Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fleshed-out Job Concepts

Originally posted by Dymlos View Post
    Lord Nat, we already have Gambler job, it's called Corsair. And if they used that concept no one would use it unless they had 999,999,999 Gil.
    He seemed to differentiate it very clearly from Corsair, which is all about buffs with random potency and /ra dmg. But I will admit, having a job that takes cash to pay for abilities directly does seem a bit off. It would be better if the 'slots' were more a stackable item based ability like War's Tomahawk or Drg's Agnon, where you need a stack of said item to make use of an ability. It would also help more in that if you were to ever change your offhanded weapon slot you'd lose TP. So just having it an item-based ability would allow you to keep your TP, use numerous abilities and have them based on finacial standings.

Perhaps call the items 'Tokens' or 'coins' that you buy in stacks and need multiple types per each ability.

Though having said that, a Random DD would be fairly difficult to play and balance and the actual term 'Gambler' is supposedly seen as a 'bad' thing in JP...which is why they didn't use the term for Corsair.
    Last edited by Ziero; 10-05-2007, 08:17 AM.
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
      He seemed to differentiate it very clearly from Corsair, which is all about buffs with random potency and /ra dmg. But I will admit, having a job that takes cash to pay for abilities directly does seem a bit off. It would be better if the 'slots' were more a stackable item based ability like War's Tomahawk or Drg's Agnon, where you need a stack of said item to make use of an ability. It would also help more in that if you were to ever change your offhanded weapon slot you'd lose TP. So just having it an item-based ability would allow you to keep your TP, use numerous abilities and have them based on finacial standings.

Perhaps call the items 'Tokens' or 'coins' that you buy in stacks and need multiple types per each ability.

Though having said that, a Random DD would be fairly difficult to play and balance and the actual term 'Gambler' is supposedly seen as a 'bad' thing in JP...which is why they didn't use the term for Corsair.

Mostly the idea of Gill used to pay for the powers is a way to make it unlike most of the other classes, making it worth taking the risk as well. In the middle of a quest in mines or something it sucks you run out of you stack, but with Gambler you can just kill some Beast Men or open a Bazaar. It as well makes you think of your money before you go about your battle plan. While it is random it is still a vary tactical and management heavy class.

To fix the balance something can be done like in FF6 where the slots are slightly rigged. Such as most slots of the middle powers that are about normal power level that come up the most then high and lower level powers that come up less often. That way keeping the Randomness of it while balancing the fact that some one might just get lucky and roll 10-10-10 on Damage Slot all the time.

Another thing I wanted to do with the class was make it be able to play a wide roll in combat (somewhat like a Blu mage) but never being sure what roll it might play.

Playing a Gambler will take skill in knowing what your slots do and what slot to use at any given time. A Damage slot spammer is going to be a crappy Gambler as he is going to pull a LOT of hate and might deal little to no damage (or a lot). But a Gambler that things ahead and sees a role needed in the party will do things like using the Moogle Slot to boost him self for use of the Damage or Magic slot while on the side pumping Beast Men Slots (have been working of that idea a little, one for each main type of beast men based around it's none blue magic stuff). You as well need a party that can react to the changing mood of the lady luck. Such as the white mage taking the luck that Mog Dance came up to be able to aid in other ways for a short time.

It's a very advanced class in all, just needs a little more work.

Comment

The only real thing is SE has defined COR as FFXI's Gambler and if you look beneath the surface, its there hidden in the COR Job and AF storyline, Qultada practically wears Setzer on his sleeve.

First off, there's Qultada, loaded to the brim in melancholy and gambler-speak, the there's the name of his crew - the Seagull Phratrie. Setzer's last name, Gabbiani, is Italian for "Seagull." AF body is also somewhat of an homage to Setzer, with all the lacy frills down the center.

Setzer's final weapon in FFVI (at least the current version) is Final Trump, our AF1 is Trump gun.

