This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lushipur

but i thinked that with a good boost of chr (+34 from etude) will do the same ;_;
    its your actual level that matters.
    Wandering Minstrel~

Comment

Let's put it this way. As far as resists go ...

Level
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      chr-n-skill
      Averter of the Apocalypse~
      Unique quests complete: 330-something, keep losing count.
      Mission plot lines complete: Windurst, Bastok, San d'Oria, Zilart, Promathia.
      Maps not yet obtained: Promyvion-Dem, Promyvion-Mea, Promyvion-Holla, Promyvion-Vahzl, Sacrarium.

Comment

Imho my Military harp is pretty much only for show. Its the chocolate teapot of instruments.

It doesnt seem to do anything of use, Aura golems still resist a finale every hour or so with hnms generally more so. /shrug.
        Sebazy - Taru Brd/Snob - Midgardsormr

Comment

so i wasted 400k

but i love to buy new instruments, especially harps *_*
          Nick: Lushipur
          Race: Elvaan Male
          Job: WHM37/BLM17/BRD73/BST17/SMN8/RDM6
          Server: Fairy
          Linkshell: Excalibur
          Rank San d'oria: 10
          Rank Windurst: 5
          Rank Bastok: 5
          ZM: 13
          COP: 2.5

Comment

Originally posted by Lythe
            I'm 63 with 196 Wind and Singing Skill and something like 88 string Skill.

I tried debuffing a crab in teriggan using Carnage Elegy when I was lvl 59 using a Harp... of course that didn't work. I had +40 Chr btw. But of course it landed with my Wind instrument.

So the 100+ skill difference caused the resist on the wind instrument.

So... Skill has effects on debuffs and buffs... Chr only has effects on debuffs

IMO, I think 1 Skill = 2 CHR in terms of debuffing

So the only way to maximize the debuffing/buffing is to alternate equipments (between CHR and Skill), and calculate what is needed for either of the situations.

Example... Wind Torque Vs. opo-opo crown
            14 Chr vs. 14 Chr in terms of debuffing
            7 Skill vs 0 Skill in terms of buffing
            (If the theory is correct, Wind Torque wins)
            err.. resuming an old topic.. but.. were u using Horn or Horn +1 when u swtich back to wind instrument... The instrument actually have +1 to the song, and we all know how big a factor instrument is to our song.
            Brd 67/ Whm 42 / Blm 26
            Clothcraft 72.0

Comment

Originally posted by Faranim
              The reason why so many are confused over this is that you often forget one thing that prevails ENTIRELY throughout FFXI:

Your ACTUAL JOB LEVEL is also used to determing if a song lands or not.

Ever leveled a melee job? Ever notice how gaining one level can turn difficult monsters into cake? It's not because of the 1 extra STR and DEX you got, or the extra equipment... it's because of the level.

This is why if you had a level 65 BRD and 75 BRD with identical skill and CHR stats, the 75 BRD would win hands down.
              Well since we are bringing up dead threads, guess I'll point out the Actual Job Level when I level a melee job doesn't change the outcome really if I only gained 1 level. Heck if I wear gear to reduce the extra stats I got from the level the damage and difficulty is still exactly the same.

The only point I notice myself do better is after my skill has reached past a certain point. Even then I've noticed that I can improve my abilities to cover a few level. I know there has to be a factor people are not considering, perhaps a hidden effect in the gear or something else thats changes the effects.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Its great to see so many BRDs who want to be the best that they can, yet dissapointing that there is no concrete proof provided by S.E. on how it all works.

Oddly nobody has mentioned the slightly more pragmatic approach that both CHR and Skill are required. You would probably do just as well with a nicely balanced setup rather than having lots of CHR or lots of Skill during normal EXP.

I know I'm only level 59 but my skill is ALWAYS maxed out on both Wind and String unless I go up a level, then after roughly 8,000 EXP they are both maxed out again. I can't believe nobody else is in this situation?

Again, being slightly more pragmatic, its not like having a BRD in your team who doesn't have +99 CHR and maxed skills causes a significant depreciation in party performance as the BRD is just 1 job in 6 and insanely poweful anyway.

Muse over.
                - Never Underestimate The Power Of A Duck!
                Dux Dux, Lallafel, Odin
                My Profile On Lodestone

Comment

I thought for a while that +skill and +chr was the way to go, because you see what the results of other jobs maxing out attack and having no +str, or maxing out defense and having no +vit are. This is true for exp parties, but nobody really knows for sure vs. Gods. The really hard HNM/Gods are so hard to debuff anyway, that I still can't tell if my wind torque helps more than my star necklace. But up until 75, I found a balance between +skill and +chr to work the best.

As far as +skill goes, there's definitely some threshold between your level (skill level/raw stats) vs. a mobs, and when you pass that threshold your resist rate goes waaaay down. I remember leveling on tormentors and getting resisted on elegy about 30-40% of the time, playing earth threnody first. Then I ding, without even capping skill first, and start landing elegy 90% of the time without threnody with the same exact gear.

Now that is my guess while Gods are so ridiculously hard to debuff, because right now they're over that threshold. Adding all +chr seems to help a bit, but in order to land songs on them with any consistency you'd need to be higher than lvl75.

I think Vilurum hit the nail on the head with the "2 types of mobs".

my $.02

Comment

Working...
                  X