Bard solo/duo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bard solo/duo

Hello everyone. My bard is currently 33 and 1k xp away from 34. I know its hard to believe but sometimes in jeuno it takes a while to get a party (even as a bard, I know, I know). Anyway, I heard bard has absolutly no hope of soloing abilities (even though I like to think there is). Is there any good duo teams that a bard/? and another job can pull off? At any level above 30?

Thanks for any help. I seem to get a good kick out of soloing and duoing (dont ask me why )

I dont watch anime. Sorry.
    Check out my webpage and forums at www.freewebs.com/concordtraceurs
    Parkour-Freerun.
    *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Re: Bard solo/duo

I duo'd with a RDM friend for a bit around those levels. He and I both had some fun with it. But a NIN would probably be your best partner.

Comment

Bard is a really weak solo partner at level 33. It's a job that gets stronger with more players in the party, so giving your boosts to just one party member is less effective than giving them to 3 or more. Add to that that your song selection at 33 is mostly lackluster except for Magic Finale.

NIN is not a good duo choice at that level either. They don't have Utsusemi: Ni yet, which they'll need if they want to solo.

If you insist on duo at that level, find a BLU/NIN. Blue Mage is probably the only job that can solo and hold hate at that level range safely.

Icemage

Comment

at 75 you can solo..... sub par lol
        unless I am /nin I get my butt kicked and your gonna get it even more at 33
        I would even leech off a friend or make a pt because you have to get past it

Server:Hades
        http://www.myffxi.com/Thott

Comment

People think Bard is an express ticket to level 75, and it's true that, after level 55, it is. However, they don't generally realize that between level 40 and level 54, there's this huge gap of levels that you have to struggle through with only Ballad I and Magic Finale as your primary selling points.

Fortunately for bards, most players are sheep and think that since Bards are awesome at end-game, they must necessarily be awesome in the 40-54 range too (which, frankly, isn't true - they're OK, but Red Mages and Corsairs both outshine Bard in that range overall as far as support abilities).

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
            PFortunately for bards, most players are sheep and think that since Bards are awesome at end-game, they must necessarily be awesome in the 40-54 range too (which, frankly, isn't true - they're OK, but Red Mages and Corsairs both outshine Bard in that range overall as far as support abilities).
            Icemage
            SHHHHHHH

Heh, ok thanks for the replies guys. I guess i'll just stick it out and shoot for some AF pieces even though bard AF sucks >_>.

Also, I see some impressive soloing (sort of) from some 75 BRD/NIN's but what about any other duo's in that level range? I was thinking a sort of Bard and summoner duo? I know, at least at lower levels, that avatars can tank if they are re summoned a lot, and what would happen if the MP didnt drain so fast? (Ballad I and II?). Just a thought, completely out there.

I want AF ( ) even though its pretty bad, it still looks better than some "melee" looking armor....

Parkour-Freerun.
            *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Comment

People think Bard is an express ticket to level 75, and it's true that, after level 55, it is. However, they don't generally realize that between level 40 and level 54, there's this huge gap of levels that you have to struggle through with only Ballad I and Magic Finale as your primary selling points.

Fortunately for bards, most players are sheep and think that since Bards are awesome at end-game, they must necessarily be awesome in the 40-54 range too (which, frankly, isn't true - they're OK, but Red Mages and Corsairs both outshine Bard in that range overall as far as support abilities).
              Its quite true people will pick up BRD completely for the bottom line, but Neruto doesn't really strike me as one of them if he's trying to the solo/duo so early, he's exploring BRD like any good player would. A lot of people hop on BRD just to get merits for their "real main" job these days, which is something I find really pathetic.

As a RNG I practically have to snap at a BRD for them to start playing Minuet x2 for me. I don't need Prelude and Madrigal does nothing for me in EXP. Yet Minuet x2 gives me attack stats that are harder to get through food. But its like each and every BRD is stuck on the idea melees need Madrigal. Not everything we fight is a colibri, so its not necessary.

ToA Generation BRDs just don't look at BRD from practically all setups and situations. That's not to say previous generations of BRD weren't in decline, many tagged themselves to the [Flavor-of-the-month Melee]x4 + WHM back then and many still continue to do so. It may be an "efficient" way to merit, but its not an efficient means to learn the job. The nosedive in BRD quality overall is just deplorable now, yet players worship them anyway.

