Jobs vs. the CoP Level Caps: A discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs vs. the CoP Level Caps: A discussion

I suppose this is a supplementary discussion inspired by the other CoP post I recently made. I've been in CoP mode for well over two weeks now, ultimately getting original wins for a lot of folks. Strain on the gils, but still a good time.

Anyway I wanted to get a discussion going about CoPs and how the caps affect jobs. Sort of as a means to let people know most jobs can work, but also to let people know the limitations they're dealing with, which gives them an idea of how to prepare. I suppose we can leave out uncapped situations though, because honestly, anything can work well there.

Lets start off with our Light Warriors, the six original jobs:

Warrior

30 Cap onward, nothing really deters WAR from being an asset to any CoP missions, though honestly, while some may loathe the use of /NIN, for WAR, its honestly the best sub going in practically all CoP situations. WARs can expect to either be a tank or DD for these missions and should prepare for both.

Monk

From 30 on up, nothing really wrong with MNK for CoPs, either. /WAR and /NIN are common subs. Only problem with MNK is that they don't really add much versatility to the group.

Thief

Harmed deeply not by level cap, but by the nature of many BCNMs. Its quite difficult to coordinate SATA at times. Some NMs reset hate on TP moves, redering enmity control pointless. Very respectable BC kiter, however, which is an asset for quite a few BCNMs. Lots of missions require farming and some CoP quests have notable drops, so THF isn't entirely shunned from participating in CoPs.

White Mage

A very essential CoP job from the get-go and a must for 6-4. WHM is your lifeline for many missions and not something to be overlooked. Access to earliest cures and raise spells, Benediction is a livesaver in a pinch.

Black Mage

Skillchain and Magic Burst help greatly with BCNMs and NMs in CoP, so BLM is a fixture for these missions as well. BLMs these days go /RDM, but /WHM will better serve you here since PTs may need the cures. Save the fireworks for when they're requested.

Red Mage

RDM's life begins in CoPs at 40, they're not really useful for the 30 caps and have no Raise or Refresh yet. 40 cap liberates them somewhat by granting access to Convert. RDM is used to kite BCs such as 2-5, but I've personally never seen the point, but its worked or some people.

Now, on to the extra jobs:

Paladin

Some say NIN is the better CoP tank, I don't think there's a contest to win here. With hate reset moves and attacks that can ignore buffs and knock you to critical HP, all NIN's advanages mean very little. PLD can hold its own just fine and is sometimes called upon to kite NMs as well as be main tank.

Dark Knight

Similar to RDM, things start looking up for DRK at the 40 caps. Stun is a valuble tool for many BC fights. DD improves as more spells and levels open up.

Bard

Bard, surprisingly, has very little to offer in any of the 30, 40 or 50 caps. Its not that buffs aren't useful, its just that time is so limited and BRD takes up a slot in a PT that could be filled with a DD that can do spike damage. People want a quick decisive win and BRD just buffs. Doesn't help thier second tier of Ballad sits at 55. RDM and COR are looked upon for refresh abilities since they gain access sooner. That said, BRD is loved at 60 cap and uncapped, their power is finally realized and an asset to missions from 60+

Ranger

Like BLM, one of your best early sources of damage. Spike damage from Barrage and Eagle Eye Shot help bring decisive wins, along with Sidewinder at 60+. Wide Scan abilities help make zones more managable to navigate since maps for CoP zones can be difficult to obtain.

Beastmaster

BST also has access to Wide Scan, so in that regard, they have that same navigation utility like RNG. Most NMs in these BCs can't be slept anyway, so pet melee isn't going to hurt chances at a win or break a sleep in early capped fights, but can be a bother some in 50+ fights where some NMs can be slept. BSTs are also BC kiters and fairly good DD at 50+. Always bring HQ jug pets to BCs, preferably good DD/Enfeebling pets like SaberSivarde, Keeneared Steffi, ChopsueyChucky or LifedrinkerLars.

