Things not to do with/to Spells and Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things not to do with/to Spells and Songs

Bio - OK people. I don't know how many times we've been over this, but here it is again.

If someone casts Dia, 9 times out of 10, the person who cast Dia will hate you for casting Bio right afterward. Light and Dark elemental magic cancel each other out. Always have. Dia gives a defense down effect, Bio gives an attack down effect. While Attack Down is nice, many people find ways to mitigate damage along the course of EXP and levelling, so lowering the defense of the mob tends to be more important than decreasing the damage it deals.

Unless its a really nasty mob and you can stack some attack down from other sources, best to lay off the Bio. Yeah, I know you think you need skillups. Use Drain and Aspir for dark magic skillups, speaking of which...

Drain - Drain can break Sleep. Aspir does not. If someone slept something, they did so for a reason. Don't siphon off HP from a mob just because you're to lazy to cure yourself. Use Drain if you're sure it will kill the mob in EXP.

Sleep and Bind - OK, melees, I got a real bone to pick with you over these. Doesn't matter if I'm RNG, COR or SCH - you guys find a way to screw this up.

When someone sleeps or binds something, there's a REASON - they're protecting the party from a potential threat. Don't play hero and smack the mob they just bound or slept because you're just creating more problems for the party. Leave it be and finish the current fight.

Also, a bound mob turns its attention to the nearest target, regardless of hate. If someone binds a mob, don't be a moron and stand next to it. Move away or it will hit you.

Elegy and Slow - Elegy and Slow are awesome spells for every mob that does not do ranged attacks. I've seen RDMs and BRDs use these spells on RNG mobs - it does not work. Ranged attacks cannot be slowed down, and that brings me to another point about RNG.

March and Haste - This does not work on RNGs, it does not stack with Velocity Shot or Snapshot merits. I don't care who told you otherwise, they lied.

If you're going to buff a RNG, BRDs, buff RNGs with something they can use. Minuet and STR Etudes are hot. Everyone else - March away (except joyeuseless CORs, in that event, Prelude or Minuet is fine.

Prelude - Bards, never prelude a RNG, its insulting. Prelude CORs and SAMs with ranged weapons. Again, Minuets and STR Etudes.

SCH, Accession Enspells and DNCs - OK, SCHs, do you want the DNC to use Sambas or not? Enspells overwrite the effects of Sambas. If you do Accession Enspells, make sure the PT or DNC is OK with that and that they're doing well enough without things like Drain, Aspir or Haste Samba before doing so.

Storm Spells - OK, while I'm at it about SCH stuff - remember that Storm Spells can be used to help a PT, but that they can also be abused. Don't cast the opposing elemental Storm spell when its obvious that they're using another. Not unless they've pissed you off in some way.

Never -aga a colibri - If you have a AoE of any kind, don't use it on colibri, especially you BRD guys. Colibri like to mimic spells. Yeah, I know you want to keep the chain and Foe Lullaby isn't back up yet, but its a dangerous gamble. Its also not polite for BLMs to Thundaga III the Greater Colibri, not unless the people there pissed you off in some way

Wind Magic on Puks - Again, this heals Puks. I don't care if its a wind spell or a wind skillchain - don't do it on puks.

------------------------------

OK, got my rants out. If you got anything of your own to add, feel free to throw it in.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-16-2008, 10:01 PM.

Re: Things not to do with/to Spells and Songs

Doesn't all of this just belong in the Pet Peeve thread? Seems to me like a bunch of pet peeves in a little rant.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

What happened while I was gone BBQ?
      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Doesn't Bio/Dia cancel the other out in this order?

Dia > Bio > Dia II > Bio II

So Dia cannot cancel Bio if it's already on ... =/

You forgot on Puks also: if they take even 1 damage from a spell that matches the element of the day, they get 100% TP and will most likely respond with a TP move.
        [LadyKiKi]
        Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
        .:|The Prototype BST|:.
        Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
          Doesn't all of this just belong in the Pet Peeve thread? Seems to me like a bunch of pet peeves in a little rant.
          Not really, it was intended to spark a different discussion rather than just the raw bitching the peeve thread has.

Originally posted by Balfree
          What happened while I was gone BBQ?
          You went somewhere? Well, other people moderated in your stead. That's about all I can say.

Originally posted by LadyKiki
          Doesn't Bio/Dia cancel the other out in this order?

Toss em at a colibri and get back to us. The point remains, however, that Bio is the inferior of the two spells save for special situations its actually called for.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
            Toss em at a colibri and get back to us. The point remains, however, that Bio is the inferior of the two spells save for special situations its actually called for.
            Sure I'll go do that (when I get home). And yeh I see your point, Bio is normally inferior in an EXP party.
            [LadyKiKi]
            Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
            .:|The Prototype BST|:.
            Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Its also not polite for BLMs to Thundaga III the Greater Colibri, not unless the people there pissed you off in some way
              I think I cast Freeze on a Colibri once.

Was fun.

Comment

You went somewhere? Well, other people moderated in your stead. That's about all I can say.
                I... was kidding?

I should have said something like:

What sort of hell did you go through in-game to be posting this in a manner so blunt it almost seems like you want to brutally mutilate mages all over vanadiel?
                signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                  I think I cast Freeze on a Colibri once.

Was fun.
                  I had a Water Elemental cast Flood on one. XD
                  Luckily it was a party of friends and we were just goofing around. And the PLD didn't die.

Not a problem for Red Mages w/ Dia III! Unless of course you are with a RDM w/ Bio III............but I think by that level a RDM would know better.
                  Last edited by Susurrus; 11-17-2008, 05:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                  Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                  Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                  Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                  Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

I do want to note that casting Slow on a RNG mob is in fact not a bad idea, as they still swing at you when you are in melee range, and once the hit low enough health(except for Qiqirn RNGs I believe) they come to you and begin swinging. Slow won't affect their ranged attacks, but it still slows down their melee rounds.
                    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Might as well add Puks getting extra TP due to the element of the day on that list. Before Dyna yesterday I went on a level sync pt there, on Firesday the RDM was nuking on the side with Fire and it pretty much made me wish I came /THF instead since Shadows were useless.
                      Cleverness - Hades
                      75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                      DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

I would just like to add as a general tip to BLM's and SCH, even if your HP is full Drain will still do full damage so get to it. 100+ damage for 21 MP is pretty nice if you ask me.

EDIT: Also, there's nothing more hilarious (and cruel) than Casting an AM2 on a Colibri followed by Sleepga 2 and warping away lmao.
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Things not to do with spells, hmm . . .

Nope, can't think of anything to add. The one thing that comes to mind is the Dia/Bio thing in EXP, which is already in its rightful spot at the top of the list.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

What not to do with Flash: Not cast it.

Bothers the fuck out of me when a WHM won't use Flash. It's the best thing ever, you'd better fucking use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                              I do want to note that casting Slow on a RNG mob is in fact not a bad idea, as they still swing at you when you are in melee range, and once the hit low enough health(except for Qiqirn RNGs I believe) they come to you and begin swinging. Slow won't affect their ranged attacks, but it still slows down their melee rounds.
                              I should have been more specific on this point.

Yeah, there are RNG mobs that melee when in range, primarily Orc, Gob and Aern RNGs, but also NIN Yags as well. To my knowledge though, Qiqirn and Lamia RNGs go exclusively for ranged attacks. Slowing a Yag NIN goes without saying, it kills thier ninjutsu recast timers.

When i was doing all my recent Lamia No. 13 runs, BRDs always would Elegy the Lamia. It doesn't do much there.

Comment

Working...
                              X