Main Healing Options? WHM/RDM/SCH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Main Healing Options? WHM/RDM/SCH?

I'm all ready pretty fixated on the idea of going SCH/WHM or WHM/SCH. I want the heal+utility but i'd like to have that ocassional dmg to throw in there when my other abilities arn't needed so much so I'm not drooling on myself and SCH seems to fit that very well. I do understand that the SCH doesn't really shine at healing until the upper levels. I can stomach being mainly dmg until I reach that point with him.

SMN/SCH sub or SMN/WHM seems like it would also be up my ally in
    terms of utility/healing and damage dealing. I would like to hear a bit
    more about them in particular with those subs if you folks don't mind=)

Comment

I've met players that were better at making gil coming up than people who've been playing for years. Different people have different means, but if you're gonna go for COR, there's little harm in going with THF and WAR initially.

I'm not even that great at making gil, I've just learned ways to offset my expenses for COR. BST's soloing was a big part of where I got all my seals and gil for RNG and COR. And practically all the best stuff for RNG and COR is given to you free in quests and NM or BCNM fights. If you look at RNG's Relic gun, that's even further proof that SE ackknowledged the expense of these jobs - its the easiest one to complete.

You really just need a plan.

BUt I'm left with the impression the OP doesn't want to get much into melee DD, but he does want to play what he chooses well. If he's not interested in DNC, there's not much hope for COR, They're both supportive roles, but they're still melee-driven.

As for SCH/WHM - that's something I did in the intermediate levels. There's not much call for it early on since you're not healing much pre-30 and functioning similar to a BLM, so /BLM actually serves you better. When you hit the mid 40s and 50s, /WHM will see more opportunities since you can pull buffs from like Blink or Stoneskin from /WHM and use them with Accession, but /WHM falls behind after 68, when SCHs get everything they need in the /RDM subjob.

/RDM get Stoneskin later and thats why it really starts to shine at 68, you'll never need anything from /WHM again because /RDM will expand your spell list considerably and give you everything you need. Enspells, Barspells, Phalanx, Gravity, Fast Cast traits, MAB - it just wins.
      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        SCHs get everything they need in the /RDM subjob.
        Would you recommend leveling up as RDM first if I eventually plan on going the SCH/RDM route? After doing some research after reading your post it certainly seems like the best possible Utility-Heal Hybrid setup.

Comment

Out of the varying healing combination jobs what seems to generally be more in demand at higher levels?
          With level synch this isn't really -that- much of a concern anymore. Though, I'd definitely say RDM is the answer there. They will generally be picked up for a merit party before a WHM, and because of that and their demand in almost all endgame things, RDM is a very popular job. That being said, its also hard to find Red Mages that actually know what they are doing especially in an exp setting. (Just because you CAN use a sword, does not mean you should >< )

If I were you, I'd fiddle around with the various healing jobs you have access to and find out which one you have more fun with. Might even find you don't like any of them and have more fun clobbering stuff as a monk. Don't make a decision just because it'll get pt invites.

Speaking of unlocking COR, I remember when I got it unlocked on my mithra. Back before they moved where the mirrors spawned and wouldn't you know one was sitting right there. 9.9; I don't think I've ever died that much or stayed dead that long. You sure realize how much mithra look like roadkill after that. It is MUCH easier to unlock now than it was.

Would you recommend leveling up as RDM first if I eventually plan on going the SCH/RDM route? After doing some research after reading your post it certainly seems like the best possible Utility-Heal Hybrid setup.
          I'd suggest you level BLM to 18 (because warp is trendy), then RDM/BLM to 37, then take SCH/RDM to 75. You may also want to level WHM to 18 if you want your RDM path to be less painful.
          Last edited by Kyleet; 11-17-2008, 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling 9.9;
          We know the characters aren't real, we just don't care. :3

Comment

Originally posted by Kyleet View Post
            I'd suggest you level BLM to 18 (because warp is trendy), then RDM/BLM to 37, then take SCH/RDM to 75. You may also want to level WHM to 18 if you want your RDM path to be less painful.
            What Kyleet said. I'd also like to add that it's actually worth levelling WHM to 37, the teleport spell will save you a ton of cash in the long run. BLM is nice to have at 29+ for Escape and Tractor as well as Warp too but good luck getting into a party on BLM.
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Honestly, you're going to what WHM, RDM and BLM at 37 for various reasons. As I've said, /RDM comes later in the game, so its not as good as /BLM subs earlier on.

/BLM is probably the most useful til your mid 40s when you can do Accession Blink and Regen II, but /WHM really picks up around 56 since WHM gets Stoneskin much earlier than RDM does. a /RDM would get Stoneskin at 68, at which time you'd get all the best /RDM has to offer. You could go /RDM a little earlier for certain parties for Accession Enspells or Phalanx, but that's about it.

Your only real incentive to go /WHM is for situations you're constantly switching between Light and Dark Art, which would force you to reapply Addendum: White. But since you get Addendum: White at level 10 and Addendum: Black at 30, you're getting comprable spells to WHM status cures directly from using the addendum,

So you're going /BLM for nuke power early on and occasionally using Addendum: White to gain access to status cure to help out.

There is an upside to /WHM at times in that you don't have to Addendum: White and can stay in Dark Arts most of the time, but you'd lose the Magic Attack Bonus trait /BLM would give you, making your nukes not as strong as they could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyleet View Post
                Might even find you don't like any of them and have more fun clobbering stuff as a monk. .
                This definitely won't be the case. I've been playing MMOs in some form or another for about 9 years now(1999.. 10 if you included some betas from 1998)

I've always been a hybrid/utility healing type of some kind I do enjoy those that can / also dps though should the situation call for it. I just enjoy the play style and more often then not requires a lot more fast thinking then just spamming your primary dps skill ability/macro. I like being kept on my toes and also like the fact everyone's life is in my hands /nod

Comment

In that case, RDM and SCH will definitely keep you on your toes.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. It's very much appreciated.

I have a solid idea of what I need to do now.

Comment

SCH is a good job to start with cuz having it you enjoy both fun from WHM and BLM.
                      Sch can sometimes out perform both of them. they gain access to all the -na spells up to stona, they can AOE them, when whm can only do it once every 10 min(divine seal).

I choose rdm to be my first job, it's so far most demanded healer job, after level 32 dispel is very useful on mobs like crawlers, and after 40 convert and refresh makes it very popular, at level 48 they even get haste.

I level whm to 75 as well and had a hard time 40-70, you will find it relatively hard to get a party invite after 40, and cant heal the party efficiently without a bard or rdm in the party. At 50 you will get auto-refresh from smn subjob, but only 1mp/3sec will not help much. after 70 it gets better because of the sch subjob provides you sublimation and refresh gear at 72(noble tunic).

I have all 3 leveled, personally I think RDM and SCH are more fun to play with

Comment

Working...
                      X