Summoner

SMN is another CoP powerhouse, DD Blood Pacts and Astral Flow help bring down NMs fast and hard for decisive wins. Also sometimes a kiter and a healer, but in the case of these missions, mostly a mix of healing and DD.

Ninja

NIN is good for a lot of situations, tanking, kiting - pretty much anything people love NINs for already. Nothing missing here, gets even better at 40 caps.

Samurai

SAM is much the same case as WAR, but more straightforward and just sought out to DD. In extremely time-sensive BCs, SAMs should certainly consider having a /RNG sub prepared in addition to /WAR and /NIN . SAM 2-hour + Sidewinders =

Dragoon

DRG is in the same position early on as MNK. Its not that they're bad DDs, its just there's not much that puts them ahead of the pack. That said, DRG has a wide berth of subjobs to help out with in CoPs, the best of which might be /BLU, /WHM or the standard DD subs. DRG/Mage definately has its perks in lower caps, the benefit of an enmity-free healer via the Wyvern pet is a hard point to argue over.

Blue Mage

BLU's numerious stun-type spells and support and DD spells bring a lot to the table. BLU should be approached with stuns and curing in mind for BCs over DD spells, however. As BLU gets higher, its ability to lock down NMs with its stuns almost gets absurd. Throw in BLM and DRK stunners and its practically criminal what BLUs and those guys get away with.

Corsair

Your first best party "refresher" since Evoker's Roll is level 40. And unlike BRD, its able to help bring damage to the table along with its buffs. Mages subs aren't terribly practical here, go with /RNG for DD or /NIN to take less damage. Sushi it up either way to make those shots count.

Puppetmaster

Due to the design of automation attachments/frames/heads and the quests surrounding them, its hard to suggest a PUP persue CoPs until they have the SoulSoother headpiece for thier automation, having the Soulreaver head piece isn't bad either. Thankfully, attachments aren't level restricted, so once those quests are done, PUP can bring a lot more to the table than they do starting out.

Dancer

The nature of buffs/TP wiping upon entry to BCs hinders DNC as a healer, but Drain Samba and Curing Waltzes are helpful. Its probably best to wait to start DNC at 40 caps when Reverse Flourish becomes available, not to mention your final Step - Stutter Step will be as useful to mages as Box Step and Quickstep are to melee. Icarus Wings can be a way around the TP issue, but you're stuck in medicated status if you don't win the first time. Opo Necklace and sleep potions will be helpful items in uncapped missions, as will /SAM at 60+

Scholar

SCH does just fine in all caps, it just lacks raise for 30 caps, so PTs relying on SCH as a healer will want to bring RR earrings or other RR items (which you should be doing for CoPs in any case >.>). They can shift between nuking, support and healing roles. Accession can bring some useful abilities to the table the higher you go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head for the time being. Discuss.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM.

Re: Jobs vs. the CoP Level Caps: A discussion

Wow pretty good describing them, I do agree with you RNG and BLM are some of the best DD's for CoP early on, I mean RNG can even one shot the starys around the orbs lol! gogo RNG? and I have not tried SCH yet but I do imagine it will be an awesome DD/healer for CoP, even at 30 cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
      Thief

[ ...] Very respectable BC kiter, however, which is an asset for quite a few BCNMs.
      THF absolutely shines for CoP 2.5.

With a pair of power boots, evasion/defense gear, Jack-o'-Lantern, and an inventory full of Hi/X-potions, a THF can easily kite two Mammets at once, leaving the party free to gang up on the first victim five to one.

Red Mage

[ ... ] RDM is used to kite BCs such as 2-5, but I've personally never seen the point, but its worked or some people.
      Two reasons: 1) Survivability, and 2) Once rejoin the rest of the party, can take over healing for a bit while the WHM rests up.

PTs relying on SCH as a healer will want to bring RR earrings or other RR items (which you should be doing for CoPs in any case >.>).
      No one who keeps "forgetting" to bring RR should be allowed to win CoP. Seriously.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        No one who keeps "forgetting" to bring RR should be allowed to win CoP. Seriously.
        There are a lot of people that somehow miraculously made it through CoPs with SMNs and BLMs manaburning it for them. Then they come back to "help" and never bring the essentials.

