Need an intro to the world of mages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an intro to the world of mages

I'm planning on leveling a job up high enough so that come christmas (when I get WotG), I can unlock SCH and try that out. But I dunno where to start. I can choose from WHM BLM RDM and SMN, all past 20, so no worries about the dunes. Check my profile for the specific levels. Anyways, I'm not really used to mages yet, especially in terms of gear (for RDM at least). I've been a melee-DD for a long time. So I was wondering, which of those 4 jobs would be a nice kick-off into learning mages and having fun? So far I'm thinking RDM BLM or SMN, but SMN I only got 2 avatars (have to get the rest by solo fights). WHM is alright, but as said I'm looking more towards RDM BLM and SMN. So any nudges or tips on what to do?

Re: Need an intro to the world of mages

RDM is a close approximation of SCH as long as you don't play one of the melee RDMs who's flailing away at monsters every chance they get with a toothpick.

It also turns out to be a reasonably good subjob for Scholar.

Best thing to know about Scholar and most other mage jobs is that you're NOT a melee, and you don't need (nor usually want) to be up close and personal smacking a monster. The only exception to this rule is Blue Mage.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
      RDM is a close approximation of SCH as long as you don't play one of the melee RDMs who's flailing away at monsters every chance they get with a toothpick.
      I thanked you just so I could remove it.

That post just fills me with so much . . .

. . . desire to do that to you!

Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend you start off with WHM or BLM if you're at all worried. It's far easier to learn how to do one role, then do two at once than it is to learn to balance both. Also, I'm pretty sure they give you a little more MP to work with, although MP conservation is an important skill to learn.

SMN will probably not be much help at all, since SMN itself plays very differently from mage jobs, or when it's curewhoring, it's basically a WHM with more MP and weaker cures.

Getting BLM up for Warp is a good idea, plus that gets you to a good level to level WHM for teles and subjob use.

Comment

Start off as WHM or BLM. RDM requires you to know how to handle both tasks at that level for the most part depending on what a party invites you for.
          Cleverness - Hades
          75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
          DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

Working...
          X