Downfalls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downfalls?

I'm looking to play Bard because it's a job that intrigues me. When I think of bards I think of a class that should be devoted to buffing party members. I want to fill this role, but I want to know of any handicaps before I start. What are the downfalls of Bard?

Re: Downfalls?

[edit] Strengths
    • Extremely sought after by party leaders.
    • Has the ability to strengthen the performance of every party member.
    • Can weaken enemy with slow songs that stack with a WHM/RDM/NIN's slow, and weakens resistance towards elements.
    • Lowers downtime for recovery after battles by being able to refresh MP and Regen HP.
    • When used well, a BRD can dramatically increase exp/hour in any party.
    • Soul Voice, the bards 2 hour ability, is very powerful, for example 2 attack songs with Soul Voice from a lvl 75 bard give an equivalent of Mighty Strikes to the melees, or a double march song the equivalent of Hundred Fists
    [edit] Weaknesses
    • Physically weak and poor in combat.
    • Exwtremely dependent on party, without others cooperation, they are unable to do their job correctly.
    • Can be one of the most frustrating jobs to do, in particular when a party refuses to cooperate. Partys often demand too much of BRD's at higher levels, and they may be responsible for more than 8 songs at a time.
    • Cast time on songs are generally 8 seconds, and a situations can change greatly within that time frame.
    • One of two jobs that must be concerned with positioning of all members of a party. (Bard & Corsair since 2006)
    • Lack of Job abilities.
    • Extremely consistant and repetative actions. Bard's will often be using the same songs over and over again in a party, running from the same two spots over and over again, and may never use some of the songs they learn other than for skilling up purposes.

Copied from this: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Bard:_G...laying_the_Job

Aaliyah is more than a woman and she graduated with a 4.0 GPA (she only had 1 "C" grade ever in her life).

I bolded and underlined the "is" just for you, Malacite.

Comment

I can deal with everything except the part about higher levels. If Bards are required to keep up to 8 songs active and each one is 8 second cast then you have to be using skills for 64 seconds without moving? If this is the case are there any ways around this?

Comment

Originally posted by Konky View Post
        I can deal with everything except the part about higher levels. If Bards are required to keep up to 8 songs active and each one is 8 second cast then you have to be using skills for 64 seconds without moving? If this is the case are there any ways around this?
        Bard will be moving around. Front line, then back line, then front line, then back line....

Later on, it'd be run out to pull, run back, two songs to the front line, out to pull again, run back, two songs on the back line, repeat, repeat, repeat ... You'd be wishing you can just stay still and play songs.

p.s. Do people really try to keep up 8 songs?! I must confess my ignorance; which 8 would that be?
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

"Partys often demand too much of BRD's at higher levels, and they may be responsible for more than 8 songs at a time."

That's what I was referring to. I don't have a knowledge of the job at all really.

Comment

8 seems a bit excessive. Generally you'll have a mob or two slept (maybe they are counting 1 for every lullaby?), two songs on the melee, and at least one if not two ballads on the healer/mages.

So, like, four, and then your lullabies. You might switch off to something else, but unless you're giving everyone individual etudes (which - why?), I'm hard pressed to think of an instance where you would have that many going.

Comment

Rain Blade pretty much covered it, if there was anything i was to add, it would be that you should take a bit of time to experience other jobs, read up on them and understand the needs each jobs have.

There are three major problems with BRDs today:

(1) is the lack of respect the give the job in terms of get. High Quality instruments (+1s or HQ) can add power and duration to your buffs, singing skill items can also increase potency. CHR is for your debuffs such as elegy, finale and Threnody. Invest the time needed in getting getting this equipment, along with elmental staves (light, earth and dark)

(2) is the lack of understanding in how other jobs work. Like I said, study up and play the other jobs a little, take time to unlock them and see what they do, where they are strong and weak. You'll find that what works for a Warrior may not be best for a Dragoon or Ranger. March (the haste song), just as an example, has no affect on ranged attacks, but it doesn affect magic recast timers and melee attack speed, so you'll want to usually use an attack buff for a RNG instead.

(3) Don't become a 100% Bardja. Ninja sub is nice, but never ignore or overlook the benefit of levelling White Mage. Ninja will offer you nothing at early levels and you may not always be asked to pull, so back up on curing and status cures is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                (3) Don't become a 100% Bardja. Ninja sub is nice, but never ignore or overlook the benefit of levelling White Mage. Ninja will offer you nothing at early levels and you may not always be asked to pull, so back up on curing and status cures is appreciated.
                This is especially true for parties in Caedarva Mire, where you will be expected to use Silena a LOT.
                Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Originally posted by Konky View Post
                  You wont be standing in one place and singing all 8 songs, this is generally impossible to achieve even if you tried. In a standard EXP party you will never be asked to do more than 5 (possibly 6 if you have 2 RNGs in your party) songs at a time on the players.

I will agree with the others and say that you will be spending extended periods of time running between 2 spots singing the same songs over and over and over again. If this doesn't sound like fun to you then you might do better looking at another job.
                  Last edited by Dux; 06-27-2007, 02:03 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling
                  - Never Underestimate The Power Of A Duck!
                  Dux Dux, Lallafel, Odin
                  My Profile On Lodestone

Comment

Working...
                  X