X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LadyKiKi
    replied
    Re: Right job?

As a new player and only level 30 I don't think he needs to think about HP+zerging yet, as a DRK. Nor is he going to be tanking high end stuff.

When he gets there he can think about it.

To address his soloing issue, as a 30DRK fighting EP, depending on subjob, thanks to DRK's all-around-useless spells aside from Drain and Aspir at that level, Drain being limited to NOT undead mobs with an 1 minute recast, and Aspir being limited to mobs that have MP, and the slow swing speed for their proficient 2-handed weapons, then yes it's going to be quite easy to die.

Sub RDM or WHM and bring a crossbow with bloodbolts, somewhat costly but will help you live a bit, but also means you have to level up Marksmanship.

Leave a comment:

• Malacite
    replied

Originally posted by LadyKiKi View Post
    In a nutshell, it doesn't matter. /sea all <race> <job> does not determine anything. There are high end people of all races of all jobs that do the job perfectly. As long as you have the proper support/party setup and the required gear (more HP gear for tarutaru or MP gear for galka; people will use gear to offset their race weaknesses initially but as they get more comfortable with the job they'll use/obtain the "de facto" gear for their job) and learn to play the job better you'll get along fine.

Generally yes, but he's picking between the 2 jobs in the game that both prioritze HP above all else at end game...

Not for every situation, but HP is what matters most for a DRK when zerging and there are some mobs that just hit a PLD too damn hard for DEF and VIT to really matter (hi2u tiamat >_>)

My advice is to just play both jobs and see which one you like better. DRK is an offensive class while PLD is defensive, so you're playing opposite ends of the spectrum.

Leave a comment:

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied

Level what you like, just don't skip needed support jobs.

PLD: /WAR and /NIN are essential. /RDM and /DNC can be quite helpful.

DRK: /WAR, /SAM, and /NIN are essential. Not as certain on what else is good for the majority, but seen /WHM and /DNC put to good use.

If you have room in your heart to love more than one job, try to level jobs from different general categories; DD, tank, support role, and healer. This will give you more options when it comes to doing missions, quests, BS/KS battlefields, etc.

Some jobs are hybrid or polymorphic in nature and straddle different classifications, but not all hybrid jobs are equally wanted in all situations. Currently, RDM (support/healer) is probably the most desirable of all hybrid jobs due to its versatility and ease to work with, followed by COR (support/DD) due to its orthogonal buffs and rarity in the player base. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict DNC will be the next hybrid job to become well received. (Not that I'm saying you should level RDM, COR, or DNC, but they are not bad jobs to have.)

Anyway, back to the important stuff: level a job you like, and make sure you have all the needed support jobs for it leveled to 37. After that, consider leveling another job you like, in a different category if possible.

Leave a comment:

• Emerik
    replied

Originally posted by LadyKiKi View Post
    What level were you when you killed the easy prey? At high levels it is somewhat common/ok to nearly die on them.
    I'm level 30. I just got WAR to 30 on my 14 Day Trial, and i just got DRK to 30 a few day's ago.
    I suppose i should give PLD a shot this time around, last time i played when CoP came out (Few years ago)
    I did enjoy healing people and such with WHM. Perhaps i should beat around with the 3 some.

Leave a comment:

• Mog
    replied

Play the race you like the most and play the job you like the most. It really doesn't matter. Note the jobs I have below and I'm a tarutaru ingame.

Leave a comment:

• Takelli
    replied

There is no best job/race combonations. Since you are looking into a Pld, or a Drk, I will list the pros and cons.

Pld:
    High Defense.
    Good survivability.
    Has an array of white magic spells to use.
    Has the best sword skill in game.
    Actually makes use of their shields.
    Can deal damage with a Great Sword.
    Takes a while to kill most stuff solo.
    Has auto refresh.

Drk:
    High attack power.
    Has an array of Black magic spells.
    Along with those dark magic spells, they can even drain the mobs stats.
    Lower survivability until higher levels (Where Drain and Aspir start counting.)
    Kils fairly fast.
    Very low defense, unles geard defensivly.
    No auto refresh.
    Can get one shotted by a few monsters.
    Can use a Great Axe, Scyth, and Great sword effectivly.
    Low accuracy, maening less attacks will connect. (Need to gear up in Dex, and Acc gear in lower lvl parties.)

Also... As a Paladin you will get a lot of invites to parties fairly quickly. As a Dark Knight, not so much, but you will still gain a good amount.

A Paladin will be tanking for a party as well, but a Drk will be doing damage for a party (Can even tank in a few situation if need be)

Leave a comment:

• Firewind
    replied

What you have to remember that Easy Prey mobs are called that because they are a few levels lower than you. An Easy Prey mob to a Lv75 might be Even match to a 70 and IT to a Lv60.

The difficulty rating for a mob doesn't really reflect on how deadly it can be too especially taking into account your job. If you aren't a WHM then you would probably want to avoid fighting stuff then can spam magic and status effects on you but you wouldn't use a WHM fight a mob that has an incredibly high attack speed.

Leave a comment:

• Nuriko
    replied

Really, PLD is a lot more survivable than most things ... what sort of problems were you having? It also may matter what sort of mob you were fighting. In any case, the real XP is often to be found in parties, not solo.

Leave a comment:

• LadyKiKi
    replied

In a nutshell, it doesn't matter. /sea all <race> <job> does not determine anything. There are high end people of all races of all jobs that do the job perfectly. As long as you have the proper support/party setup and the required gear (more HP gear for tarutaru or MP gear for galka; people will use gear to offset their race weaknesses initially but as they get more comfortable with the job they'll use/obtain the "de facto" gear for their job) and learn to play the job better you'll get along fine.

What level were you when you killed the easy prey? At high levels it is somewhat common/ok to nearly die on them.

Leave a comment:

• Emerik
    started a topic Right job?

Right job?

I seem to be in a pinch right now. I can't decide if i wanna be a DRK or a PLD. I am Tarutaru, through /sea all Tarutaru PLD. There seems to be a large number of Tarutaru's who enjoy PLD(around 60 when i last looked) and a even less(Around 10) who enjoy DRK.

With this iv noticed i do die very easy, i was killing a Easy Prey monster and i did almost die. To me that's very embarrassing, and I'm slowly shying away from the class. I would goto a magic class but they do cost a lot mid to endgame. And I'm just starting out so i don't have any Gil. I try to get what i can when it does come to getting the armor/weapons and stuff i need.

Can anyone give me any advice to make this easier on me? Id rather not take up a magic class, and I'm really thinking of taking my DD trading it for Survivability. Please share your ideas and comments, everyone on my Linkshell and Friends list seems to have a Biased opinion. I'm asking for a unbiased opinion by posting this.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X