This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character suggestion for noob?

Hello all! I don't want to start a flame fest or any such thing, but going to ask for a bit of a class argument. I've been reading through all the forums on the various classes, and they really seem to all be interesting classes. My question is this: what is a good class for a starting player to aim for so that groups should be relatively easy to get?

Now before you answer, I just ask that the usual cookie cutter "whatever you enjoy most" not be given . I played EQ for 5+ years, DAoC for 2+ and various other MMOGs as well, and let's face it. Some classes just don't get groups often. Some classes just don't get groups unless they have the greatest gear. So a real answer would be appreciated. Specifically, I'm looking to play a damage dealing type class, whether it's melee or caster but I would prefer one that isn't hugely gear dependant. For example, when I played EQ I had a killer ranger but at end game his dmg output "sucked" due to his bow being "subpar" (the one he used cost 30k plat as opposed to the next one up being 400k.....from what I can gather on FFXI's economy that seems to be about an equivalent of 1-2mil versus 300mil....might be a bit off on numbers, but you get the picture). So, with that being said, any suggestions?
    Nueinx

"And behold, a pale horse strode forth. And upon him rode death, and Hades followed with him."

Which FF Character Are You?

Re: Character suggestion for noob?

Hmm, a possibly a black mage? it's hard to say because each class have their luxury items to strive for.. nonetheless i would say that a black mage would be the DD (whether mage or melee) that gets a good invite rate with "generally" cheaper equipment than others (hmm.. but then again you have elemental staves to buy at 51 as well as AM, but I'm guessing more melee-ish jobs have it worse off).

Comment

i second that, my main is BLM at 64 right now, ive never really waited to long for PT invites, but lets face it..there will be "Bad days" every now and then where no invites come...and as for equips, just need +INT gear and your staves at 51, spells to..but those usually arent that expensive besides the AMs.

Comment

I agree with Black Mage. BLM is my main and I love it. The route I took seemed to work really well for starting out, so I'll suggest it to you.

1. Take Black Mage to 18. Get your subjob.
        2. Take Whitemage/BLM to 30. Sneak/Invis makes unlocking jobs easy as pie.
        3. Finish Whitemage/BLM to 37. WHM is now fully subbed out for BLM.
        4. Take Black Mage as high as you want to go, 75 perhaps.

You can substitute Red Mage for White Mage if you like, but I like having the -na and Teleport spells.

Even if you don't take BLM very high, steps 1 & 2 are very helpful because you will have access to Warp and an easy time at job unlocks. The only job unlocks that can't be solo'd by a 30 WHM are Dragoon, Ninja, Samurai, and you'd probably have difficulty with Summoner.
        Last edited by Haggai; 05-17-2006, 07:31 AM.
        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
        I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

Working...
        X