X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Attempt on Maat---was I unlucky??

Hey there,

Went with my 2nd attempt for Maat last night...here was my gear:

Bone Knife +1 (could use Bloody Rapier but same dmg and slower weapon)
    Hamelin Flute (for evasion)
    Carapace Helm
    Spike Necklace (Wind Torque for singing Elegy at start)
    Minstrel's Earring
    Melody Earring
    Carapace Breastplate
    Choral Cuffs
    2 Phalanx Rings
    Rep. Army Mantle (Jester Cape +1 for Elegy at start)
    Life Belt (Corsette +1 for Elegy at start)
    Choral Cannions
    AF Boots (forget name for them atm)

I brought along my Horn +1 for Elegy +2, my Ebony Harp +1 for Paeon +2, and Hamelin Flute for Requiem +2 and Evasion +3.

Entered circle w/ Opo-Opo Necklace equipped and slept w/ 4 potions to 100%TP.
    Ate boiled crab, use Hi-Reraiser (26k gil doh!), drank Persikos au Lait.
    Used 2HR and sang double Paeon.
    Engaged Maat and ran close enough to him just to Elegy followed by Requiem.
    Switched to my attack gear (whats listed above) and proceeded to SC Cyclone>>Icarus Wing>>Cyclone which did significant damage to him.

The HP regen from the Au Lait and Paeons was enough to keep my HP full at the start...he wasnt hitting hard enough or fast enough for me to need any potions...but here is where things went BAAAAADDD.

He was sitting around a little more than 75% HP after my Skillchain. Shortly after my SC, Maat decided to use Howling Fist on me for about 385dmg which hurt bad.

I used an X-Potion and got 150HP of it back, and then my double Paeon from the start wore off (I shoulda re-casted it the moment I was done with my SC but this being my 2nd Maat attempt I didnt realize that). Shortly after Paeons wearing off me, Elegy wore off Maat, my 2nd mistake...I know.

Aside from my Paeons wearing off, and Maat's Elegy wearing off (which is a big thing)....I still dont understand why what happened next happened.

So I'm still trying to regain my HP from losing Paeons and taking 380+dmg from Howling Fists...and I'm sitting around 50%HP. I recast Elegy and my Paeons and chug a couple X-Potions and get back to about 75%HP while he's still bashing on me.

Here's the bad stuff...
    Spinning Slash to me for about 185dmg followed by finale'ing off my Re-raise, doh!
    He then attacks me about 6 regular hits.
    Then he attempts Dragon Kick and misses.
    Then there is some comment from him about how I aint ready and need to come back when I've wiped my face off, something like that.
    After his missed Dragon Kick and his comment to me, he hit me 1 time with regular hit then does Asuran Fists for about 385dmg and I am left with 75HP and I chug an X-Potion...and he follows up with ANOTHER Asuran Fists for 190dmg and I DIE!!

So...Spinning Slash, 6 regular attacks, Dragon Kick (miss), 1 regular attack, Asuran Fists, no break again Asuran Fists.

Isnt that a little MUCH??? 4 freakin TP moves on me within about 30secs...3 of those moves with only 1 regular attack seperating them.

Is this guy a Bard/Monk or a Bard/Monk/Samurai???

So I'm gonna try this again. This time when I'm done with my cyclone>>cyclone I'm gonna recast Paeons and Elegy before Soul Voice runs out which should help drastically.

Aside from doing that to make sure I dont lose Paeons and he doesnt lose Elegy...what else can I do to make the fight go better? Was I just unlucky on the weaponskills he used on me? I've watched a video or two of the Bard Maat fight (one of them with Mushi's) and there wasnt ANYTHING like that craziness in their fight where he did 4 WSs in 30secs.

Any ideas? Thx in advance for reading such a long post...I didnt want to leave anything out that might help someone help me.

From what I read and my experience, G5 with Maat is luck.
    I went to fight Maat at lv67, dagger skill ~175 and evasion skill ~180(?) and won.

