLDs get cures off, helps NINs get their shadows up, etc. This is one of the better things you can do to help your tank!

March/Madrigal/Minuet has to be adjusted for the PT you have. Some PTs won't need madrigal so you can march or double minuet. Some PTs need it BADLY. Either ask the melees what they want, or judge for yourself based on how they are performing.

Finale will be a bread and butter song also, beetles and crabs especially spam buffs on themselves which Finale will help tear down.

I think you've got the basics down
            Last edited by Andrinor; 06-06-2008, 06:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            sigpic
            Mains: 75 RNG/MNK/BLM/BLU/NIN/SAM/BRD
            Proud Sackholder: Celestial Guardians, Legacy of Old

Comment

Originally posted by Novae View Post

Every battle for Elegy, and keep it up as much as you can if it wears off. Slow is something with long-term, full-fight benefits. You're probably not going to encounter too many emergencies where Slow is going to save the day.

You left Lullaby out of your list, and Paeons can come in handy, especially early on (e.g., melees down on HP and waiting for the mages' MP before the next pull).

Madrigal doesn't have a particular instrument to go with it. Everything else in your list does.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

Thanks again guys. I now feel like I'm a little clearer on the direction I'm going to take my Bard. The songs are all a little over whelming at first but I'll get used to it.

My only other question was how do BRDs fund there songs/intruments/gear?

I appreciate all the fast and constructive responses ^^
                Novea of Valefor.

Comment

Same way anybody funds anything. Farm, craft, HELM, fish, etc.
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

tbh, i only buy gear for my bard as needed...every 10-15 levels...if you're not pulling, chances are you don't need too high DEF so you can save some loot that way...I started off with vagabonds gear until beetle gear (lvl21), Cuir gear (lvl38) and for some reason I bought Raptor Gear (lvl48) <----it matches the color of Monster Signa, had to buy it ^^

save ur money on gear and buy +1 instruments and find a buddy who's higher and go to castle oztroja and giddeus and kill yags for a couple hours. you'll get a lot of scrolls that way (lullaby)

Monster Signa isn't a must, but it's nice to have. If you're in Giddeus, look for Hoo Mjuu!
                    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                    2/5 WAR +2
                    Farsha(85)

Comment

Checked out prices tonight as it's helping me learn a little better. So every +1 instrument is worth paying 10k more for? If so fair enough, but just bare in mind this will be my first job to 75, and I'm slightly worried about gear/songs also.
                      Novea of Valefor.

Comment

Since it's your first job to 75, just don't worry about it -- you'll find things and skills as you level up, and sometimes parties will tell you if something needs improvement.

However, as bard, parties really don't care what you have (except for songs, in which case Ballad, Minuet and Madrigal are absolutely necessary). Quite honestly, you can be naked with a no-buff horn and parties generally won't complain. Hell, I went through to 75 with only my AF and maybe 1-2 pieces of the Sha'ir.

Bard is more about skill and landing songs where they need to be than about the equipment.
                        Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                        90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                        70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                        52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                          Madrigal doesn't have a particular instrument to go with it. Everything else in your list does.
                          Traversiere/Traversiere +1 give bonuses to Madrigal. Perhaps you meant to say Mage's Ballad?

In reality the only instruments that really make a big difference are Horn +1 (Elegy bonus) and Mary's Horn (Lullaby bonus). Cornette +1 (Minuet bonus) is usually inexpensive enough to warrant the space. Everything else is strictly optional, but I would at least make sure you find a way to acquire all three of the above by the time you can use them.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                            Traversiere/Traversiere +1 give bonuses to Madrigal. Perhaps you meant to say Mage's Ballad?
                            Yes. Yes, I did.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            . . .

Comment

I just bought several instruments.. Turns out I was able to buy most +1 instruments up to 20, but the requiem one was out. If it continues to be, looks like I'd have to get to 20 and buy the upgrade of it.

My only other missing instruments are now a Minne+ instrument, just have the orginal due to lack of stock; and I saw Marys Horn was 200k O.O I dont have a chance there..
                              Novea of Valefor.

Comment

Working...
                              X