This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of a Galka BRD

Thinking about starting one up, which obviously means im very bored.

Anything i should look out for? is the only sub worth using WHM? cause if it is i gotta max that puppy out. about how much of it is skill based? seems like a bunch of run around ballad, run madrigal, run ballad, DEBUFF~, more running....

Pros looks like you dont spend too much money on gear (thank you Galka RSE) and the party invites i hear are pretty good.

Cons are that I may face some massive backlash being a galka, and just for who i am ^.^
    =====================

Cover me in BBQ sauce cause im Hot as hell....

I don't think your smart enough to handle a Galka bard, youd just make other Galka Bards and Non Melees/tanks look bad and sad, and if you don't plan on spending much on your equipment, then this just adds more to making other playerbase look bad, just because a job is relatively cheap doesnt mean you shouldnt do your best to be the most effecient to your party IE +1 instruments and CHR+s.
    RDM 50/SAM 38/WAR 24/BLM 27/WHM 30/SMN 50/DRG 23/NIN 20/MNK14/PLD14/BRD12
    Shiva,Ifrit,Ramuh,Leviathan,Garuda,Titan Obtained.

Comment

Well Yuna, he's right. BRD is a relatively cheap job in comparison to other jobs. Most +instruments don't really cost that much...the same can be said for most +CHR gear. Sure, you can go all out like I did and buy the most expensive gear for +skill and +CHR, but that's only because I'm part of an HNMLS, and I do like to land debuffs on gods and the like once in a while.

To be an effective BRD in general, you really don't have to have all the fancy expensive stuff. While debuffing songs are nice, buffing songs are where a BRD's main strength lies...buffs, of course, cannot be resisted and CHR does nothing to affect their power or duration.
      All Nations: Rank 10
      Rise of the Zilart: Complete
      Chains of Promathia: Complete
      75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

I'd say just slap on some MP+ and whatever CHR you can find (at a reasonable) price and as you go you'll learn it real fast. Running around and getting into position is what bard is all about in EXP, combined with the right songs, which is another thing that you'll get the hang of over time.

Comment

Brd actually can use some skills and concentration. I have a few bards that, while they do their job running around singing the appropriate songs, their timing was so bad that actually annoyed me.

A good bard should always keep the music up and switch em accordingly. For example give the melee ballad near the end of a fight if there's PLD DRK or sing peon when their HP is low, and re-sing melee songs next fight. Making sure mages are 100% recieving ballad at all times, throw some debuff at the right time like elegy at the beginning and the right threnody before skillchains. Help with finaring when mobs buff itself up, some simple stuff like those believe it or not some bards can't... they just, can't.

A Galka in an XP PT is a little, very little, disadvantage due to their limited MP which means less cure/help they can provide when needed. It's not critical tho. But when it comes to a more serious fight like boss/BC battles such as BCNM, ENM, or dynamis, Galka will really shines. BRD are guaranteed to be attacked. And a Taru BRD will go down fast if they are not careful.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

eh shouldnt be too hard to keep the timing down, I got astrals to help with the MP problem in the lower levels, and Galka RSE is all about MP. Also one of my other characters has 86 wood working so i can craft alot of +1 instruments if i need to.

I already got it up to LVL 10, so im about to embark into Valk. damn those lizard parties are the worst.

only thing that should be a concern is CHR factor, which if i read right, really doesnt factor in until you HNM. sides its not like Galka are the bottom of the barrel of CHR. altho theyre close
            =====================

Cover me in BBQ sauce cause im Hot as hell....

Comment

Yeah - resists WILL happen. Unless you're seriously deficient in charisma, they'll happen close to about the same regardless if you're toting around 2 million in super expensive gear, or if you're using basic solid gear for your level. *Insert standard skill greater than whatever comment here* Generally Bard is a cheap class - there are some things that are pricey - for us - but compared to what a lot of other jobs spend, its really not that bad.

Of course, compared to a lot of other jobs, your ability to farm is very, very limited as a Bard.

The main talent you develop as a bard - at least from where I stand - is an understanding of the rythmn of a party. Knowing when is the best time to buff, when you should take the time to debuff, when you'll need a break to cure, that sort of thing. A lot of people tend to focus on just their jobs, but as a Bard you generally start to pick up on the tempo that the party itself works at. Generally I would figure in about at what point the skillchain would start, and throw out a Minuet III to overwrite the Madrigal, leaving our SATA launcher with both attack boosts to deal out major damage (improvement of Dancing Edge from about 700 average to around 850 average).

Bard is probably the easiest job to say what you need to do in order to do well (buffs, buffs buffs) but its the hardest to really give a feel for. Every bard will tend to have their own playing style, and every bard has a different sense for how each party works. The best way to learn is to experience it for yourself.

As for Valkrum, 11 is where you start to shine. With no other means of raising accuracy, Sword Madrigal really helps kick people into high gear.
              ~~~Rune Grey~~~
              Bard 67/WHM33 Bastok Rank 8
              All AF [x]

Genkai 1 - 4 = Complete!
              Current Zilart Mission=14
              Sky Pass=Obtained!

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
                Brd actually can use some skills and concentration. I have a few bards that, while they do their job running around singing the appropriate songs, their timing was so bad that actually annoyed me.

A good bard should always keep the music up and switch em accordingly. For example give the melee ballad near the end of a fight if there's PLD DRK or sing peon when their HP is low, and re-sing melee songs next fight. Making sure mages are 100% recieving ballad at all times, throw some debuff at the right time like elegy at the beginning and the right threnody before skillchains. Help with finaring when mobs buff itself up, some simple stuff like those believe it or not some bards can't... they just, can't.

A Galka in an XP PT is a little, very little, disadvantage due to their limited MP which means less cure/help they can provide when needed. It's not critical tho. But when it comes to a more serious fight like boss/BC battles such as BCNM, ENM, or dynamis, Galka will really shines. BRD are guaranteed to be attacked. And a Taru BRD will go down fast if they are not careful.
                This is what I really mean, that you can't just make up for being a galka with equipment, regardless of race you are, you must still play your job correctly and effeciently to be fully useful. You would need the skills and concentration, especially since you might get tired of the animation of the songs or the same songs you are playing, you must keep your cool and continue to sing on time and the right songs and make sure the right peopel get them.

I completly agree with Jei.
                RDM 50/SAM 38/WAR 24/BLM 27/WHM 30/SMN 50/DRG 23/NIN 20/MNK14/PLD14/BRD12
                Shiva,Ifrit,Ramuh,Leviathan,Garuda,Titan Obtained.

Comment

Working...
                X