Stun Knife +1 (He was stunned like 6 to 7 times and that's a lot)
    Hamelin Flute (my marco was set to equip it after each song ended) and other +1 instruments
    Carapace Helm
    Spike Necklace
    Minstrel's Earring
    Melody Earring
    Carapace Breastplate
    Choral Cuffs
    2 Phalanx Rings
    The lv61 Mantle for Attack I think
    Life Belt
    Choral Cannions
    AF Boots

Went in, sleep to 100%, ate a wing. Soul Voice, Paeonx2, move in further to see what Maat is singing... happened to be Etude lol

Took a selbina milk, went in Elergy Maat then did a cyclone and Requiem.

He finaled me a lot and I kept taking selbina milk. He missed a lot and somehow I landed 2-3 critical hit on him, one up to 120pt damage O.o

Maat dropped down to 3/4 HP. By now I think I took 2-3 Hi-potion.

He said something like he has finished warm-up. My HP was yellow so I panic seeing what he said and took a Hi-potion +3. He did a weak WS that took my full HP back to "high" yellow.

I forgot to rebuff my Paeons before soul voice is over.

He then sang a lot Dex Etude and Elergy on me. I didn't even bother Finale him and just took more hi-potion once my HP was yellow. Since we both were elergy-ed, it was like a staring contest.

Maat gave up at 2/5 to 1/4 HP. I used 9 hi-potions and 1 hi-potion +3.

The only song I keep repeating is Requiem.

So as you see, it is luck. Don't give up!!!! Good luck!

Comment

What level are you? I fought him at 67 (lost) and 70 (won), and he missed me a LOT more at 70. If you're not at 70 yet, go level until you are, first - it certainly won't hurt to have as favorable a relative level as possible.

Secondly, how skilled up are your dagger (by the by, use Stun Knife or +1 ... the chance to stun is worth the expense) and evasion skills? Or sword, if you plan to use a sword to melee him. Although Requiem is your main source of damage, your next main source is your dinky little weapon hits. Try to have 200+ (at least 190+) in the weapon you use, and preferably 180+ or 190+ evasion too.

Use Finale. If he's missing a buff, he'll piss away a hefty portion of the battle rebuffing himself, and all you sacrifice is 2-3 seconds to finale it away. I'd say he spent a quarter of my fight with him buffing himself, and missed as much as he hit when he did hit me. (He WS'd me twice, Dragon Kick both times.)

Consider using Hi-Potions but in greater quantity - if I'm correctly informed (I may not be, as I've never tried using one), their usage time is shorter than X-Potions. I just spammed them if I needed to, but for the most part double SV (Ebony Harp +1) Paeon + Selbina Milk was quite sufficient to keep me healthy, considering his miss rate.

Know when your Soul Voice will run out and rebuff before then. You know this already, but do it anyway. Recast Elegy and Requiem before Soul Voice wears off too (not sure if it resets their durations or not, but if it does, it's useful, and if it doesn't, it's only a few seconds of weak bard melee you've lost). Recast Elegy and Requiem whenever they wear off, whether Soul Voice is up or not, obviously.

His Finale can dispel any of your buffs, including SV'd paeons and reraise (so don't burn another 26K on a Hi-Reraiser). If you're lucky, it'll hit the Regen effect from Selbina Milk, so drink that anyway. Instead of 50% odds of Finale'ing one Paeon and 50% odds of Finale'ing the other, it's 33% odds of each, and 33% odds of Finale'ing the cheap Selbina Milk. Even though it's far from guaranteed or even probable, it's better than being guaranteed to lose a Paeon.

Basically this battle is about endurance, letting Requiem kill him off while you keep yourself alive. Finale is helpful for this purpose since (as I already mentioned) it makes him waste more time singing, which is good for you. Maintain your buffs and debuffs, heal when needed, WS when you can, and hit as much as possible in the meantime.

As for his WS spamming, remember that he has TP too, and he'll get TP from landing a WS on you, especially one like Asuran Fists (and who's to say his TP gain from that is nerfed down to 1% TP for all hits after the first, like a real MNK's is?). He also gains TP from hitting you period, which is why it's always helpful to dodge.

