Which is more fun/rewarding bard or thief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more fun/rewarding bard or thief

I know this is the bard forum but was wondering if any of the bards here play a thief and how they like it compared to their bard? I am undecided as which route to take. Please help...

Re: Which is more fun/rewarding bard or thief

Don't cross-post your questions, please, you asked this on the THF fourm.

Go here for BRD

Go here for THF, try to actually read the forums and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 04-05-2007, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Anger Management.

Jesus, try not to scare EVERYONE away.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
        Anger Management.

Jesus, try not to scare EVERYONE away.
        Its not hard to research jobs, its just not.

Only way you can know if you really like a job is to play it for yourself. Don't let people tell you what job to play or whats easier to play, play what you like, otherwise your experience will be a miserable one.

You're not restricted to any one job in this game anyway, people always come to FFXI like race and job are something you're locked into once you choose it. Its not, FFXI is liberated from that restriction, so there really is no "either/or" situation. You can be a Bard and a Thief on the same character.

Comment

Play both. See which one you like better. Period. Stop asking other people to tell you what you'll like. They don't have a fucking clue what you'd like.

Comment

Try them both out. THF is a melee job with hate control abilities, whereas BRD is a support class whose primary focus is buffing allies. Research each job here or on other sites.

You can probably find some decent guide on any job in their respective forums.

ffxiclopedia is a nice DB site.
            BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

I know its not hard, but the the new player, knowing what to search for and how to make sense of it all can be daunting or confusing. I know I had a hard time understanding things like hate until i could play the game and no matter how many times I read it, I was none the wiser.

You just seem so aggressive sometimes. People come here for help, and if the answer is easy to find, point them in the right direction. Given that if they continually post stuff that is elsewhere...

Comment

Its ok to be new, its not OK to cross-post for attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                  Stop asking other people to tell you what you'll like. They don't have a fucking clue what you'd like.
                  This looks like a good slogan for life-in-general. It's applications are endless.

I'd say my life motto is in need for an update, and this looks like a good candidate. (Life motto being the phrase people use to complete "Well, you know what I always say:")

My current one is fairly wise and sagacious, but "Talk shit; eat shit" only has so many useful applications.

Comment

THF is exclusively a meelee job. BRD is a support job that typically does not meelee at all (in a exp party).

Also, if you want to get to 75 fast, BRD is one of the jobs - some say the fastest - to get to level 75. One thing they do have in common is that they both may be a 'puller.'

During play, the THF participates in skill-chains while the BRD sings.. and sings.. - (typically) and cures/supports.

I have found BRD to be very challenging - and demanding - to play well. I rotate various songs as the situation changes. Also, a good BRD may integrate otherwise unworkable job combinations into acceptable parties.

Of course, similar to what has already been suggested, you may level both - the gear for each has some overlap (btw, I play as a THF/BRD - whether exping or farming).

I'd say, if you would miss meeleeing too much and don't mind being puller - or even enjoy it - practically all of the time, choose THF.
                    If someone likes playing like a WHM that runs around the party camp, maybe BRD would be your thing..

Does that help you, Antmf?
                    Last edited by Achaicus; 04-09-2007, 11:29 PM.
                    while helping a friend with a HL level mission..
                    "np - just raise me again - Bard is still effective while cursed,
                    plus, just being a Bard IS a exp buffer"

Comment

In my opinion, some jobs are more difficult than others to take on as a "first job." Every job in FFXI has its own unique challenges and learning curve. BRD, SMN, NIN, and BLU are all jobs I would not necessarily recommend as a "first job," for different reasons. For SMN, it's because collecting the avatars is so challenging when SMN is your first job. With NIN, you must have a very good handle on the hate system and how it works, to say nothing of how expensive the job can be. For BLU, it's because you have to learn spells constantly, and it helps if you've already fought all these things before and know what they can do, to say nothing of it helping if you have high level friends to help you with spell learning. And with BRD, it's partly because there's so much to do, and partly because you level so quickly that you really don't have time to "learn as you go." You almost NEED to have a grasp on the job before even starting.
                      召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                      San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

my answer for this is simple and eloquent!
                        fun - thief!
                        rewarding - bard!

but it gets down to how you view the game mostly for the fun part!

but if your a bard your basically instaloved by all and can get invited while nude! for thf it does have less invites over brd. since thf is a DD/hate manager job and bard is a "i buff the party + refresh!" job

Comment

I can't resist saying this, but - as a Bard - I have played nude - twice -

One of the times was in a Jp party (and I had a blm sub job - semi-long story there)

So, there are times when being Bard is fun!

- Greg W.
                          while helping a friend with a HL level mission..
                          "np - just raise me again - Bard is still effective while cursed,
                          plus, just being a Bard IS a exp buffer"

Comment

Originally posted by Achaicus View Post
                            One of the times was in a Jp party (and I had a blm sub job - semi-long story there)
                            One time I was running around doing quests 58BRD/20BLM, and I received an invite. So, I accepted and told them I would go change to /WHM. However, they said not to bother and just come as I was.

I felt so gimp partying (I was used to status curing and some back up healing); all I could do was cast ice spikes.

At least I was able to Warp afterwards.
                            BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

Working...
                            X