I'd like to take all thier jobs, delevel them to 3 and then burn them in a fire.

That aside, I've just never had a good experience with RDM kiters on Mammets since Gravity doesn't stick well and when it does, it doesn't stick long. I'd prefer a THF do it if one was along and RDM just stay with the people killing the mammet for cures, enfeebs, MBing SCs and such. Pet and NIN kiters are where I've had the wins, the RDM usually dies horribly when they try to kite. Maybe its just bad luck when I have a RDM for Kiting.
        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-04-2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

As with many things in FFXI, having multiple jobs ready to use on COP is a great help.

For Promy, especially, there's no reason not to have three or four jobs to offer a party-- you're going to need subjobs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            As with many things in FFXI, having multiple jobs ready to use on COP is a great help.

For Promy, especially, there's no reason not to have three or four jobs to offer a party-- you're going to need subjobs anyway.
            WAR and WHM are defacto subs for quite a few jobs, as is NIN. Yet you'd be surprised how many people want to come as their super-favorite #1 job.

Has a WAR that snunk /MNK in on me for a Promy Holla run last sunday. We just barely won and he was the tank. Basically, I had laid down EES and the hysterioanima wore off at like 3%. Holla NM just started spamming Shadow Spread (AoE Sleep + Curse).

From that point, I just said "Fuck it, whoever has another Hysterioanima, toss it as soon as you wake up and kill the bastard."

And that's exactly how it went down. WAR/MNK tossed out is Hysterio and BLM nuked it to hell, so I forgave the WAR for getting beaten senseless before. Wins a win.

Comment

I had the lovely time of taking Dragoon through CoP since that was the only job I had past 37 for the longest time. I made it work, however, and I enjoyed the experience every step of the way.

When I was leveling Blue Mage and Corsair, a friend of mine asked me to help out on some missions. Since I was in the middle of Blue Mage at the time, I told him that's what I'd bring to the fights. I got the ok since another Blue Mage was coming along and it was his first job.

We quickly saw how Blue Mage made CoP its bitch, very fast. Duo BLUs sitting there, face raping with stun-locks and constant DoT, was just insane on some fights (Diabolos was a joke; the party wiped at 80%, leaving the other BLU and myself alive. Just the two of us was all it took to take him from 80% to 0% within the time left. The rest of the party was dumbfounded).

Blue Mage is definately not without its drawbacks, but it's strengths are certainly not to be overlooked.

Comment

WAR and WHM are defacto subs for quite a few jobs, as is NIN. Yet you'd be surprised how many people want to come as their super-favorite #1 job.
                Everyone should level WAR and WHM to 37. Period.

NIN is useful for most people too, but expensive if you don't really need it.

Comment

Blue Mage

BLU's numerious stun-type spells and support and DD spells bring a lot to the table. BLU should be approached with stuns and curing in mind for BCs over DD spells, however. As BLU gets higher, its ability to lock down NMs with its stuns almost gets absurd. Throw in BLM and DRK stunners and its practically criminal what BLUs and those guys get away with.
                  Someone actually has a blog where half of their CoP set are BLU and they've been pretty successful so far. I think it's http://doink.mreh.net
                  My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                  Originally posted by Balfree
                  Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post

win
                    62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

Now, on to the advanced jobs:
                      Itaz and I both glare at you.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                        Itaz and I both glare at you.
                        My aim was to list them chonologically, not to slight.

Could have placed ToA and WotG jobs one 3rd and 4th tier like FFXIClopedia does
                        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

lol. I think Yellow Mage meant that the canonical term is "Extra Jobs", not "Advanced Jobs". (It's what S-E uses.)
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Everything you said is very insightful and i will refer to it when i build CoP groups very good post. I go to Promies regularily as RDM/WHM the extra MB and enfeebling helps. Yag Drinks Ethers if you got the gil fix the no convert or refresh. But like you said 40 plus is where it reall shines.

sig courtesy tgm
                            retired -08

Comment

Working...
                            X