One viable alternative strategy is to forego paeons altogether, pick up a Gemshorn +1 and a pile of evasion and evasion skill equipment, and go with double mambo instead. If he can't hit you, he can't very well get TP from hitting you, can he? (He'll still get TP from you hitting him, and the hits he does land, but it'll be a lot slower.)

Anyway, good luck with Maat when you try him a third time.
      Averter of the Apocalypse~
      Unique quests complete: 330-something, keep losing count.
      Mission plot lines complete: Windurst, Bastok, San d'Oria, Zilart, Promathia.
      Maps not yet obtained: Promyvion-Dem, Promyvion-Mea, Promyvion-Holla, Promyvion-Vahzl, Sacrarium.

Comment

I've heard that Minne works much better on Maat than Paeon does, actually - just stack Minne with a +1 insturment and rely on potions for your healing. Also, when using selbina milk, try and take it last - that way its the last 'layer' of buff that you have on you, so when he hits you with Finale it will always take the milk off before any of your other buffs.

But, that's just what I've heard from some high level bards - take it with a pinch of salt, considering how far I've gotten.
        ~~~Rune Grey~~~
        Bard 67/WHM33 Bastok Rank 8
        All AF [x]

Genkai 1 - 4 = Complete!
        Current Zilart Mission=14
        Sky Pass=Obtained!

Comment

Tarutaru brd at lvl 70 (First attempt):

Hornetneedle
          Hamelin Flute, Horn +1, Ebony Harp +1
          Carapace Body
          Carapace Head
          Spike Necklace
          JSE earring
          Melody Earring
          Best VIT Rings
          Anemit Mantle
          Lifebelt
          AF feet, legs and hands

18x Hi potion, 2x Hi potion +1

-Opened with Soul Voice x2 Paeon
          -Elegy, requiem and finale
          -Ate Selbina milk
          -Faught til 100% TP, ate Boiled crab after realizing i hadn't used it yet (no need for potions yet)
          -Cyclone > Icarus Wing > Cyclone took him to 50%
          -First WS requires 1 Hi potion
          -Redid Paeons, elegy and requiem
          -Next WS requires a Hi potion
          - Hi potion used from melee dmg and cuz i didn't wanna keep them all
          -Maat dies

Comment

I'll throw the salt on the finale rumor - just like your own finale, Maat's finale removes a randomly selected buff. Of course, if you don't use Selbina Milk, then it's 100% chance that it'll be one of your two songs, while if you do use Selbina Milk, it's only 67% chance that it'll be one of your two songs. So it's still worth using even though the probability's still not in your favor. It's just less extremely out of your favor than before.

Minne vs. Paeon ... considering how much he whiffed on me, my double SV (Ebony Harp +1) paeons, plus the dinky 1 HP from Selbina Milk, were doing almost all of the healing for me. I really only had to use potions when he got crits and used WS, otherwise I was topped off in a few ticks. Minne, like Mambo, is worth considering.

There are many ways of beating Maat - you could probably even do it with an offensive strategy where you load down with melee DD gear and double Minuet yourself.
            Maps not yet obtained: Promyvion-Dem, Promyvion-Mea, Promyvion-Holla, Promyvion-Vahzl, Sacrarium.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. BTW my profile levels arent updated...just noticed that. I'm 70BRD with 221 dagger skill (223 is cap I think) and 209 sword skill (210 is cap I think). I spent almost a week helping friends get testimonies, helping anyone do anything that required killing something Decent Challenge to Tough, and skilling up those weapons. Also, I have a 61PLD so my evasion is almost 200 but uncapped...but must be somewhere near the cap. Parry and shield are maxed, and I did parry a few of Maats attacks (probably 2-3) but I didnt take a shield because of the cost of Elegant Shield. The price history for it was 70k across all sales but I tried as much as 91k and some asshat put the only 2 up for sale at more than that even. 25% markup wtf??!!