I picked up the job with an Edward complex - I wanted to help others, which was a noble thought at the time. I'm just tired of the charade this class has become. I might just merit it like hell to fill out the other categories and give it up entirely. I know that sounds slightly hypocritical, but then, I just enjoy COR that much more and feel its the support class I really always wanted. I'd rather find new roles for my original main character now.

Anyway, Neruto, keep exploring the possibilities of the job. However, always remember that a BRD truly shines in a party. It is a bard's duty to inspire and empower allies, not seek glory for themselves.

Additionally, just as a bit of advice, try out some of the other jobs in the game. Its one thing to just come to a forum and be told what songs to play for which class, but actually experiencing the jobs and knowing their strengths or weaknesses can help you learn to apply your songs better in any given situation. Try out a melee, be a tank, a soloist role, a healer and nuker. I found the prior experience in these roles helped me apply songs/rolls very well.

Try to also step beyond the 4 buff rotation many BRDs are content with. If you have the camp space to hit melees from all angles, get in the habit of doing so.
              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-27-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Bard AF is terrible. Terrible stats. Terrible looks. Bard JSE (Shi'ar gear) is awesome, both in appearance and function, on the other hand.

BRD + SMN is meh. It's OK, but RDM + SMN is better. Actually your best partners at 75 for a Bard duo are NIN, THF, and RDM. Other combinations work, but those are by far the most effective.

Crow/Raven gear looks decent and is pretty useful. While you don't get hit much as a Bard under normal circumstances, it's nice for when you're controlling links.

EDIT: Omgwtfbbqkitten posted before me - I'm not accusing Mini Neruto of anything - I'm simply stating what the general non-Bard population of FFXI believes.

Icemage

Comment

EDIT: Omgwtfbbqkitten posted before me - I'm not accusing Mini Neruto of anything - I'm simply stating what the general non-Bard population of FFXI believes.

Icemage
                  I didn't think you were accusing him, I was really just expanding on what you said, if in more a of a rant-ish way

Comment

Ok. I've tried a lot of other jobs, but I think bard really is the job that im taking to 75. I guess soloing is a thing to do when your a high level, you have good money for stat boosters, and good gear (Shi'ar is around 30M on Fenrir... )

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                    I didn't think you were accusing him, I was really just expanding on what you said, if in more a of a rant-ish way
                    Bleh. I have to many high level friends that give me SO much info on bard, its almost impossible for me to do something wrong. KIDDING KIDDING. I make mistakes sometimes in parties but im sure to ask everyone about song choice and keep those suckers on.

Parkour-Freerun.
                    *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Comment

I think Icemage doesn't know how to have fun anymore, because seriously - what was up with that post? I know from experience that you can duo with a RDM or a NIN at that level range and get reasonably good exp. Will you be doing as well as a party? Of course not. But you can get ok exp when you just want to have a bit of fun and hang out with a friend.

Jesus Christ. Learn to be a little bit more flexible for crying out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                        I think Icemage doesn't know how to have fun anymore, because seriously - what was up with that post? I know from experience that you can duo with a RDM or a NIN at that level range and get reasonably good exp. Will you be doing as well as a party? Of course not. But you can get ok exp when you just want to have a bit of fun and hang out with a friend.

Jesus Christ. Learn to be a little bit more flexible for crying out loud.
                        Little harsh...but I agree. I really dont care about the quality of my xp when im soloing or duoing with a job. I love the feeling that I can kill mobs without a full party. By the way, what are the stratagies of the jobs listed. Whats the duo's gameplan and how can they succeed in killing mobs with success. Thanks for the help guys

Parkour-Freerun.
                        *~^~*Bard for life*~^~*

Comment

It was perhaps a bit harsh, but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                            It was perhaps a bit harsh, but oh well.
                            The original post asked about what combinations of BRD + <something> worked well. I provided examples of what works best. Yes, of course you can do BRD + SMN. Just like you can do WHM + MNK and all sorts of other unusual combos.

That's not what the question was, though. I provided answers to the question that was actually asked. If that's being "inflexible" then so be it. -.-

Icemage

Comment

He asked what at his particular level worked well for solo exp in between getting groups. Unless I completely misread his question.

Comment

Working...
                              X