Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new opportunity for Necromancer?

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    As for Demi being too powerful, the spell always led to diminishing returns, each successive use knocked off less HP than the previous one. That would apply even if you had two people casting in succession. It was 1/4 of whatever the current HP was, it would never be based on the original HP. In any event, you could slap a large recast on it and place it above sub level so RDM couldn't exploit it.
    you can start off each fight with the mob being at 75%. take a pld tank with you to get hate back asap and well, yea.
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I might actually on the wrong track about Demi in any case, its already in the game as Gravity and described as a form of Time Magic on Wiki. Even the in-game graphics for it are reminicent of how the spell looked in other games, but instead of lowering HP it lowers movement speed and evasion.

Little more digging on the FFV Necromancer: They learn their spells by defeating enemies that know them. Its not exactly the same way Blue Mage does it since your targets for learning are much more specific. Necromancer's line of spells is dubbed "Dark Arts" and not Black Magic, so it appears to be a different line of spells.

Blue Magic was getting hit or seeing the enemy ability happen before beating them. Dark Arts just seems to be killing they guy that knows the spell. Splitting hairs, perhaps, but FFVI did have two variations of Blue Mage.
      Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-23-2007, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Let's be honest, I can't see S-E ever doing justice to the necro class in FFXI. Feign dead, rezzes, summon corpse, and lich form on top of all the existing pet abilities a Pup already has. It'd break FFXI in half. Anything less than that and you'd know you were playing a weaksauce version of the original. I did like your spell ideas especially as you'd put some work into keeping them in an FF setting but I feel the combination of them and the necro-defining abilities would just be too powerful.

Just play Vanguard or EQ if you want to enjoy the true Necromancer experience. As an aside, the Vanguard necro is a hella fun class to play so far.

Comment

Necro is just one of those things that can't happen due to how other jobs have the same traits or abilities already. It's like how Time Mage won't happen cause RDM/WHM/BLM have almost all of its abilities. We honestly have enough jobs in this game to be honest, unless its a tanking class nothing else should be considered. We have ENOUGH DD as it is.
          Cleverness - Hades
          75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
          DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

While I can see and understand the wanting of Necromancer, I'd, at least personally, much rather see jobs which have more of a presence in the Final Fantasy series show up before Necromancer. Mystic Knight, Engineer, even some of the weirder jobs from FFTA, such as Juggler or Gadgeteer (which I think is more connected to Edgar than Engineer as we've seen it in most games) would be fantastic additions. We have more than enough in the final fantasy mythos as it is, I'd like to see those explored before we tried others.

Comment

If there are going to be any new jobs any time soon, I want them to be Chemist, Beserker and Geomancer. Those are the last three classic jobs we'd ever need, in my opinion.

Chemist could be a support class and use special tools (similar to Ninja Tools maybe?) as ingredients to create various mixes for beneficial effects for party members and detrimental effects and attacks on enemies. Beserker could be a heavy damage dealer capable of using extreme attack and speed buffs at the expense of large amounts of defense, eveasion and whatnot. Geomancer could be a tanking class using elemental attacks and shields based on their environments.

That's what I'd generally expect from these jobs if SE ever actually added them. There's certainly a lot of room for interpretation of these particular jobs by the development team in comparison to their roles in older games. However with jobs like Time Mage, Gambler and Sorcerer already implemented in the sets of jobs like White/Red Mage, Corsair and Red Mage respectively, I think these three are the most major classic jobs that have yet to be added and still have a place in the game.
              PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
              Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
              WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
              Currently Playing:
              FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Illuen View Post
                While I can see and understand the wanting of Necromancer, I'd, at least personally, much rather see jobs which have more of a presence in the Final Fantasy series show up before Necromancer. Mystic Knight, Engineer, even some of the weirder jobs from FFTA, such as Juggler or Gadgeteer (which I think is more connected to Edgar than Engineer as we've seen it in most games) would be fantastic additions. We have more than enough in the final fantasy mythos as it is, I'd like to see those explored before we tried others.
                Well, Mystic Knight's biggest problem is SE gave their job-defining abilities to RDM with En-spells, so there would have to be away to work around that without taking away from RDM. Perhaps a Runic Ability akin to Celes could be one way of doing that - absorbing a spell with their sword, then chanelling it into a damaging attack in the next turn. You could skew them to a tanking class, I guess, but most people would shreik in horror in regards to tanking with any job that can't cure itself or blink damage.

People are wimpy like that in FFXI. Any other MMO would embrace such a class with open arms, but Utsusemi ruined any future tank potential for FFXI. WARs aren't even seen as tanks now and they can tank.

FFTA jobs... ehhh. A lot of the ones that debuted in that game were really worthless. Gageteer and Templar were ok, but things like Animist, Fencer, Sniper and others were frivelous or redundant. What's the real difference between a Sniper and an Archer, anyway?

Originally posted by Pai Pai Master
                Chemist could be a support class and use special tools (similar to Ninja Tools maybe?) as ingredients to create various mixes for beneficial effects for party members and detrimental effects and attacks on enemies. Beserker could be a heavy damage dealer capable of using extreme attack and speed buffs at the expense of large amounts of defense, eveasion and whatnot. Geomancer could be a tanking class using elemental attacks and shields based on their environments
                Yeah, I think Chemist/Alchemist would be an interesting addtion, like I said before, just playing around with Rikku's Overdrive shows the vast potential it could have in FFXI, all that needs to be done is ensure it doesn't take away from the alchemy craft. Most people dismiss the idea based on the craft, but what's to say the job class couldn't be a bit more radical and play outside the rules of traditional alchemy?

Berzerker seems like a challenge to implement. The only real series examples we have to draw from are FFV, FFX-2 (which weren't hybrids) and then Gau and Vincent Valentine, who were BZK/BLU and RNG/BZK respectively.

They couldn't equip weapons, so they'd have to have the STR, AGI and DEX to back up the lack of weapons, not to mention H2H skill with exclusive WS, most likey. But then, this is much like Engineer, its something they can take more liberties with than other jobs.

Geomancer is well-trodden and I think lots of good arguments have been made for it. I'm still partial to Mog's version Geomancer, though.
                Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 02-24-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X