The Legacy of Muffin: A hard taru decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Legacy of Muffin: A hard taru decision

I've returned to playing my original character much of late, a little Tarutaru named Foobar. He's the character I made the most mistakes with and I'm struggling to redefine him and balance him against what I play on Kitten.

I suppose you could say he's actually the breadwinner of the two characters, he's the main crafter and I consider his main BST, which really helps with moneymaking on its own merits as well as being a fun job. I enjoy SCH as well, probably the first mage job aside from BLU that really turns my crank.

Which brings me to a hard decision, I really like DRG, too. Got it all the way to 60 before shelving it. Big problem is that all the subjobs DRG needs I've levelled more of on Kitten and I've decided to put Kitten down the path of PLD, BLU and DNC anyway. I think you can see where this is going, particularly considering Kitten is already 37 BLU and I don't really have and interest levelling BLU on Foobar. Visions of Homam dancing in my head and all that. The Legacy of Muffin the Wyvern looks to be moving to Kitten.

There there is BRD at 75 and RDM at 65. I think we know how I feel about these, while I enjoyed them for a time, I've come to hate playing both with ever fiber of my being. I feel these roles chain me up quite a bit in EXP and endgame. Plus while RDM does have solo cabablity, it just doesn't match the fun of BST for me. RDM just plays it too safe, BST lives in danger.

I would like a "merit" variety of job for Foobar, however, not to mention something that helps me get what I want for BST. And then I got to thinking about my crafting goals and looked at NIN. Foobar's a cook, pretty katana wait at 57 for +3 cooking skill. Not only that, the God Gear from Sky is mostly what I'd like for BST and NIN can use it.

NIN I already do need to finish as a BST sub and I did enjoy levelling it on Kitten. Its an expensive job, but then, I've already levelled the most expensive ones so I think I can stomach this one.

It takes Foobar out of the endgame mix a bit longer, but I feel its better than punishing myself by levelling something I don't like. Additionally, I lose one soloable job, but gain another while giving a Kitten a 2nd soloable job I have considerable experience with, adding more freedom to Kitten.

Good plan?

Re: The Legacy of Muffin: A hard taru decision

What's your time available for FFXI like?
    [LadyKiKi]
    Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
    .:|The Prototype BST|:.
    Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Lots of time separated by adequate amounts of time.

Comment

Well, keep in minds the merits you'd want; don't cram too many jobs needing different merits in same category onto one character.

PLD: Sword, Shield, Critical Hit received-, and ... um... SIR-?! Parrying? (lol every bit helps, I suppose.)
        BST: Axe, Critical Hit+, maybe Scythe?
        DRG: Polearm, Critical Hit+, and whatever...
        COR: Sword, Marksmanship, etc. (You'd know better than me.)
        SCH: Nothing physical! (Yay!) Elemental Magic, Enfeebling Magic.

So, you can pretty much level SCH without worry, but may want to be more careful about how to allocate other jobs. (Or, you can just put everything on Kitten, and hope S-E will raise the combat skill and misc. category limits soon.)
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

How did you ever find the time to level all those jobs on 3 different chars? I know I did some leveling on my mules so they could travel. But I never saw myself go as far as you have.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Kitten is 8/8 Marksmanship, 8/8 Sword, 4/4 Dagger. I'm currently reconsidering dagger for archery since I don't think I'll need Dagger merits so badly and RNG is #2. Sword covers PLD and BLU well enough. DRG I'll just have to live without polearm merits, but I'm still working toward max STR and Critical Hit Rate merits. Sheild merits I'd have to go without, but again, PLD and DRG are more for fun than main mains for me. This also would leave magic merits open wide for BLU and PLD.

Foobar's combat merits are undefined as of yet, I can go 8/8 axe for now, SCH can consume all the magic merits. NIN, being for fun, can have some katana merits, but I'd let the Ninjutsu skill stand.

Where do I find the time, well, I don't know if I have all the time for that immediately, I'm just thinking of the future and an attack plan. I've been playing for a long time now, I'd like to start seeing just a little more closure on levelling stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by little ninja View Post
              How did you ever find the time to level all those jobs on 3 different chars? I know I did some leveling on my mules so they could travel. But I never saw myself go as far as you have.
              I think once you get one character to 75, its a heck of a lot easier to do it again with another. You know what you're doing and know the ins and outs of the game. I've had up to 8 characters with at least one job to 75 and some on different servers. The biggest pain for me was missions.
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Well, I'll have to say, as a Mithra Dragoon, you'll have a lot of fun indeed. The two-hand update gave Mithra an edge in that job over other races, and it's easily noticeable when we can convert 75% of our DEX (the highest in the game) directly into Accuracy, leaving open plenty of slots to load up STR and Attack all along the level curve. Additional Accuracy Bonus traits and natural Accuracy+ in gear a Dragoon would want and could equip anyways also helps. Mithra almost have it a bit too easy in this job...

I find myself running into many of the same questions and concerns you are on Kitten as I level Paladin (52 as of this post) and Dancer (50, waiting on DNC AF). While I don't already have as many merits as you do, I still have the decisions to make over which ones to go after, and which to not waste time with.

I find it rather eerie, actually. With the exception of BST, RDM, and BRD, we're starting to share the same jobs, Kitten. Stop scanning my mind.

Comment

Tossing this out as a random bit, but, maybe go for Monk on Foobar, nothing more satisfying than h2h with the "lesser" races as elvaans and galka put it.

For kitten, could do the same, or maybe toss it up with thf, which would make future use of homam for a pld and blu char.
                  Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

I'd do MNK if I could actually stomach the questing for the belts. I really passionately hate NMs on the 21-24 hour cycle and that's what most of them NMs rely on. Plus I'd really just prefer to wait and see if SE ever bothers to add some brains to the job, I never found it all that fun when I levelled it

Comment

lol I feel your pain. I have a taru and a galka, and I'm seriously considering level Paladin at the moment but I dont know which to do it on.

Taru is farther in the game, has more fame, quests done, rank 5, past promyvion in CoP, etc. Has a bunch of stuff past level 37 to sub with...except warrior. :E It's at 19. Taru also has an added bonus for awesomeness. Loses a few points for being named Nataka, a name I really dont like that much anymore. XD But again gains points for having so many of the 'standard' sub jobs for various other jobs leveled up, such as ninja, white mage, black mage, red mage, etc.

Galka has warrior at 37 and samurai at 38 (though that wouldnt matter for paladin), but doesnt have ninja and is still at rank 2. Galka has added bonus of less racism and a better name.

Oh decisions

Comment

Ninja is all kinds of awesome. And since have you have so many jobs, and money most likely, there's no reason not to level it.

No, I do not have a life.

Comment

Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
                          Tossing this out as a random bit, but, maybe go for Monk on Foobar, nothing more satisfying than h2h with the "lesser" races as elvaans and galka put it.

For kitten, could do the same, or maybe toss it up with thf, which would make future use of homam for a pld and blu char.
                          You lied... Nothing is more satisfying then backflips
                          [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

While backflips are nice and all, I'd still like to wait and see if MNK ever gets some abilities that make players put an actual conscious effort into the job. I know its asking a lot, but the job needs a some brains put in it badly, AFK MNKs are the norm these days for a reason.

Comment

Possibly those brains could be added with the kick adjustments S-E said there would be?

/shrug

/gil 2
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                              X