Fun fact about Setzer - he was not created or designed by Sakaguichi, Kitase or Amano. He was actually created by Tetsuya Nomura. This actually makes sense of why Setzer makes an appearance in Kingdom Hearts 2, which features Nomura's Final Fantasy characters.

That aside, Gambler has changed up in each interation of the series. Reels and Dice were part of FFVI, FFVII and FFX-2's takes, but Selphie from FFVIII just pulled random (powerful) spells out of now where and the option could be refreshed, but the system always picked the spell at random. So she was a gambler, too, but in a different way.

The famous Gil Toss/GP Rain actually was born from Samurai in FFV. Setzer's Reels could be altered to do Gil Toss when a certain Relic was equipped.
        ------------------------------------------
        Just wanted to mention that last PUP update kinda screwed with my plans to write up chemist. The Automation, under /PUP actually brings more MP to the table than you could with a traditional subjob, which kinda stepped all over some of my ideas for Chemist, so I've had to go back to the drawing board on the whole damn thing.

In short, I was really working to make it a good subjob to alleviate the strain Curing puts on MP for classes like WHM and SMN. Endurance has become a big issue for WHM and I kinda feel a tool-based healer would answer a lot of problems, but a pet that can bring 450ish MP to the table under sub and be set up to cure could also arguably help a bit.

So that knocked a big part of my Chemist design for a loop, now I gotta figure out how I want to work around that.
        Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 10-06-2007, 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

So with the addition of a fleshed out Onion Knight in FFT for the PSP I actually think they can probably pull of Onion Knight in FFXI.
          75/37 BLM/WHM
          61/30 WHM/BLM
          50/25 RDM/BLM

Comment

Hay guys, how good would Geomancer be, right? And by good I mean terrible. D:

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but do you think we might only get 2 new jobs, based on the progression of new jobs in each expansion? Zilart got 4, Treasures got 3, Wings to get...2? Probably a stupid theory, but then again, there are an ass-load of jobs already, maybe they've gauged where they have to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Xhaztol View Post
              Hay guys, how good would Geomancer be, right? And by good I mean terrible. D:
              Geomancer would be just as good as they could make it.

EDIT: I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but do you think we might only get 2 new jobs, based on the progression of new jobs in each expansion? Zilart got 4, Treasures got 3, Wings to get...2? Probably a stupid theory, but then again, there are an ass-load of jobs already, maybe they've gauged where they have to stop.
              Zilart got 3, Smn was added via update before Zilart. And the 'gauge where to stop' would be around the same time they stop adding onto the game itself.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

well I'm happy and satisfied that Dancer is included. but really hoping they give the job really cool and useful abilities and really flexible roles in a party. and hopefully it's one of the more affordable jobs.

but I have a theory that SE might keep any more jobs a secret for players to discover themselves as they play, maybe.

lol that would be madness if like they added teh Mystic Knight job in secret but no one ever discovers they can unlock it and that it even exists in WoG.

Comment

Still hoping they come out with Mystic Knight and stick the quest in San d'Oria (Dancer is clearly done in Bastok as SE so heavily suggested with today's article)
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
                    well I'm happy and satisfied that Dancer is included. but really hoping they give the job really cool and useful abilities and really flexible roles in a party. and hopefully it's one of the more affordable jobs.
                    but I have a theory that SE might keep any more jobs a secret for players to discover themselves as they play, maybe.
                    lol that would be madness if like they added teh Mystic Knight job in secret but no one ever discovers they can unlock it and that it even exists in WoG.
                    I highly doubt SE would ever keep a new job secret as they are one of the biggest selling points of an expansion.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                    Still hoping they come out with Mystic Knight and stick the quest in San d'Oria (Dancer is clearly done in Bastok as SE so heavily suggested with today's article)
                    That does seem possible as Mystic Knight would fit the "mix of magic and sword" that made San D'Oria so powerful back in the day. And it would leave Time Mage, another strong possibility for this expansion, free to be quested in Windurst. Which would fit very well with it's magical history.
                    Last edited by Ziero; 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Geomancer would also work very well for windurst, since the Taru have a strong bond with both magic and nature.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X