Anyways...here's how attempt #3 went last night:

Equip used:

Stun Knife for initial skillchain then switched to Bloody Rapier
              Hamelin Flute (for evasion)
              Carapace Helm
              Spike Necklace (Wind Torque for singing Elegy at start)
              Minstrel's Earring
              Melody Earring
              Carapace Breastplate
              Choral Cuffs
              2 Phalanx Rings
              Rep. Army Mantle (Jester Cape +1 for Elegy at start)
              Life Belt (Corsette +1 for Elegy at start)
              Choral Cannions
              AF Boots (forget name for them atm)

Entered circle and used Sleeping Potions w/ Opo-Opo Necklace to reach 100%TP.
              Used Fish Chiefkabob and Persikos au Lait.
              2HR'd and used double Paeon.
              Switched to CHR gear and Elegy/Requiem from afar and he came at me.
              Switched to Attack gear and Finale'd.
              Cyclone>>Icarus Wing>>Cyclone
              Switched to Bloody Rapier (so I wouldnt give him TP as fast and have the chance to drain some HP during attack)
              Switched to CHR gear and Finale, Elegy, Requiem again.
              Switched back to Attack gear and double Paeon again.
              About this time Soul Voice ran out but everything had just been perfectly refreshed on myself and Maat with Soul Voice active.
              Finale again (dont think it removed anything here).
              Elegy again (just for the hell of it so I'm singing and not hitting giving him TP)

I couldnt have envisioned a more perfect fight. At one point he used finale on me I think ONE TIME and removed my au Lait and I put that right back up. Another time he used One Inch Punch which was the only WS he used and it only did about 180dmg to me. I used an X-Potion and was right back to 90%HP.

I think I learned the key to beating Maat though for Bard. He pretty much mimics what you do. If you dont sing much he wont either and you'll give him TP and he'll get TP and kick your butt with WSs. If you're singing like crazy and keep all songs on him and yourself up at all times that is the main flag for winning I think. Doing so (keeping Requiem on him 100% of the time and Soul Voice requiem 100% if possible) is the other flag for winning because it'll kick his arse by the 7min mark.

At 7mins 0sec he was at about 25%HP with me at 100%HP. I never dropped below about 780HP and that was from the 1 WS he used.

All told I used:
              2 Hi-Potions, 2 X-Potions, 2 Persikos au Lait, 1 Icarus Wing

Thats it. Was the easiest fight I could imagine. It couldnt have been done any more efficiently I dont believe. What fun! Wish I woulda recorded it for people to review as it might help someone...but alas.

Thanks everyone for the help...glad that's over!

Oh, one last thing of note. I had my attack macro sorta messed up cause it would re-equip my dagger when I wanted to have my sword out. So I never built up any TP again the entire fight after the initial double cyclone skillchain. Since Maat sorta mimics what you do, I wonder if he didnt also lose TP when I did. Who knows...he was sure a wimp last night though!

Comment

Also, I agree about the order your songs are finale'd off. My 2nd attempt when I used a Hi-Reraiser I used it in the middle of all the buffs and it was one of the first things to get removed. I've used my milk/au Lait before singing paeons and most of the time the milk/au Lait gets removed even though the paeons were the last things I put up on myself.

I think that its random, but at the same time I think that each buff has a priority. Paeon has priority over milk/au Lait thus it has a greater chance of remaining active. It still CAN be remove while your milk/au Lait remains, but the chance that Paeons will remain is still greater. Its probably something like this:

Juices = .5 Finale Resist
                Reraise = .5 Finale Resist
                Songs = 1.0 Finale Resist

Then it does a server-side dice roll type thing to give a value to each one...multiples the value by the finale resist bonus, and whichever one has the lowest returned value gets finale'd off you.

Thats my guess for how it works.

Comment

Congratulations! Now go get 75!

(Of course, I'm one to talk, I've been pissing around between 70 and 75 for months now... 12K left to go, I should just get it over with.)

Comment

Still waiting on the RDM from my static to beat Maat. He and I were the last two needing to finish it. We're currently without a tank...we have to get pickup tanks and it sucks.

Once we're all done w/ Maat though, we've got a few item quests to work out still. We need to kill the phantom worm a time or two for tathlums. We need to get a coffer key from Toramarai Canal and find the coffer to get a Jester Card...so I can eventually get a Promise Badge to give to our RDM when he's not using his Enfeebling Torque. We might even be past the level that he can make use of that when not using the torque...I'll have to check into that soon.

