No announcement yet.

Ninja or Paladin Which one to be????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ninja or Paladin Which one to be????

Well to be technical SE does officially list them as "Advanced Jobs"
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

One thing worth noting is that PLD is primarily a main job (situationally it can be useful as a sub; Kamiel likes to go RDM/PLD a lot of the time when not xping or in a situation that demands otherwise), whereas most jobs can benefit in some way from having /NIN available, whether for solo, meripo, xp generally, endgame situations, etc. There's a fairly good chance regardless of job choice that you'll be taking NIN to 37 eventually.

That said, it's probably not the best choice for a first advanced job simply because of the difficulty of supplying the job before you've got a powerful other job to go beat stuff up with. It's certainly not necessary to have a high level job, particularly if you have friends to help with the NIN flag quest and navigating SSG, but given the high consumables cost it can be very helpful.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Definitely PLD. Every PLD tank I've ever had was better than a NIN tank PT. If you want to talk tanks. Decide if you want to be a TANK or something more. If you want to be the best tank, go PLD. If you also want to be able to solo, or play other roles, or have a good sub for half of the other jobs, be a NIN
        Current Server: Asura
        Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
        Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
        Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
        Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
        Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
          Well to be technical SE does officially list them as "Advanced Jobs"
          Oh?

From the English POL page:
          Extra Jobs
          From the Japanese POL page, that's "Extra Job", transliterated.
          エキストラジョブ
          On the French page, it's listed as "Extra Jobs", and on the German page, "Zusatzjobs"--you can look up the German one yourself if you're really interested.

From POL's Q&A entries:
          What is the "Change Jobs" option in the Mog House menu?

This allows you to change your character's job class. You can freely change among standard jobs by selecting "Change Jobs" from your Mog House menu. The standard job classes are Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Thief. You will also be able to select from extra jobs after you have satisfied certain requirements.

And, this:
          What is a standard job?

A standard job is any of the six job classes available to a player at the beginning of the game. They are Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, and Thief.

And, this:
          What are extra jobs?

These are job classes that you can select for your character once certain requirements have been met. Initially, the extra job classes include Paladin, Dark Knight, Beastmaster, Bard, and Ranger, but there are numerous others as well.
          Is that technical enough?
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Even back during the NA Beta, I always read the jobs available from Lv30 quests referred to as advanced jobs by players. Do we know if this was ever the terminology used by SE? I know it is entirely possible that players give them this name, but I'd also not be surprised to see SE changing their terminology over the past 5 years.

Looking at the SE Q&A I see the What are extra jobs? topic was created all the way back on 06/09/2003. I cannot believe we have been using the wrong terminology for so long. Nearly every guide and website refers to them as advanced jobs.

New players will undoubtably still see this at Allakhazam:
            Jobs List
            Standard Jobs:
            Black Mage
            Monk
            Red Mage
            Thief
            Warrior
            White Mage

Advanced Jobs:
            Bard
            Beastmaster
            Blue Mage
            Corsair
            Dancer
            Dark Knight
            Dragoon
            Ninja
            Paladin
            Puppetmaster
            Ranger
            Samurai
            Summoner
            Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Well, the Japanese term, エキストラジョブ, is really just how Japanese would (mis)pronounce the English words "Extra Job".

There may have been mistranslation to "Advanced Job" at some point, but even then "Extra Job" would be correct, since this game is Japanese, and that is the term used used in the Japanese (the canonical) literature.

I dislike the label "Advanced" because it seems to imply those are somehow "better" or less suitable for "beginners"; neutral terms like "standard" and "extra" are much better, IMO, and are what S-E uses.

- Mugaku

Comment

Found my answer:
                http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jobs

The manual really is the catalyst of all this referring to them as advanced jobs. I'm in agreement with here forward calling them extra jobs.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else have memories from when they first got to Jeuno and saw JP players in full DRK AF and thought they were amazing? It really is some terrible armor, but I'd love to see the game capped at Lv60 again.
                Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Oh, that debate. I don't recall seeing "Advanced Jobs" in my manuals, and I'm too lazy to find mine...

- Mugaku

Comment

Must be brady games guide syndrome or something, 'cause even in the manual it says Extra Jobs >_>

... where the hell did the term "advanced jobs" come from then? damn the brainwashing!
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X