No announcement yet.

Tank Jobs - How many are there in FFXI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tank Jobs - How many are there in FFXI?

I've seen my SAM friend tank quite effectively against VTs in the 50s with Seigan and a Regen II slapped on her by myself. I wouldn't want a SAM tank without a bona fide WHM backing them up, but. -- Pteryx

Comment

Just a small notes the jobs that I listed can tank in all parts of the game, to be honest if you want to make any job a tank job you can do it.
      [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
        Just a small notes the jobs that I listed can tank in all parts of the game, to be honest if you want to make any job a tank job you can do it.
        But there is a difference between being able to tank and being able to tank effectively

I've had plenty of pts 50+ with War tanks, but if/when they get replaced as tanks by either a pld or nin, things go much smoother on average. Especially on Colibri, who Plds and Nins can tank like nothing, Wars get eaten alive. Though I can't comment on how well Sam does as I haven't seen one actually try to tank.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
          But there is a difference between being able to tank and being able to tank effectively
          I've had plenty of pts 50+ with War tanks, but if/when they get replaced as tanks by either a pld or nin, things go much smoother on average. Especially on Colibri, who Plds and Nins can tank like nothing, Wars get eaten alive. Though I can't comment on how well Sam does as I haven't seen one actually try to tank.
          OK let me try the rephrase again.

Any job can tank in any stage of the game, the jobs I listed in my original post Ninja, Warrior, and Paladin tend to tank smoother overall. Depending on the player skill, dedication, and gil any job in the game can tank their way thru exping.
          [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

<_< I'm planning on taking war to 75 being a counter tank with /sam and /mnk on my mithra. I've seen how insane a GA war with a decent amount of gear that any person can more or less easily get, it is possible to be effective that way. Then do the same again on Sam and blu @_@;

60-62 I've done phalanx tanking on rdm/war against puks. Stoneskin before each fight helped build some hate. Usual enfeebles really helped keep it on. 75 whm/nin in a spinner merit party, mhmmm stole hate from a pld/sam and pld/nin lawl best fun ever. Lets see, thf/war in bikini bay mid 60s against crows, tricky, but do able. Thats all I got @_@
            Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Pld and Nin are basically the only two jobs labeled as tanks by the community. There are other jobs that can tank, but people don't think of them as simply being a "tank job."

But that doesn't exactly mean Pld and Nin are the best tanks either. In my most recent party I was tanking as Blu/War, and it went very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post

I was in a merit party last night, where we were doing Greater Colibri. We had a PLD tank to start, and once we got a MNK in the pt, we were doing around 10k exp an hour.

After the PLD left, he was replaced by a SAM, and I became "main tank". End result? We still ended up doing around 10k exp an hour.

Seriously, adding X job as a tank doesn't automatically equate to a set amount of exp/hour.
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by Solymir View Post
                  An Ls mate once told me that SE intended for Sam to be a tank. What do you think/know?
                  SE said at the fan festival that this is completely false.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

i tanked pretty damn well in altep on rdm/whm
                    (dont remember how but i know it went well)

Read if you don't value your braincells.

Comment

Working...
                    X