Plus, I'd still like to camp for Minstrel's Coat and my items I cant buy for Opo-Opo Crown.

So....there'll be plenty of camping for items going on once we're all done with Maat. It'll be awhile before 75 for me

Comment

You've also got a rare-ex Shoalweed off Recluse Spiders in Kuftal, standing between you and a Promise Badge. Just FYI.

But still, I think it's arguably preferable to have other stuff that you can do instead of level. When you've already done all the alternative stuff and it's just pure exp gathering ... it gets a bit monotonous. In my opinion anyway.

Still, you have lots of interesting (and not so interesting) things to do to look forward to, so you should have fun with at least some of that. By the by, you can use Novv's placeholders to skill up your less-used weapon skills - they're about the same level as AF coffer key enemies in other places, so you should be able to get to the low 200's on them.

Comment

I've done the Shoalweed already...its in my moghouse safe waiting to be used when it can be. I just need the darned Joker Card right now...

Comment

YAY!! I finally Beat Maat ^^^^^^^^ sooooo happy

I went in naked wearing stumbling Sandals. When I went into the battle room I swapped to all Evasion gear again(Empress hairpin,Aketon,Evasion torque(actually Opo Opo necklace during sleep time),Evasion gloves,combat casters +1,Life Belt,Bard shoes,Wing Sword,ect.....double Mambo +2hr. I forgot to re-equip the Evasion torque ><

Fighting Maat wass even easier o.O
                          He missed me even More...(when he did hit..it was hard ;
                          He didnt use double asuran fist this time..only Combo, and some other weaker WS....

I dont know if the rumors are true about Maat basing his skills with yours before the fight..but it worked for me. ^^

Mentioned earlier,someone said Maat can be anywhere from level 65-70....maybe this is based on our stats and me naked wearing those Stumbling Sandals...he might have been at 65 or so I believe... as compared to the last couple of ffights (lost last time to double Asuran Fists back to back ; ;and he hit harder last time too..might have been around 70ish or so)...

Thanks for the advice and even though this is a rumor..I would recommend anyone fighting Maat to do as I did with the Naked/Stumbling shoes method). ^^^

Yay..cant wait for Chocobo song ^^

Comment

I'm so scared to fighting Maat... Even right now, I am reading all these messages and to learning more, I am so nervious... :sweat:

I will try anything if I can win! But maybe not enter naked~ I'll wearing my yukata.

Soonyi.
                            75Brd . 37Whm . 22Smn

"Seeing or hearing things the same way isn't important... Sharing the same moments in your life is." - Romilda, Port Bastok.

www.tempestls.net

Comment

I beat him on my 5th try. lol

-------------------------------------

1st try: Didn't have 300 tp
                              2nd try: Lullaby doesn't work too well
                              3rd try: I forgot
                              4th try: Ran out of time

----------------------------------

Here's what you need, and don't be stingy about buying this stuff.

1) A stack of sleep potions
                              2) Opo-opo necklace
                              3) 20 Hi-potions
                              4) Carapace helm and body armor
                              5) Steamed crab
                              6) Icuraus Wing
                              7) Vial Elixir / +1
                              8) Hi-Reraiser
                              9) Selbina milk
                              10) Blink band

#7 is optional, but it's in case you really need it (ie. Maat's WS )

---------------------------

Go into burning, put carapace on, opo on, use wing, use sleep potions to 300% tp, use crab and milk, use 2hr, paeon IV + III urself, sing elegy, requiem, finale on maat, and use blink band. And FIGHT! Use Spirits within, use hi-potions as necessary, and when u think ur 2hr will run out, make sure u get requiem and paeon III+IV off again, otherwise u run the risk of losing. When he does ws on u, spam those potions or that elixir while requeim kills him and u're done. Also, use milk again when he does finale on u. U should easily win now unless u miss 50% of the time.
                              Blink band is crucial for u to win, it can be used every 30 seconds. Trust me, this is your key to winning as well as 300% tp.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X